First time RCL cruisers, what to expect?

infosec123

Hi everyone,

We (myself+wife+8yoDD+5yoDS) are Disney "expats" and are fed up with DCL prices and the experience. We booked a b2b on the Freedom of the Seas in January 2022 and were wondering what to expect around the experience. We booked a grand suite room which gives us all those perks, but were wondering what the kids club areas will be like. I know that the covid protocols are fluid and may change, but I am expecting them to be largely similar in January as they are today. Searched for some FAQs on the web but really couldnt find anything. Also, anything we should know about? I know this is a loaded question, looking forward to everyones feedback.

28 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The last time I priced out a Disney cruise, I saw that I could get a grand suite on RC for the same price as an interior room on Disney.

Kids club is great (covid-era restrictions not withstanding) and RC has won many awards for its kids programs.

Do you know what the restrictions are? I cannot find a lot of information on them.

5 minutes ago, infosec123 said:

Do you know what the restrictions are? I cannot find a lot of information on them.

I believe, from what Matt has said in his blogs, that you are required to make appointments for kids club each time.  There is also lowered occupancy in the kids clubs and mandatory mask wearing.

9 minutes ago, emmef said:

I believe, from what Matt has said in his blogs, that you are required to make appointments for kids club each time.  There is also lowered occupancy in the kids clubs and mandatory mask wearing.

Yeah that doesnt bother more (or the kids who had to wear masks on DCL), I am just trying to better understand the availability. From the blogs, it says:

Adventure Ocean is open, but with limited capacity.

The biggest changes are you register via an iPad instead of paper, and there are limited hours available initially.

Very similar to how Royal Caribbean's nursery works, the staff provide an allotment of hours to register for on the first day to ensure everyone has a fair chance at booking time.

On the first sailing, they gave everyone 15 hours to book, but that dropped to 12 hours for this sailing.

You can book up to the 12 hour limit initially, and then by day 3 or so, they open bookings without a limit.

Am I interpreting this correctly that if the restrictions dont change, we can book our kids in Adventure Ocean for 12 hours each day of the cruise? We wouldnt use anywhere near that, but it is a far stretch from the 1.5 hours we were given on DCL.

31 minutes ago, infosec123 said:

Am I interpreting this correctly that if the restrictions dont change, we can book our kids in Adventure Ocean for 12 hours each day of the cruise? We wouldnt use anywhere near that, but it is a far stretch from the 1.5 hours we were given on DCL.

12 hours TOTAL for the cruise at first.  I don't even think the kids clubs are open 12 hours every day!

1 hour ago, infosec123 said:

Restrictions should be the same across all cruise lines since they're CDC-mandated

Just limits on number of kids, social distancing restrictions, activity restrictions to prevent cross contamination of toys, etc (even though that's not how covid spreads).

@infosec123 we are platinum on Disney and feared nothing would compare, wow were we wrong. I was hot to book the new Disney Wish but after sailing Royal we are hard pressed to return to DCL. Value for money as well as an amazing product, we are loyal to royal until we sail all the Quantum and Oasis ships at least; was really happy with the switch. You will really love it!