AC question

Just got off the Wonder of the Seas and had a great time. I have been cruising since a teenage and always liked cooler weather and cooler on the ship especially when the stops are in the Caribbean.  I was thinking because of a newer ship maybe it would be kept cooler, but didn't seem like it. I have been on other Oasis classes, but most public area's and even our cabin didn't seem to get as cold like they use to.  Is it me that just feels like this or has anyone noticed over the years?  Bringing my little mini fan helps in the cabin for sure.

23 minutes ago, dustfsu said:

Just got off the Wonder of the Seas and had a great time. I have been cruising since a teenage and always liked cooler weather and cooler on the ship especially when the stops are in the Caribbean.  I was thinking because of a newer ship maybe it would be kept cooler, but didn't seem like it. I have been on other Oasis classes, but most public area's and even our cabin didn't seem to get as cold like they use to.  Is it me that just feels like this or has anyone noticed over the years?  Bringing my little mini fan helps in the cabin for sure.

Did you keep a card in the slot that you have to for your cabin A/C to keep running even when you left?

We've had warmer and cooler rooms over the years. Our interiors usually feel colder than balcony rooms when sailing the Caribbean in the summer (one of several reasons we like them).

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Did you keep a card in the slot that you have to for your cabin A/C to keep running even when you left?

We've had warmer and cooler rooms over the years. Our interiors usually feel colder than balcony rooms when sailing the Caribbean in the summer (one of several reasons we like them).

Sure did.  We even did a little test and turned it up a little when we were out and then when we came back and you could hear it blowing good.  And then you could hear it back off after a few minutes.  We had a inside cabin and those back in the day when I roomed with my brother's use to get ice cold.  Maybe being a bigger ship they just can't.

35 minutes ago, dustfsu said:

Sure did.  We even did a little test and turned it up a little when we were out and then when we came back and you could hear it blowing good.  And then you could hear it back off after a few minutes.  We had a inside cabin and those back in the day when I roomed with my brother's use to get ice cold.  Maybe being a bigger ship they just can't.

Was it working though? Was it uncomfortable? Did you ask to have it looked at? Just concerned for 2 weeks down road.

24 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Was it working though? Was it uncomfortable? Did you ask to have it looked at? Just concerned for 2 weeks down road.

I would definitely ask to have it looked at if you encounter something like that. I have read that some people had a filter replaced and that helped.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about it ahead of time.

19 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

we have in the past asked for our cabin AC to get looked at and it is almost always colder by the time they are done. i never know if this is a placebo effect or not 😂 but it certainly FEELS much cooler!!

Exactly. If you don't ask, you don't get. Never hurts to complain.

13 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

It was working. It got cold, just not as cold as I remember. We had some friends with us on the ship and they had a clock with the temp and said their cabin was 66.  Maybe I just like it cooler. Glad I brought my mini fan.

1 hour ago, dustfsu said:

It was working. It got cold, just not as cold as I remember. We had some friends with us on the ship and they had a clock with the temp and said their cabin was 66.  Maybe I just like it cooler. Glad I brought my mini fan.

66! I may freeze to death this summer!!!! 🤣

Air Conditioning in warmer regions is the number two power hog, second only to propulsion.

There can be times, like when in port, they need to minimize power demand so it minimizes exhaust gases.  Once back in international water they can let the engines run unabated.   

They have teams dedicated to cooling and operating the chiller plant.  It's a seriously big consumer of electrical power.  

Icon is said to be "smart" so when everyone in a cabin has left the ship the system knows that cabin 4567 can cut back on A/C.   Once the first guests swipes their card at the gangway coming back to the ship it will turn the A/C back to full in their cabin.  By the time you reach your cabin it's already well on its way to becoming normal again.  That's how big A/C is, that by scaling back a few degrees in every cabin they can, it saves massive amounts of emissions. 

On 5/8/2023 at 2:51 PM, Blulady said:

I've been on two cruises since the restart and I think they are allowing the public areas to be warmer as a cost cutting measure.  I found Oasis to be uncomfortably warm (interior, public spaces).  I never think the cabins get cool enough so YMMV.

Glad I am not the only one!

On 5/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, Blulady said:

I've been on two cruises since the restart and I think they are allowing the public areas to be warmer as a cost cutting measure.  I found Oasis to be uncomfortably warm (interior, public spaces).  I never think the cabins get cool enough so YMMV.

Yet another cost cutting measure to look forward to. Lol.