Why the secret GTY balcony?

RCIfan1912

I just thought of this since this is our first GTY balcony next month on Liberty. I did the "barcode scan trick" and found out what our room is. I was surprised how easy it was and it worked so well. My question is if the room is there, I can see it, it's pretty much been picked why the secret now? Why isn't it listed on the app or the website? Is there a strategic reason they don't tell you when it's clearly visible in some way? 

15 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I just thought of this since this is our first GTY balcony next month on Liberty. I did the "barcode scan trick" and found out what our room is. I was surprised how easy it was and it worked so well. My question is if the room is there, I can see it, it's pretty much been picked why the secret now? Why isn't it listed on the app or the website? Is there a strategic reason they don't tell you when it's clearly visible in some way? 

It doesn't happen very often but they can change it before it's officially assigned.

I can't tell you exactly what would cause the change but "they" must have their reasons.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

So my parents did a oceanview GTY for our cruise in March and their room was already assigned. I found out because I booked specialty dining and their room was next to their names. We still have 5 months before our sailing

I have a GTY for a March sailing too. I looked at my specialty dining that I booked but I don't see anything about a room. Where exactly was that number located? Curious if I'm just missing it or if it really is missing/unassigned yet.

On 10/27/2023 at 3:31 PM, Cactus527 said:

I have a GTY for a March sailing too. I looked at my specialty dining that I booked but I don't see anything about a room. Where exactly was that number located? Curious if I'm just missing it or if it really is missing/unassigned yet.

I used the app because I couldn't find Jamie's boarding day lunch on the planner via the website. When I made the reservation, it asked me for which people, and that is where I saw all of the room numbers. They booked a GTY ocean view on Symphony. I was VERY surprised that it was assigned this early. They were assigned half of a connecting room and we were already also able to swap them to a different room in the same category (same floor, same general location) but not connecting. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 2:55 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

When you do your check in 45 days out and you see your set sail pass there is a bar code on it. Scan it with your phone and you'll see a number. The last 4 numbers is your room number. 

I was going to try the bar code trick for our January cruise but first added the Set Sail pass into my Apple Wallet. When you do that, the numbers appear at the bottom of the pass without doing any scanning. 

7 minutes ago, Mturk said:

I was going to try the bar code trick for our January cruise but first added the Set Sail pass into my Apple Wallet. When you do that, the numbers appear at the bottom of the pass without doing any scanning. 

Awesome, that's the original way I learned about this trick but I don't have Apple devices so I had to do this way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2023 at 8:15 AM, Mturk said:

I hit 30 days out from my cruise a couple of days ago and now notice that the deck, room number and muster number all show up on the app.

2 hours ago, Shanethegriff said:

Was the location OK? Stand alone or adjoining room?

We've a JS GTY on Oasis in Feb...all JS appear to be sold out for our sailing...

Location is good, deck 6 pretty much mid-ship in a cluster of 4 JS. It’s an adjoining room but we’re not using it as such. Actually the only reason we did GTY was because that was the only JS option available for that sailing. It’s our first experience with it. 

7 hours ago, BRY7 said:

there's a slight chance of an upgrade but quite sure they blocked rooms for your booking

We just made final payment yesterday ahead of the Dec 17th deadline. Check in Jan 11th so hopefully not too much longer to wait to find out our room.

We're 3 adults, wife and I and we're bringing my mam so would be really nice to get some upgrade but we already agreed that a JS will do us just fine.

Has anyone else had success with the "dining reservation" trick? 

I'm also wondering if GTY from a TA works any differently than an GTY booked directly. My parents had their GTY assigned 5 months before our sailing, then were able to switch to a better room in the same category (but were still in an ocean view on the 3rd floor). Then we had one day of significant price drops and they upgraded to a GTY ocean balcony for only $60 total, were assigned their room for THAT GTY 4 months before sailing (6th floor forward), and our TA was already able to move them to the same category, but near us, on our floor (8th) towards aft. I know it is very rare to have room assignments that early, so I'm wondering if the fact that we booked through a TA made any difference. 

We have a Gty OV Bal...yesterday prior to checkin a cabin appeared on our app...it was a JS. TA called to verify if they had a room assigned...no...TA asked for screenshot...sent it...she checked with RC and they said it was odd but no. Checked in and did the transfer to Apple Wallet and it shows deck 11 and the cabin # in the last digits. It's an OV and more toward the back of the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting back...doing the wallet on my iphone I saw my cabin assignment but on my RC login it kept showing gty balc until today. Now it shows our cabin and yes it matched what we saw in the wallet. Not disappointed in the location and so I would count the savings of almost 1k when we booked as worth not being midship. Would I do it again? We'll see. lol