Repricing Discussion, TA or no TA, Alert Sites

pmh

Has anyone had any experience with Priceline? I've used them for my next 2 bookings. Seems as if we have to call them if we're alerted of a price drop. From what I've read on this blog thread, the agent should be contacting the client. 

Wish me luck guys. I just contacted our (non-MEI 🥲) TA about my first ever price drop. Hoping she'll be able to do it without taking away our Next Cruise OBC!

Speaking of...I know MEI won't take reservations over directly from other TAs but is it possible to take a booking back to myself THEN switch to MEI? (we forgot to mention to our Next Cruise Agent that we may have been in the market to switch)

18 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Wish me luck guys. I just contacted our (non-MEI 🥲) TA about my first ever price drop. Hoping she'll be able to do it without taking away our Next Cruise OBC!

Speaking of...I know MEI won't take reservations over directly from other TAs but is it possible to take a booking back to myself THEN switch to MEI? (we forgot to mention to our Next Cruise Agent that we may have been in the market to switch)

Never say never but it requires a bit of work and cooperation from the original agency to let go of the booking.  If they aren't responsive they probably won't be responsive in releasing the booking.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Never say never but it requires a bit of work and cooperation from the original agency to let go of the booking.  If they aren't responsive they probably won't be responsive in releasing the booking.

That's fair. And to be honest and fair, our TA isn't bad. She's responsive and helpful but in a more passive way and I've liked the active approach I've heard from MEI. She also can't do flights, hotels or any shore excursions with Royal (not sure if MEI can do the latter) so I was just open to shopping around. But I can wait - at least we get nice perks with it too!

On 9/23/2021 at 10:37 AM, FManke said:

MEI for one! Just saying.

Happy Cruising!

I must say that we booked through MEI based on the rave reviews on this blog and have been sadly disappointed. We got a bunch of relatives who had self-booked to switch to the same agent, and referred other relatives to book with her. We have had to keep our own watch on prices for cruise fare and beverage packages. I found a drop on the cruise fare myself and contacted the agent. She rebooked us and we saved $800, which was great, but then I had to ask her to rebook everyone else in our party. If I hadn't been looking at fares myself, we would have missed the drop in price. Did I mention we have 15 passengers booked through her?

I do not feel that it is the job of the TA to identify price drops.  Most of them have waaaytooo many bookings to do that on a regular basis.  Most of the Agents will do a price review when a new "sale" comes along but on a day-to-day basis ?  No way.

Has @michellecome up with price reductions for bookings for me ?  Yes...but I don't expect her to be doing price recons on any kind of regular basis the way I do. More often than not, I will identify what I BELIEVE is a price reduction and then it turns out that it's not b/c different discounts or price incentives are in place from the original booking.

That's just me. Everyone has differing expectations.

My MEI agent has probably caught a price drop once or twice. Usually I email him after scouring the site,😝. I honestly don't expect them to always be on price drops. They aren't charging me. I also don't think I am their only client, so if it takes a full day or so to answer me, I don't feel slighted in the least. What I was grateful for was not having to worry when the poop hit the fan during the height of the pandemic. But everyone likes their service to be performed a certain way so.....

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I would imagine an agent calling a client about a price drop is more the exception than the norm

Most of the time I am able to let clients know about a price drop first- most people don't check prices all of the time themselves, they let me do that. I find it the exception for clients to email me first.

And my experience has been more like WAAAYTOOO’s.  My MEI agent is VERY responsive but I usually find the price drop & then email her to handle it.  I’m old (happy birthday to me) and retired & only have a couple of cruises to keep an eye on so it’s easy to look frequently.  I appreciate her quick responses.

16 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Most of the time I am able to let clients know about a price drop first- most people don't check prices all of the time themselves, they let me do that. I find it the exception for clients to email me first.

MEI is the exception to the general travel agent rule, too. I've never heard of TAs proactively looking for price drops before being introduced to MEI.

After seeing all this talk about price drops, I took the chance and called my Costco TA yesterday at 5:00 pm.  While I waited online she was able to get a RCI rep online within minutes and would come back to me every few minutes to report her progress.  They were able to find a 16% discount on my FOTS cruise in November.  I had already made my final payment back when the due date was 60 days out, but since they changed it to 30 days I am getting a refund instead of an OBC.  I didn't check prices first, just picked up the phone and asked them to do the leg work for me on my commute home which this TA was very happy to do...thank you Azurea.  Since these $$ were already paid off on my CC, now I have the problem 🙂 figuring out what would be the best way to spend this savings on my cruise!

It seems as if no one has had any dealing with Priceline and several of you like MEI. On future cruises that I book, I may give MEI an opportunity to service my cruise bookings. However, reading some of your comments. it may be better to go back to booking directly thru RCC. It seems as if it's better to deal with RCC directly than having a TA do it for you.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:55 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I do not feel that it is the job of the TA to identify price drops.  Most of them have waaaytooo many bookings to do that on a regular basis.  Most of the Agents will do a price review when a new "sale" comes along but on a day-to-day basis ?  No way.

Has @michellecome up with price reductions for bookings for me ?  Yes...but I don't expect her to be doing price recons on any kind of regular basis the way I do. More often than not, I will identify what I BELIEVE is a price reduction and then it turns out that it's not b/c different discounts or price incentives are in place from the original booking.

That's just me. Everyone has differing expectations.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:45 PM, Ampurp85 said:

My MEI agent has probably caught a price drop once or twice. Usually I email him after scouring the site,😝. I honestly don't expect them to always be on price drops. They aren't charging me. I also don't think I am their only client, so if it takes a full day or so to answer me, I don't feel slighted in the least. What I was grateful for was not having to worry when the poop hit the fan during the height of the pandemic. But everyone likes their service to be performed a certain way so.....

You're both probably right. I don't think I generally have unreasonable expectations, I am accustomed to taking care of things myself, and this was the first time I've used a TA to book a cruise. I think I was just basing my expectations on the rave reviews I've read on this site regarding TAs (specifically MEI) finding their clients great deals and price drops. I think @twangster also mentioned MEI having proprietary software that allows them to track price drops earlier on this topic, which kind of reinforced my misperception.

4 minutes ago, Johnstewarth said:

You're both probably right. I don't think I generally have unreasonable expectations, I am accustomed to doing my own leg work, and this was the first time I've used a TA to book a cruise. I think I was just basing my expectations on the rave reviews I've read on this site regarding TAs (specifically MEI) finding their clients great deals and price drops. I think @twangster also mentioned MEI having proprietary software that allows them to track price drops earlier on this topic, which kind of reinforced my perception.

I am the planner in my group and I am accustomed to doing the work, I still do the work. I usually book and then transfer to my MEI agent and then he gets me a better deal. I booked 3 cruises last week because they sale was amazing and by the time they were transferred over he had saved me more. I feel better about it now that I know my bookings help someone's livelihood. It also doesn't bother me to check prices and alert him, it beats waiting on the phone for a rep.