What's left to figure out?

PDXMum

My family and I will be taking our first cruise on Mariner of the Seas - Tortola, St. Kitts, San Juan, Coco Cay - next month and I've read and read and read and think we're all prepared.  Amazon purchases for essentials and helpfuls have been made.  We've got plans for each port stop.  On board purchases are pre-purchased.  I'm looking for any additional info that you smart people think would be handy for us to know!  We are a family of four - two boys ages 14 and 12.  Active, have a balcony room.  Not into organized shore excursions - would rather explore on our own. 

Thanks!

Here's a link at Amazon for luggage tags:  Amazon.com | Royal Caribbean Luggage Tag Holders by Cruise On [4 Pack] Fits All Royal Caribbean Ships & Tags for Cruises in 2023 & 2024 | Luggage Tags. A lot of us here use them. They're inexpensive and almost indestructible. I put them on the morning we are heading to the ship. A lot better than the paper ones you print off. Enjoy your cruise! 😎

On the Mariner we like to start our sailing with a Jaimes lunch to pour over the app regarding activities for the day. I suggest right as you board find your muster station and check in with your sea pass screenshots or paper copies.

Now relax, head up to Jaimes for a quiet less hectic start to your sailing. Your server is a plethora of information, ask him questions while you dine.

By the time you finish your relaxed leisurely lunch your cabin should be ready. Family time is precious, enjoy the family experience. 

FYI Jaimes is an extra cost but we would rather that then fighting for a quiet moment in WJ

Communication?

did you purchase internet for all? You can do 1 person 4 devices and gave 4 devices signed in at one time. You could do 1 person 2 devices  and knock each other off as you log in. Or some other variation

the 12 year old cannot get the app to communicate,I believe it’s13 and up. The rest of you could use the free messaging in the app to communicate while onboard  if you log into the 13 year old s device they can also communicate but it would look like it was coming from you. 

If the youngins are going to the teen club type stuff I recommend doing so on the first night. Due to their ages they may be in separate groups. The teens tend to meet on  the first night and not go back to organized activities again.

When I travel with my kids the rule is while onboard they must join us for dinner and the rest of the time is theirs. Set your rules before embarkation and ensure they understand them.

i f found sticky notes or other paper communication was key when we traveled without the app or WiFi.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, PDXMum said:

My family and I will be taking our first cruise on Mariner of the Seas - Tortola, St. Kitts, San Juan, Coco Cay - next month and I've read and read and read and think we're all prepared.  Amazon purchases for essentials and helpfuls have been made.  We've got plans for each port stop.  On board purchases are pre-purchased.  I'm looking for any additional info that you smart people think would be handy for us to know!  We are a family of four - two boys ages 14 and 12.  Active, have a balcony room.  Not into organized shore excursions - would rather explore on our own. 

Thanks!

I do not know if your boys would like this, but in San Juan, in the old city, there’sa big grass field near the ocean where one can fly a kite. I bought a couple of cheap foldable kites on Amazon. About $8 each. They had a blast because the wind was perfect. 

I am all for planning ahead and checking all of the boxes on the checklist.

On the other hand, I am also for doing the bare-minimum and letting each experience be new and surprising.

Finding yourself in the middle of this spectrum might be a good balance.  In 2023, it is easy to pre-plan and get so ahead of yourself that once you are on your first cruise, the mystery, allure, and adventure may be quite diminished.  For example, on our first cruise, we barely looked at any deck plans and we didn't know where anything was except for our room, the pools, and the buffet.  This allowed us to discover things on our own and I still remember the fun in that.  Our most recent cruise, we memorized nearly every detail of the ship and knew exactly what we were going to do, when we were going to do it, and how.  Afterwards, we realized that we missed out on some things that we passed by daily because we were so laser focused.  

To the OP: one month out, you can stop planning and just make sure you have the necessary things to at least get on board the ship (ie: documents, luggage, cash and credit cards...)  Relax and have fun.

How are you traveling to the port?  If by air, do you have your airport transfers figured out?  Be sure to check in online when you get your email.

Make sure you have the RC mobile app b/c it will have your daily cruise planner right in the app w/ all the days' activities.

Otherwise, it's little things like packing tips (as in definitely purchase the luggage tags linked above). Or knowing the only place to grab food when you board the ship is Windjammer & it will be packed... So many insider tips you learn from this blog - or from just cruising multiple times. Like the others said, just soak it in & enjoy.