2nd Icon Class Cruise Ship

On 7/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, Rackham said:

I can't see Royal introducing adult only sailings. Royal's niche isn't adult only; it's multigenerational families and people looking for that style of resort. It's like asking Virgin to allow kids on some of their ships when that's not where they're placing themselves in the market.

I agree. From a market department point of view it would also be a nightmare. All your advertising is around the whole family vacation... confusing that message with 'Whole family vacation apart from this ship' is just confusing to the market. 

If they wanted to compete in the adults only market you would be more likely to create a subsidiary, move this hip to the new company and market it under a different name. That way you get brand recognition for the subsidiary without confusing the brand and customers of Royal. 

On 7/20/2023 at 7:27 AM, ApexoftheSeas said:

How much bigger do you think icon 2 will be than icon 1? What new and different stuff would you like to see?

Might as well add two feet to make it an even 1200. I wonder what the upper limit is on length and width of ships, for the infrastructure, piers and terminals and such.

If the new train restaurant on Utopia is a hit, maybe they'll add that to Icon 2. They could even make a space travel restaurant, a sort of "Restaurant at the End of the Universe". Waitstaff could dress up in space suits or alien costumes. It would be fun.

Carnival is putting their latest and biggest ship in Galveston, so it makes even more sense for Royal to do the same. 

On 7/3/2023 at 3:05 AM, Rackham said:

I might be misunderstanding the European market for Royal, but I doubt an Icon-class will be positioned there for at least the first three ships. Europe is like Alaska in that it's port of call focused for the most part. The ship is less of the destination, versus in the Caribbean, so it doesn't make sense to run a ship class on these itineraries designed to draw people in due to the ship's resort amenities. Plus, Royal's going to want to run Icon-class where cruising and private island days are equal or greater than number of port days to maximize revenue capture too.

My bet is on Miami, Port Canaveral, and Galveston receiving the first three Icon-class ships.

First , European cruise currency is summer only for RCL (at least until 2025 were we might see one winter itinerary). Second , for the last 10 years there is an Oasis class ship doing the most must see ports and most of the time it's or fully booked or very near to that with prices range as much as twice for interior cabin comparing to the Caribbean market. It's actually depends when the ship is ready. If the ship will be ready at April you might see it going out from Europe considering it is being build in Europe.  If it will be ready during October and behind it will go directly to the US market. I think that what happened to Icon 1, it was planned to start from the UK but when the date was pushed it moved to the US. I don't think Royal will have all 3 Icons all the time in the US as it will impact the revenue of the 5 Oasis class ships (that is 1 of  the six Oasis is offering short itinerary) ...

But that is just my opinion.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:43 PM, twangster said:

It would be refreshing to see Royal not make icon 2 another Miami debut.  Galveston would be a good choice.  

It’s looking like a third cruise terminal is in the pipeline for Sydney.
A old industrial port about a hour south called port Kembla.
A 360 meter dock with ship LNG !

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/australian-cruisers-could-sail-out-of-wollongong-while-foreigners-enjoy-our-harbour-views/

12 hours ago, Chili said:

It’s looking like a third cruise terminal is in the pipeline for Sydney.
A old industrial port about a hour south called port Kembla.
A 360 meter dock with ship LNG !

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/australian-cruisers-could-sail-out-of-wollongong-while-foreigners-enjoy-our-harbour-views/

So Brisbane all over again, just in NSW?  

On 9/13/2023 at 6:57 PM, Chili said:

We try to upstage Brisbane,you though there cruise terminal is a mess just wait for port Kembla.

I mean... Brisbane have already upstaged us (at least for the moment) by having a port that can fit an Oasis-class ship (now if only Royal would send one down our way) 😛 At the moment, Brisbane is our best bet, and I don't think Port Kembla will be complete for at least another 3-5 years

3 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

I mean... Brisbane have already upstaged us (at least for the moment) by having a port that can fit an Oasis-class ship (now if only Royal would send one down our way) 😛 At the moment, Brisbane is our best bet, and I don't think Port Kembla will be complete for at least another 3-5 years

It would probably take that long to develop port Kembla. I don’t actually know if the channel and turning bay would take a Oassis.

Kembla has an excellent rail which could go from Central to the terminal in about a hour.

And the area around Wollongong is quite nice,I suppose it’s hard to compete with Brisbanes muddy river and the sewage plant next door. Not to mention no public transport .

10 hours ago, Chili said:

It would probably take that long to develop port Kembla. I don’t actually know if the channel and turning bay would take a Oassis.

Kembla has an excellent rail which could go from Central to the terminal in about a hour.

And the area around Wollongong is quite nice,I suppose it’s hard to compete with Brisbanes muddy river and the sewage plant next door. Not to mention no public transport .

I've cruised from New Jersey.  Brisbane sounds quite nice!

On 9/16/2023 at 8:54 AM, Jamesszy94 said:

I know it’s not a oasis but explorer has been there a couple of times.  
Rumour is Gavin smith is keen .

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/news-and-publications/2019-news/explorer-of-the-seas-cruises-into-port-kembla/