Booster required for staff

I spoke with a staff member on Oasis, apparently booster shots are now required to renew contracts.  The member is not happy since wanting to start a family and the unknowns with long term effects. 
when staffing numbers has been difficult to get back to normal, as well as other factors, it’s a-shame this is a mandate.

8 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I spoke with a staff member on Oasis, apparently booster shots are now required to renew contracts.  The member is not happy since wanting to start a family and the unknowns with long term effects. 
when staffing numbers has been difficult to get back to normal, as well as other factors, it’s a-shame this is a mandate.

I suspect this has to do with the increasing number of countries requiring “up to date” — can’t have a crew member that needs extra testing and restrictions every time the ship comes into port. 

I think it’s inappropriate to ask a crew member for this type of information.  Maybe an officer at the captains talk, but even that may be crossing the line.  I know that everyone is wanting all the information, but this is an odd thing to discuss. We enjoy learning some details about the crew when we interact, but we certainly don’t want a lot of deep details about their personal lives.  We ask for their suggestions and things they may enjoy or dislike, but we do not venture into their personal lives.

7 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I think it’s inappropriate to ask a crew member for this type of information.  Maybe an officer at the captains talk, but even that may be crossing the line.  I know that everyone is wanting all the information, but this is an odd thing to discuss. We enjoy learning some details about the crew when we interact, but we certainly don’t want a lot of deep details about their personal lives.  We ask for their suggestions and things they may enjoy or dislike, but we do not venture into their personal lives.

It's not clear that a crew member was asked specifically about their medical history or intentions going forward.  It could simply be where the conversation went and what the crew member chose to share.

Often when I talk with crew the conversation is interactive and a crew member chooses to share information and opinions, or not.  The conversation can go places and venture into topics that all parties happily participate in.  It is not an interrogation or approaching a crew member for the purpose of inquiring about their medical status.  It could be as simple about talking about a contract coming to an end then the crew member offers a reason why they might not rejoin for another contract and their personal opinions.  There is no harm in that.  

On 6/27/2022 at 1:43 PM, Pattycruise said:

Sound perfectly appropriate for RCCL to require this.

Keeping the customers as well as the crew safe is of tantamount importance to the company

On 6/27/2022 at 11:25 PM, Reigert2008 said:

Don’t fear.  This was not an interrogation of a crew member.  I had met this crew member on previous  cruises and the person chose to share their concerns over this new requirement about renewing their contract  it came about because  I had inquired if they would be on this ship when I come back in 2 months.  It was a natural flow of conversation.   Good for you keeping things lite and not daring to venture into their personal lives if that’s how you choose to be.  I find there is a lot more to “the help” than their suggestions or likes/dislikes, they are actually people who enjoy engaging in conversation..