Free food: Best snack and hack

I make kind of a poor man's charcuterie tray. I go to the Windjammer early and make a plate of sliced meats, cheeses, crackers, sliced veggies with dressing for dip and what-not and take that back to the room for "Happy Hour".  Mrs Fan and I nosh while getting ready for the evening. She drinks wine and I get a whiskey. Sit out on the balcony and chill with the snacks.

Being gluten free the only option for dessert in the MDR so far has been Ice Cream.  On one of the ships they wouldn't even let me have that since it wasn't gluten free.  Before dinner I would get packaged Udi's cookies from the Cafe Promenade, which are kept frozen, and carry it to dinner.  That way when everyone is enjoying their dessert I could still have a sweet but safe treat.  BTW, they always offer the Snickerdoodle  first and you have to ask for the Chocolate Chip cookies.  But, on Liberty of the Seas in April the cookies had an expiration date of May 2023 and they were rock hard.  I couldn't even break it apart with my hands so there was no way I was eating them and they went into the trash.

5 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

Being gluten free the only option for dessert in the MDR so far has been Ice Cream.  On one of the ships they wouldn't even let me have that since it wasn't gluten free.  Before dinner I would get packaged Udi's cookies from the Cafe Promenade, which are kept frozen, and carry it to dinner.  That way when everyone is enjoying their dessert I could still have a sweet but safe treat.  BTW, they always offer the Snickerdoodle  first and you have to ask for the Chocolate Chip cookies.  But, on Liberty of the Seas in April the cookies had an expiration date of May 2023 and they were rock hard.  I couldn't even break it apart with my hands so there was no way I was eating them and they went into the trash.

I’m currently on Liberty and the one lady at our table is gluten free.  They bring her her own plate of gluten free bread and she has enjoyed a gluten free dessert every night.  They look pretty amazing.  

On 6/5/2023 at 12:10 PM, FSUFAN said:

I make kind of a poor man's charcuterie tray. I go to the Windjammer early and make a plate of sliced meats, cheeses, crackers, sliced veggies with dressing for dip and what-not and take that back to the room for "Happy Hour".  Mrs Fan and I nosh while getting ready for the evening. She drinks wine and I get a whiskey. Sit out on the balcony and chill with the snacks.

I love a nice charcuterie tray.   I'm going to make one on my cruise next week.  Thanks for the idea.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:55 PM, Pattycruise said:

I’m currently on Liberty and the one lady at our table is gluten free.  They bring her her own plate of gluten free bread and she has enjoyed a gluten free dessert every night.  They look pretty amazing.  

The bread GF quality varies widely in quality from ship to ship. Sometimes it's quite good. Other times it's pretty mediocre (which isn't a cruise ship complaint, just it's tough to make a good GF bread)

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The bread GF quality varies widely in quality from ship to ship. Sometimes it's quite good. Other times it's pretty mediocre (which isn't a cruise ship complaint, just it's tough to make a good GF bread)

My DD knows it well - she was dx over 11 years ago, and it was extremely difficult to find good bread. Things have improved greatly since then.  I believe they bake it on the ship, so I can see that quality can definitely vary.  We'll see how Oasis does in August

1 minute ago, MaryCS62 said:

My DD knows it well - she was dx over 11 years ago, and it was extremely difficult to find good bread. Things have improved greatly since then.  I believe they bake it on the ship, so I can see that quality can definitely vary.  We'll see how Oasis does in August

In the past they'd offer 2-3 different types of bread. Since the restart it has only been one that I've seen. Usually a basic white bread.

My favorite hack -

If you enjoy the frosted coffee at Chick-Fil-A, it's fairly simple to recreate on board.

I head up to the Diamond lounge and get 2 shots of espresso. (I assume that those with a beverage/refreshment package would be able to get espresso from the bars with coffee or at the Promenade cafe.)

Ask for an empty beverage cup at the Windjammer and pour in the espresso. Then head to the soft serve machine and fill the cup with vanilla soft serve. Mix together and you'll have a delicious frosted coffee!! 😋

3 hours ago, Freegirl said:

My favorite hack -

If you enjoy the frosted coffee at Chick-Fil-A, it's fairly simple to recreate on board.

I head up to the Diamond lounge and get 2 shots of espresso. (I assume that those with a beverage/refreshment package would be able to get espresso from the bars with coffee or at the Promenade cafe.)

Ask for an empty beverage cup at the Windjammer and pour in the espresso. Then head to the soft serve machine and fill the cup with vanilla soft serve. Mix together and you'll have a delicious frosted coffee!! 😋

Sounds amazing & I’m ready to try one (onboard Wonder as I’m typing). Just wondering how the soft serve attendant will react to asking them to fill a cup since the machines are no longer self-serve post-covid.

18 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sounds amazing & I’m ready to try one (onboard Wonder as I’m typing). Just wondering how the soft serve attendant will react to asking them to fill a cup since the machines are no longer self-serve post-covid.

The soft serve machines on Serenade in the Windjammer were self-serve in January. It might vary by ship.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:47 AM, Do you love it said:

Does anyone have a favorite lesser know free food item while cruising or Food Hacks.  

Pre covid I would make Ranger cookie ice-cream sandwiches. 

OMG ringer cookie icecream sandwhiches! I thought that was our hidden secret lol I was just telling the kids cruising with us in Sept about this trick.