Jump to content

Advice for ABC Excursions


Snotarni
 Share

Recommended Posts

I know there's a lot of info on the boards for A, B and/or C excursions, but looking for some more recent experiences...  Any great MUST DO items that we shouldn't miss, or excursions you took that weren't worth it?  We're going in October on Explorer.

Thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can highly recommend the "Sunset Harbor Cruise" offered by the ship's tour office and conducted locally by Red Sail Catamarans.  Tons of fun!  My regular recurring cruise group of actors & fans from the Doctor Who TV show has done it three times over the years and is the best & most fun party booze boat we've ever done, and one of the few I've seen that runs a full open bar, not just a vat of rum punch to casually refill your glasses from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2022 at 8:40 AM, Snotarni said:

I know there's a lot of info on the boards for A, B and/or C excursions, but looking for some more recent experiences...  Any great MUST DO items that we shouldn't miss, or excursions you took that weren't worth it?  We're going in October on Explorer.

Thanks!!

We just returned from the ABCs.  All three excursions were drive-around-the island, the Bonaire excursion being a last-minute substitute for a snorkeling excursion the operator cancelled.  I felt a little down because we missed the beaches, so pick at least one excursion that is fun.  Bonaire's shopping was very limited, but Aruba and Curacao are walkable into town.  We enjoyed Curacao the most, even got caught on the floating bridge when it opened.  Had a nice lunch at a local restaurant.  So I would say you should try the beach at Aruba, and divers like Bonaire.  Bonaire was a short port call (on board at 1:30 PM) but Aruba and Curacao were long days.  Thus, you can visit the town center in the AM and hit the beaches in the PM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

We just returned from the ABCs.  All three excursions were drive-around-the island, the Bonaire excursion being a last-minute substitute for a snorkeling excursion the operator cancelled.  I felt a little down because we missed the beaches, so pick at least one excursion that is fun.  Bonaire's shopping was very limited, but Aruba and Curacao are walkable into town.  We enjoyed Curacao the most, even got caught on the floating bridge when it opened.  Had a nice lunch at a local restaurant.  So I would say you should try the beach at Aruba, and divers like Bonaire.  Bonaire was a short port call (on board at 1:30 PM) but Aruba and Curacao were long days.  Thus, you can visit the town center in the AM and hit the beaches in the PM.

Thanks!  I think we're looking at it this way so far...   Aruba - Beach/Pool Resort;  Bonaire - Snorkeling; Curacao - Touring, Eating, Shopping.  But, we have a few months to alter our plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what you want to do in Curacao, I highly recommend reaching out to Edo at VIP Curacao.  http://www.viptourscuracao.com/  He will customize a tour for you that can include all three, and your guide will drive you everywhere.  We have done this twice now, and had two completely different tour days, both amazing. 

We happened to have Bernice training as a guide on our first tour, and she was so good we requested her again when we went back.  She took us to local lunch spots with great food both times.  We didn't want to shop, but it was an option and she did show us around the shopping area in case we wanted to go back.  In addition to all the usual tour stops - the plantation, a snorkel one trip at the turtle spot and the other at the tug boat, scenic overlooks, the bat cave, etc - she also was willing to hike to the top of Mt. Cristobal with us and on our second visit she walked us through a neighborhood that has engaged in a mural painting revitalization project, where we saw some beautiful paintings and learned a lot about local culture.  Basically, anything that you are interested in, this tour will cater to.  

All of their guides are very good and Edo's communication is superb.  Just tell him what you are thinking and he will make it happen.  Or, if you have no idea, ask him to curate a best day for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2022 at 6:52 AM, Snotarni said:

Thanks!  I think we're looking at it this way so far...   Aruba - Beach/Pool Resort;  Bonaire - Snorkeling; Curacao - Touring, Eating, Shopping.  But, we have a few months to alter our plans.

I've researched Aruba and found the streetcar trolley which is free and will go to downtown. Also, they have public buses that run regularly and you can buy a one day pass for $10 that allows you to get on and off as much as you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...