Well, I was wrong …

Zurc

There was a thread several months about vaccinated venues vs unvaccinated.    At the time I was critical of Royal,  thinking unvaccinated would not have the same cruise experience (thinking of the families with kids).  

Well, after reading a Liberty Cruise Compass (on this site from a recent sailing), I feel my initial reaction was totally WRONG.   My apologies for my negative comments,   Liberty will be my next cruise, and I was pleasantly surprised to see in the activities and entertainment, how Royal has provided activities  for ALL passengers*.   Kudos to Royal for doing the best they could (within CDC control).   I am really looking forward to my upcoming cruises.

*(Can’t speak to AO, just the entertainment outside of AO, listed on Liberty Compass) 

@Matt, thanks to you for keeping the cruise conversations fresh with all the blog posts.  We can count on you breaking RCG news here, before other sites.  You are so appreciated.  

Royal truly is a family brand and they have really tried to create a solution that allows families to have a enjoyable cruise experience while working within the constraints of the CDC guidelines. 

Other cruise lines have either blocked families entirely or created a lottery type approach where families don't know if they will be able to cruise until days before the ship departs yet they have to pay in full months before.  In the end many families get denied and only find out the week of the cruise.  What a terrible way to treat families.

Royal could have taken the easy road and avoided test cruises like the other lines did.  Instead they took the harder path, performed test cruises and created a solution so that families could be welcomed onboard.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal truly is a family brand and they have really tried to create a solution that allows families to have a enjoyable cruise experience while working within the constraints of the CDC guidelines. 

Other cruise lines have either blocked families entirely or created a lottery type approach where families don't know if they will be able to cruise until days before the ship departs yet they have to pay in full months before.  In the end many families get denied and only find out the week of the cruise.  What a terrible way to treat families.

Royal could have taken the easy road and avoided test cruises like the other lines did.  Instead they took the harder path, performed test cruises and created a solution so that families could be welcomed onboard.  

Agree!.  It took me awhile to realize this…

Don't feel too bad about misjudging Royal's approach.  Back when all of this was starting up, it wasn't at all clear what would be the best approach. 

After sailing 6 times this year, I'd have to say that Royal's approach works well, but I haven't been on any other cruise lines, so I really can't compare. 

That said, there are still venues that aren't open to families, such as the main floor of the theatre and my time dining.  This always makes we feel bad for the families, but they can still enjoy the shows and eat in the main dining room.

2 hours ago, Zurc said:

There was a thread several months about vaccinated venues vs unvaccinated.    At the time I was critical of Royal,  thinking unvaccinated would not have the same cruise experience (thinking of the families with kids).  

Well, after reading a Liberty Cruise Compass (on this site from a recent sailing), I feel my initial reaction was totally WRONG.   My apologies for my negative comments,   Liberty will be my next cruise, and I was pleasantly surprised to see in the activities and entertainment, how Royal has provided activities  for ALL passengers*.   Kudos to Royal for doing the best they could (within CDC control).   I am really looking forward to my upcoming cruises.

*(Can’t speak to AO, just the entertainment outside of AO, listed on Liberty Compass) 

@Matt, thanks to you for keeping the cruise conversations fresh with all the blog posts.  We can count on you breaking RCG news here, before other sites.  You are so appreciated.  

We were on Liberty for Thanksgiving week, had a GREAT time, as will you I am sure.