Drinking Age Onboard

Ana Sweet

• AshleyDillo changed the title to Drinking Age Onboard
7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The cruises out of the Bahamas over the summer had an 18 yr old drinking age.

Because they didn’t leave out of the United States ….. the drinking age on a cruise ship goes by the legal drinking age of the country the ship is originally boarded in and leaves from …… the Bahamas has a legal drinking age of 18

10 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Because they didn’t leave out of the United States ….. the drinking age on a cruise ship goes by the legal drinking age of the country the ship is originally boarded in and leaves from …… the Bahamas has a legal drinking age of 18

Correct. I was just pointing out an example of how it worked in another country.

1 hour ago, Ana Sweet said:

Sailing on Harmony 4/10. My son is 20 yrs old. Will he be able to drink alcoholic onboard?

I'm also on that sailing!

But no, he will not be able to drink on the ship. They recognize the legal drinking age from the place where the ship embarks, which is in Florida.  He also won't be able to drink at CocoCay despite it being in the Bahamas. It's considered an extension of the ship.

He can drink at the ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

27 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I'm also on that sailing!

But no, he will not be able to drink on the ship. They recognize the legal drinking age from the place where the ship embarks, which is in Florida.  He also won't be able to drink at CocoCay despite it being in the Bahamas. It's considered an extension of the ship.

He can drink at the ports of St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

The exception to the rule is Puerto Rico embarkations; PR drinking age is 18, drinking age on ship is 21.

We found at dinner, when our daughter was 19 and 20, the servers took their cues from us. The first night when they asked for her drink order, I’d say to charge it on my sea pass card, and that’s what they would do going forward. We never specifically said she was underage or asked if that was ok. She definitely looked older. Ymmv 

Also, I can’t remember if Royal does buckets of beer at the pool. When we are on princess ships and order the buckets, she never was stopped from sharing when she was underage. 

18 hours ago, fa-li said:

We found at dinner, when our daughter was 19 and 20, the servers took their cues from us. The first night when they asked for her drink order, I’d say to charge it on my sea pass card, and that’s what they would do going forward. We never specifically said she was underage or asked if that was ok. She definitely looked older. Ymmv 

Also, I can’t remember if Royal does buckets of beer at the pool. When we are on princess ships and order the buckets, she never was stopped from sharing when she was underage. 

Can you get away with it is a different question than what is the rule.  One waiter/bartender might look the other way, another might report you and have you thrown off the ship.

3 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Can you get away with it is a different question than what is the rule.  One waiter/bartender might look the other way, another might report you and have you thrown off the ship.

I was just reporting my experience   I would think they would lean toward a simple “no” before throwing someone off the ship

I would be cautious given the language from Royal's "Alcohol Policy" as listed in the "Things to Know" section of the eDocs Guest Ticket Booklet pasted below. 

1.png.fa9cba0847979581229a8ed89bcf2e07.png2.png.a40e744c8824f1420eb3db1fd2e3ecad.png

The minimum drinking age is also addressed in the Cruise Contract (Section 13(c).  So, IMHO, those who violate the policy would be risking the possibility of being put off the ship and finding transportation home at their own expense.  Don't know if Royal would actually enforce, but they went to the trouble to cover themselves if the did.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, fa-li said:

2018 majesty cruise, lots of parents handing buckets of beers to their clearly underage semi-drunk kids.  Parents didn’t care, they were drunk too.  Don’t be those parents!  But a RESPONSIBLE drink for a RESPONSIBLE 20 year old I understand.  Not saying you can or can’t get away with it but…

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tigergal31 said:

Does anyone know about ability to drink at 18 if leaving from Spain? I have a friend who wants to take her sister on Wonder of the Seas from Barcelona in June for a graduation present.....

The drinking age whatever is legal base on the port of departure. So if the legal age is 18 in Spain, those aged 18 or over will be allowed to purchase alcohol and drink packages.