Lunch on embarking day other than Windjammer

Chris 1972

For my Adventure sailing there are also two additional choices. For a fee, it looks like Chops is taking reservations and the app reflects Johnny Rockets is also open. But again, these two are extra $$. We are probably going for Chops when our cruise planner opens. It's away from the noise and crowds and we love starting our sailing this way. It's also less expensive then dinner with nice choices. 

Screenshot_20230109_180927_Royal.jpg

Screenshot_20230109_180847_Royal.jpg

I did an embarkation day lunch at Chops aboard Adventure last summer. It was worth the money to start the cruise off with premium dining and not dealing with the crowds elsewhere. Plus, by the time I was leaving Chops, the cabins were open for passengers. So swung by, grabbed my Seapass, dropped off my carry-on, and got to getting my vacation fully started.

Sometimes a specialty lunch on embarkment day is just what the doctor ordered. When I have the UDP I go to whatever is open and make my reservations plus enjoy the peace. When I don't have the UDP, or El Loco Fresh is not an option, I often treat myself.  I am doing Chops lunch on my Grandeur sailing this month. It was like $19 with the black Friday sale, and I don't have to worry about crowds and all that jazz.

16 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Adventure, as I remember from last summer, does not have Sorrentos.  We had to get pizza at the Promenade Cafe.  So Promenade Cafe and WJ would be places for lunch on embarkation day for free.

You are correct. I always refer to the Cafe Promenade pizza as Sorrentos even on ships without a dedicated area. You have to stand in the same Cafe Promenade line for pizza on the Voyager class ships.

Ok so after reading this thread about the crowds at the buffer, I decided we would just make our check in time an hour later and find a good little casual lunch. Am I crazy? The trip to texas and the food there is part of the adventure for us. Is there a reason that checking in later is bad? I have not been on a cruise for almost 20 years.

I don't know why you would check in later? You pay for the first day and you don't get a full day as is so.

Its going to be busy anywhere and evrerywhere...my experience is the longer wait the busier it will be by the time you get on. The bars, pools etc will all be packed so it will be even longer waits.

I am not sure how long the Muster drills are now, but keep in mind that everything is closed during that time as well.

18 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I am not sure how long the Muster drills are now, but keep in mind that everything is closed during that time as well.

Muster is digital now.  No more shutdown.  You watch the video on the app, go to your station, they demonstrate the life jacket and then scan your set sail pass.  It's like a 30 second thing now done at your convenience.

19 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

With the new eMuster, this is a thing of the past. They don't even close the bars anymore. You just visit your muster station and check-in. Then you listen to incessant announcements for the rest of the afternoon about how hundreds of people have failed to complete their muster check-in.

Our plan is to get on and just bite the bullet for a pay lunch- our ship has a Playmakers sports bar which has a very very affordable (ie: cheap) menu with a few basic bar food items on it...and it sounds perfect for us! Check our kid into AO, do the muster then grab a table at the sports bar and watch the NFL playoff games that will be on when we board next week! 

10 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I don't know why you would check in later? You pay for the first day and you don't get a full day as is so.

Its going to be busy anywhere and evrerywhere...my experience is the longer wait the busier it will be by the time you get on. The bars, pools etc will all be packed so it will be even longer waits.

Fair question. We are not really morning people, we work second shift, and it just seemed like getting lunch on the first day sounded like a hassle, so we said we will just have a casual lunch in texas and have some time to get any last minute stuff. Also I was thinking our room might be ready by that point. I guess I also thought if lots of people show up for the earlier time the later time just might be laid back.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:00 PM, Suzanne Elise said:

Fair question. We are not really morning people, we work second shift, and it just seemed like getting lunch on the first day sounded like a hassle, so we said we will just have a casual lunch in texas and have some time to get any last minute stuff. Also I was thinking our room might be ready by that point. I guess I also thought if lots of people show up for the earlier time the later time just might be laid back.

and good answer - if you don't need to worry about eating lunch onboard, and you're not early risers anyway, take a later embarkation time & you can likely go straight to your cabin to drop things off and get right to exploring, having a drink, etc. Wear a bathing suit under your clothes if you're pool people and if it will be warm enough to hang out there. Whatever is good for you.

We always wanted early time, but my daughter's medical issues made it difficult - but, she also needed to eat lunch, so we had to get there early enough to eat as well.  This March, DH & I are sailing by ourselves, & plan on getting on with a 1030 embarkation time - pick somewhere to have lunch & sit until I can get my scooter, and he can take full advantage of his DBP

On 1/20/2023 at 7:00 PM, Suzanne Elise said:

Last year when we flew in the day of the cruise (I know! but it worked out, it was necessary and we won't do it again if we don't have to...), we did a later check in and it worked out just fine, even with lunch. I think we boarded between 12:30-1pm or maybe even 1-1:30pm, went straight to WJ where it wasn't terrible to find a table because most of the early boarders were done or just finishing up - it was also just when rooms were ready, so when we finished eating, we were able to go straight to our rooms and get settled. We aren't glued to the pool on cruises, so we didn't miss the extra pool time or anything from the earlier part of the morning. 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, Ampurp85 said:

Sometimes a specialty lunch on embarkment day is just what the doctor ordered. When I have the UDP I go to whatever is open and make my reservations plus enjoy the peace. When I don't have the UDP, or El Loco Fresh is not an option, I often treat myself.  I am doing Chops lunch on my Grandeur sailing this month. It was like $19 with the black Friday sale, and I don't have to worry about crowds and all that jazz.

I did the same thing in December on Anthem. Did Jamie's Italian for embarkation lunch, was $17 on the sale.  Had a great lunch, the menu is pretty similar to the dinner menu. Was quiet and mostly empty and avoided the Windjammer crunch.