Crown and Anchor newbie

FManke

Eventhough this will be our first cruise, I figured what the heck and went all in, by signing up for the Crown and Anchor Society. Are there any benefits to receive on our first cruise or do they start on following cruises? I've also read that sometimes, first time cruisers are invited to the Captain's Table for dinner. Long shot of course, but has that ever happened to anybody you know? Just curious.

I can confirm from my own first-time booking that Crown & Anchor benefits don't start applying until your second cruise, since the "points" aren't applied until after the first cruise ends. My TA confirmed that for me when I asked.

That said, it's still good that you signed up right away, especially if you plan on doing more cruises with Royal. If nothing else, you get to go on one of the priority embarkation lines on all your future cruises instead of the one for "steerage". ;)

I can confirm from my own first-time booking that Crown & Anchor benefits don't start applying until your second cruise, since the "points" aren't applied until after the first cruise ends. My TA confirmed that for me when I asked.

That said, it's still good that you signed up right away, especially if you plan on doing more cruises with Royal. If nothing else, you get to go on one of the priority embarkation lines on all your future cruises instead of the one for "steerage". ;)

Sounds like priority embarkation lines are a benefit on its own, especially since joining doesn't cost anything. I guess part of signing up is just wanting to be "part of the club."

You're right, after our first cruise the priority embarkation was the greatest benefit.  I remember the first time we used it (second cruise) I couldn't believe we walked past all the people in the long line and were on the ship in about 10 minutes.  Even as Gold, the line is short.  Other than that the buy one get half off stuff is good too.

As for being seated at the Captain's Table, I would definitely not expect that to happen on your first cruise.

The one and only time I have ever been invited to the Captains Table was actually on my second cruise (with RCI, at least) and in retrospect I'm now quite certain that it was b/c we had been seated at a table with some very senior and high value cruisers and were invited b/c they were invited.  I had no idea, until WAAAY into my cruising "career" that we had apparently been "highlighted" by our TA as high value customers.  I thought everyone was treated the way we had been treated on that cruise....ah....no.  Our TA (at the time) had made sure that we were labeled as high value and we never EVER got that kind of treatment again - even after making D+ all these years later.

To be honest, I hardly ever see ANYone at the "Captains" table these days.  It's almost always empty but we eat very early.

I had no idea, until WAAAY into my cruising "career" that we had apparently been "highlighted" by our TA as high value customers. I thought everyone was treated the way we had been treated on that cruise....ah....no. Our TA (at the time) had made sure that we were labeled as high value and we never EVER got that kind of treatment again - even after making D+ all these years later.

What is "high value" in this context? Does that mean you have a reputation as someone who never settles for anything less than a grand suite, alway buys high end excursions, or is otherwise a "big spender"? Or is there some other factor involved?

What is "high value" in this context? Does that mean you have a reputation as someone who never settles for anything less than a grand suite, alway buys high end excursions, or is otherwise a "big spender"? Or is there some other factor involved?

I really don't know !!  This was only my second cruise with RCI and I was only in a JR Suite.  ...but I think that the TA was throwing me a perk and I didn't even realize it.  On that cruise we got really nice gifts - things we never have gotten again to this day !  We were placed at a table with some very senior (and I don't mean old) cruisers.  I'm no TA but there must be a way that a TA can identify you as a "high value" (to the Agency, I mean) b/c we were treated differently on that cruise than on any cruise since.  Of course, we were too new at cruising to even realize it !  We thought everyone got this kind of treatment.

What's really sad is, after this cruise I realized that I could make all of my own travel arrangements pretty easily and I never used that TA again.  It took me years to realize that they must have done something to indicate that we were "special" (of course, we WEREN'T special) b/c we never got that kind of treatment again !!!

The attached are the benefits they dont tell you about until you are onboard.

attachicon.gifGold Member Benefits.pdf

With the BOGO beers/wines, how would it work if I have the deluxe drinks package.  My wife doesn't drink much and opted not to buy the package.  After she uses her BOGO offer, how can I take advantage of my BOGO offer for her if I already have the drinks package?

With the BOGO beers/wines, how would it work if I have the deluxe drinks package.  My wife doesn't drink much and opted not to buy the package.  After she uses her BOGO offer, how can I take advantage of my BOGO offer for her if I already have the drinks package?

Your wife can use her BOGO offers, but if you get the drinks package, it supersedes any C&A offers.  She cannot use yours.  I guess you just loose them.

Is there any benefit to signing up before a 1st cruise? We're doing a 3-night test cruise just to see if we even like it. Just wondering if I should wait and sign up later if there are not even any benefits for a 1st-time cruiser...

Not necessarily.  However, there is a benefit of having your number so that you can apply it to your reservation and get credit for it.  You can do this after the fact, too, but having it done in advance is of some convenience.  Plus, if you book another onboard, you'll already have the number to get your benefits on the next cruise.

Is there any benefit to signing up before a 1st cruise? We're doing a 3-night test cruise just to see if we even like it. Just wondering if I should wait and sign up later if there are not even any benefits for a 1st-time cruiser...

I believe one benefit of signing up before your first cruise is you are privy to any C&A promotions available. I know, very compelling.

Brand new to this board but I signed up for C&AS before our first cruise in October 2016. We were in a Junior Suite on Majesty. We had both suite access and C&AS access to speed up the process of boarding. We were on the ship within 30-45 minutes of arriving at Port Canaveral. That was really the only benefit that I noticed on the first cruise. Will know more when we take our next cruise March of 2018. Looking forward to becoming a Platinum member after our Transatlantic on Symphony October 2018.

Brand new to this board but I signed up for C&AS before our first cruise in October 2016. We were in a Junior Suite on Majesty. We had both suite access and C&AS access to speed up the process of boarding. We were on the ship within 30-45 minutes of arriving at Port Canaveral. That was really the only benefit that I noticed on the first cruise. Will know more when we take our next cruise March of 2018. Looking forward to becoming a Platinum member after our Transatlantic on Symphony October 2018.

I'm assuming you received those perks mainly because of your suite, and not just your C&AS status.

I would say more than likely but there were other people that were C&AS that were checking in at the same time.

I think reading about the C&AS perks, the "express boarding" so to speak, starts after your first cruise if I read correctly.

I think reading about the C&AS perks, the "express boarding" so to speak, starts after your first cruise if I read correctly.

Yes I believe so. Our express boarding was due to the suite. Our next cruise will also be in a suite as well. I will find out about the C&AS boarding on our third cruise which will be in a Balcony. Perks don't start until you actually take a cruise since you don't have any points. If you sign up for C&AS for you first cruise then you will automatically be Gold on your next cruise since the required number of points is 3, unless you take a two days cruise. You also get double points for a suite. We did a 4 night and got 8 points. 14 points for our next cruise then 12 for the transatlantic.