Repricing Discussion, TA or no TA, Alert Sites

pmh

4 minutes ago, Johnstewarth said:

You're both probably right. I don't think I generally have unreasonable expectations, I am accustomed to doing my own leg work, and this was the first time I've used a TA to book a cruise. I think I was just basing my expectations on the rave reviews I've read on this site regarding TAs (specifically MEI) finding their clients great deals and price drops. I think @twangster also mentioned MEI having proprietary software that allows them to track price drops earlier on this topic, which kind of reinforced my perception.

I am the planner in my group and I am accustomed to doing the work, I still do the work. I usually book and then transfer to my MEI agent and then he gets me a better deal. I booked 3 cruises last week because they sale was amazing and by the time they were transferred over he had saved me more. I feel better about it now that I know my bookings help someone's livelihood. It also doesn't bother me to check prices and alert him, it beats waiting on the phone for a rep. 

On 9/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, CrimsonCruiser said:

Wish me luck guys. I just contacted our (non-MEI 🥲) TA about my first ever price drop. Hoping she'll be able to do it without taking away our Next Cruise OBC!

Happy to say the price drop went through without any loss of OBC or issue!

Yay! $240...SAVED!

• 4 months later...

I have a question.  We are 100% new to cruising and booked a Guarantee Balcony through a TA.  She was like some of the situations above, she said she can't check all the time, but if I find a discount, to let her know.  Yesterday, I got an alert from Cruise Watch about our cruise being cheaper, so I did a mock booking and it's only about $230 cheaper right now.  I messaged her just to see how this process works.  She called RC and they went over pricing with her and assured her we have the lowest price.

So - is there any way to know if we have a "better" balcony room and that's why it's costing more?  My TA was on the road yesterday and said she'd look into it more today at her computer.  We have until March to pay in full, so we've been watching prices. 

19 minutes ago, MelandyGA said:

I have a question.  We are 100% new to cruising and booked a Guarantee Balcony through a TA.  She was like some of the situations above, she said she can't check all the time, but if I find a discount, to let her know.  Yesterday, I got an alert from Cruise Watch about our cruise being cheaper, so I did a mock booking and it's only about $230 cheaper right now.  I messaged her just to see how this process works.  She called RC and they went over pricing with her and assured her we have the lowest price.

So - is there any way to know if we have a "better" balcony room and that's why it's costing more?  My TA was on the road yesterday and said she'd look into it more today at her computer.  We have until March to pay in full, so we've been watching prices. 

They are priced according to cabin category.  While many categories are called "Ocean View Balconies", there are several categories within that title (i.e. 2B vs 5D).  Also make sure you are comparing the right types of deposits (refundable vs nonrefundable).  I've found the "alerts" to only be a general guide, they compare only to the last time they checked (not compared to what you paid), and I've never once in 3 years found that when they see a price drop, my price has actually dropped.

When we reprice online, we take a screenshot of the pricing and send it to our travel agent.  Doing this let’s her we exactly what we are seeing so it’s apples to apples.  

There have been times when we made mistakes or misread things, other times we have been able to pay less. 

I feel like an overworked TA. I check my bookings virtually everyday to see if there has been a price drop. I do a booking for the same cruise and same cabin category inputting my information. Sometimes I hit gold and a booking has dropped significantly. I first make sure I have at least a half hour or forty-five minutes available and then make the call. Yesterday I got right through to an agent, but because I had used an FCC as part of my payment…I had to hold on while my request went through their resolution department. Waiting to connect and holding on are annoying…but I always end up with a friendly, courteous and helpful agent who takes good care of me, so…no complaints with the service. Just the accessibility. I had found a lower price on this particular cruise last week…just before final payment date. Although I had already paid in full, the difference is being credited back to my card. Yesterday, after final payment, the cruise price dropped much more. So this time, the difference is being applied as OBC. I’m glad I still checked it even after getting a lower price last week.

I also learned that if a price dropped on a cruise planner purchase, I book and pay for it before I cancel the first one. Sometimes something like Coco Beach Club opens, but by the time you enter all your info, it may be gone…and the one you cancelled will be taken by someone else.

TAs earn their commissions! I’m going to reward myself by taking me out to dinner and getting me an outlandish dessert. I deserve it. It’s the least I can do!🥳