Preferred sunscreen

Wheeler825

Sun Bum tends to meet all the sunscreen requirements of the Hawaii Act 104 (Reef Safe) ...  and it smells amazing.

Here's a link to some of their sunscreens - and I love they're in a bunch of different delivery methods.   Kids love the sprays, I'm all about a face stick/balm...  everyone is happy and hopefully avoiding skin cancer 🙂

Granted this not the only company that has reef--compliant sunscreens, I just like having all my options organised in one  place.  lol

https://www.sunbum.com/collections/hawaii-act-104-reef-compliant-sun-care

Usually the reef safe sunscreens are zinc based and will leave a white glow. My favorite for body is ThinkSport. It just seems to rub in a little better than some of the others. I can only use one for sensitive skin on my face or it gets irritated so I use a more expensive one - Juice Beauty. 

There are a lot of companies that advertise being reef safe but actually aren't. There's no regulation. Better to pick a list, like Hawaii act that @DJsMrs mentioned. 

I like to make sure mine is really reef safe because I care about the health of the reefs, both from an environmental perspective and from a selfish one (I like to snorkel and see robust, healthy reefs!). 

25 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

Sun Bum tends to meet all the sunscreen requirements of the Hawaii Act 104 (Reef Safe) ...  and it smells amazing.

Here's a link to some of their sunscreens - and I love they're in a bunch of different delivery methods.   Kids love the sprays, I'm all about a face stick/balm...  everyone is happy and hopefully avoiding skin cancer 🙂

Granted this not the only company that has reef--compliant sunscreens, I just like having all my options organised in one  place.  lol

https://www.sunbum.com/collections/hawaii-act-104-reef-compliant-sun-care

Looks like this covers all the bases. How is it on sensitive faces? 

Ingredients to avoid:

Oxybenzone
Octinoxate
Octocrylene
Homosalate
4-methylbenzylidene camphor
PABA
Parabens
Triclosan
Any nanoparticles or “nano-sized” zinc or titanium (if it doesn’t explicitly say “micro-sized” or “non-nano” and it can rub in, it’s probably nano-sized)
Any form of microplastic, such as “exfoliating beads”

14 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Like I said, I don't do it to meet a requirement, I really care about the reef. Just putting the info out there for others who might also want to look into it. You can look at savethereef.org. I don't know what is meant by "various top publications."

Major magazine and newspapers. Do I really need to spell them out?

3 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Has anyone ever had anyone come up to them and check what they are using?

You can go crazy researching the ingredients vs what various beach websites say.

No, I've never been checked.  I asked once in Roatan and was told to use a reef-safe product if I had it, but they didn't act like it was a requirement.

15 minutes ago, Rackham said:

My go-to is Blue Lizard 50+ Sensitive. Reef safe, and does protect all day without reapplication (if I forget to reapply) as long as I'm not swimming. The downside is it does lighten your skin, being mineral based, if that's something you're trying to avoid.

Same. And I use the Blue Lizard Sheer Face Lotion as well. Great protection for a pale blonde!

7 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Like I said, I don't do it to meet a requirement, I really care about the reef. Just putting the info out there for others who might also want to look into it. You can look at savethereef.org. I don't know what is meant by "various top publications."

Maybe instead of implying that people who do less than you, or who are trying to understand, don't care about the reef, put aside your judgey tone and embrace the effort being put in to questions asked.   People are allowed to ask questions like "it is coming out in top 10 so what's wrong with that."  This is a fair question.  In your response all you did was list ingredients without any reference/comparison to their use in the product being discussed and information in a vacuum is useless to the reader.

Your list of ingredients to avoid, compared with Sunbum 50spf lotion, and why it's not 100% embraced by reefsafe.org (for those who are trying to understand)

Oxybenzone - not in Sunbum
Octinoxate - not in sunbum
Octocrylene - 10%
Homosalate -  10%
4-methylbenzylidene camphor - not in sunbum
PABA - not in Sunbum
Parabens - not in Sunbum
Triclosan - no tin Sunbum

So - it meets the Hawaii standards which may be a bare minimum but this is improvement over what has been used historically - absolutely with room for improvement (but that's a no brainer we can always do better), but not as bad as some others.

SunBum now has a mineral sunscreen spray that doesn't have any of the ingredients to avoid in it ...  so overall change is coming and options are becoming more plentiful.

Climate change is also a huge contributor to bleaching of reefs - science thinks maybe even more than sunscreen, and I'm willing to bet you still drive a car, heat your house, and I know you take cruises 😉   We all do - it's about finding balance and trying to do better without shaming people who are trying.

Now I'll grab a bowl of popcorn and watch this conversation devolve into a debate about why the reefs are dying and how climate change isn't real.  lol🤪😆

I hear that my comments may have sounded judgey and I apologize for that. It wasn't my intent and I specifically didn't call out any particular sunscreen brand. But there are many people who really just want what is best for ME (I very much understand that you are not one of them) and don't care about the impact to others and or the environment. Some proudly, and some on this board. And some don't even believe that what we do as humans can impact the world negatively, as you also alluded to with the climate change argument. Some people really want to buy the minimum standard that is required rather than the total picture, or don't even want to do what is required if they aren't going to get in trouble. What I was hoping to do, and clearly did badly, was setting up the dichotomy between "are they going to check" and "what can I buy that is really safe for the environment". If someone comes to the thread and isn't aware that there is no regulation on labelling something "reef safe," now they can check ingredients. That is all. Again, apologies to you and OP for my unintended tone.

If there is no regulation on labeling something reef safe, then it really is a try your best situation. I spent an entire day researching this months ago and frankly still haven't settled on a product to buy. I have 18 sites bookmarked. I do feel at this point I have done my due diligence. But none seems 100% perfect. My concern with asking will anyone check is with regard to all this effort and still possibly breaking a law with God knows what penalty in a foreign country. Best intentions, yet maybe some saw the worst. 

1 hour ago, BennyandBo said:

If there is no regulation on labeling something reef safe, then it really is a try your best situation. I spent an entire day researching this months ago and frankly still haven't settled on a product to buy. I have 18 sites bookmarked. I do feel at this point I have done my due diligence. But none seems 100% perfect. My concern with asking will anyone check is with regard to all this effort and still possibly breaking a law with God knows what penalty in a foreign country. Best intentions, yet maybe some saw the worst. 

Spent some time looking today, I'm beginning to wonder how sound the science is on 'reef safe' or if its solely a marketing ploy

15 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Agreed - it's a starting point - with reef safe, and as we know better we do better.   At least you're looking at it!   It can be overwhelming for sure - I don't think you need to worry about laws and penalties.   You'll know when you get there if it's a hard core law and you don't meet the requirements because I can promise you someone will be there to sell you a 25 dollar container of sunscreen that they say meets the rules.   Just do your best 🙂

Not sure someone saw the worst...  probably just a rushed post that came off wrong - hence the trouble with these forums sometimes.

Wow - it's a big convo about sunscreen hey?   But I was really happy to see the mineral spray offered by sun bum (and other companies too probably) and I'll be looking into that next time we need to buy more.   I typically buy in bulk when it's on sale so we're set for at least one more vacation.  lol

Have a great cruise!

With my torso being whiter than sour cream, I usually go the rashguard route for my upper body, and Banana Boat Sport Mineral for my face, legs, and feet if I plan on being out long.  Pro-tip -- bring some Aloe Vera and keep it in your cooler on board just in case you miss a spot with your sunscreen, you will thank me later.