Proper Attire for Dining?

PMPMarty

Adding to what Pooch said, dining/dinner rules listed on the website refer to the main dining room. Specialty dining locations (such Chops Grille, Jaime's Italian/Giovanni's, Izumi etc) have their own dress codes usually nothing higher than Smart Casual.

Otherwise, all other locations (ie Buffet, Cafe promenade, sorrentos) are casual and shorts are accepted any time.

Casual and shorts accepted in the main dining room too.  They are not going to turn you away.  Might you get a hairy eyeball from more “refined “ cruisers sure. But put your napkin in your lap, chew with your mouth closed & don’t talk with a mouthful.  Who cares what others think.

On 3/3/2022 at 4:08 PM, Pooch said:

Casual and shorts accepted in the main dining room too.  They are not going to turn you away.  Might you get a hairy eyeball from more “refined “ cruisers sure. But put your napkin in your lap, chew with your mouth closed & don’t talk with a mouthful.  Who cares what others think.

Totally agree with Pooch!  You are on vacation.  Don't feel like you have to impress anyone.  On formal night I will usually wear jeans and a button up shirt,  other nights it's what i happen to be wearing at the time.

Although the main dining room is not a buffet you can still order multiple appetizers,  multiple main courses,  and multiple desserts.   This is a good time to experiment with different dishes.  There are menus for every meal on the app or there is a big screen in front of the dining room to see what is coming up the next day.  Your on vacation.  Have a good time.

On 3/3/2022 at 11:48 AM, PMPMarty said:

This will be our first cruise; I was wondering what everyone normally wears to dinner.  I read that they do not allow shorts?

In the Main Dining Room (MDR) and specialty restaurants many people wear clothes appropriate to the occasion, such as nicer clothes on formal/dress-your-best night, tropical attire on tropical night, etc.  The main rule is to be sensitive to others and read the Cruise Compass for guidance.  You can get away with a lot, but try to be respectful (and tolerant) of others, there being many cultures on the ship.  I never wear shorts for dinner in the MDR because I don't wear shorts on land when I go out to a nice restaurant. I guess that makes me old-fashioned....

I agree with @ChessE4 I always put on long pants for the MDR, just my personal preference. I probably still have my Hawaiian shirt on though. Formal and dress your best I'm put on a button shirt with a tie, my only tie. I do enjoy seeing some of the folks in their formal attire though. As they say, you do you boo.