Royal Caribbean releases Alaska cruise ship protocols for August sailings

14 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don't see that's a requirement.  It says if you don't have one the birth certificate works.

Yes, said either passport or birth certificate is required. My ta said passport isn't required before we booked and mine is being renewed so now have to decide what to do. Not comfortable taking my actual birth certificate. 

Sorry..didn't see the or birth certificate part in your original post!

You should be able to order a certified copy of the birth certificate just in case you don't get your passport back in time.  Just Google certified copy of birth certificate and whatever state you were born in and it should lead you to where you order one ?

Mine certified copy is very plain looking and boring compared to my yellowed original that has an embossed seal on the paper.  

More frustrating to me is that Royal is requiring cruise sponsored excursions for anyone with unvaccinated children! We will be on an August sailing of Ovation and though the entire ship is required to be vaccinated (only those not eligible because of age i.e., under 12) I am amazed that this is a requirement!!! As a US citizen traveling completely within the US and undergoing testing requirements before boarding we are to be denied access to the beautiful ports of call that we planned the entire vacation around. People going to Alaska are not going to simply enjoy the ship and its amenities, we also chose this vacation because of the scenery and activities on land. It seems to me this is Royal's way of being extremely greedy and demanding we pay more money if we want to leave the ship. 

Please let me know your thoughts and how you think this can be solved! 

Thanks-  

1 hour ago, CAD said:

More frustrating to me is that Royal is requiring cruise sponsored excursions for anyone with unvaccinated children! As a US citizen traveling completely within the US and undergoing testing requirements before boarding we are to be denied access to the beautiful ports of call that we planned the entire vacation around.

As I read through the protocols, nowhere did it read that you would be denied access to the ports.  The only restriction that I can see is that if you have unvaccinated children you will need to plan your excursions through Royal.  Which means that you can leave the ship, it will simply be on a Royal-sponsored excursion.

1 hour ago, CAD said:

Please let me know your thoughts and how you think this can be solved! 

I understand how disappointing this must be for you. We prefer independent tours in AK as well. However, much like our cruise we have scheduled for December, we know the protocols are going to be different for bookings this year, and will be ever-changing.  We booked knowing that, and are just excited to get on a ship again. ?

RCI is doing what it needs to do as a business that was shut down for over a year.  I personally think they are simply trying to meet all the concerns they can, knowing they can’t make everyone happy.  I hope you can find some RCI tours you would enjoy.  Otherwise, there is always the option of postponing to next year when rules should be loosening up more. ?

Either way, hope you enjoy your trip to AK.

20 hours ago, BeachGal said:

As I read through the protocols, nowhere did it read that you would be denied access to the ports.  The only restriction that I can see is that if you have unvaccinated children you will need to plan your excursions through Royal.  Which means that you can leave the ship, it will simply be on a Royal-sponsored excursion.

But if you fly to Alaska, and are unvaccinated, you can do ANYTHING you want. Why are recreationaL activities restricted just because you arrived by ship?

38 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

But if you fly to Alaska, and are unvaccinated, you can do ANYTHING you want. Why are recreationaL activities restricted just because you arrived by ship?

This is just part of the ongoing discussion of the CDC treating cruising differently than any other form of travel. It doesn't make any sense but unfortunately this is the reality of cruising in 2021. Fortunately Royal has said if you do not want to cruise with the protocols they have to operate under they will give you a full refund. 

5 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

This is just part of the ongoing discussion of the CDC treating cruising differently than any other form of travel. It doesn't make any sense but unfortunately this is the reality of cruising in 2021. Fortunately Royal has said if you do not want to cruise with the protocols they have to operate under they will give you a full refund. 

Well it really isn't the CDC.  From the CSO;  "consider prohibiting self-guided or independent exploration" for unvaccinated guests and "offer supervised shore excursions." So independent excursions for unvaccinated isn't prohibited.

That said, this Alaska situation is a different kettle of fish entirely.  Here we have American citizens (presumably) visiting an American city, having never stepped foot in a foreign land, being restricted as to what they can and can not do unsupervised. This is skirting the margins of constitutional freedoms.

Full disclosure, I am vaccinated and believe everyone should be, I do not have an Alaskan cruise planned,  BUT, what's right is right, and what's wrong is wrong, and this Alaskan excursion policy is wrong.

12 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

That said, this Alaska situation is a different kettle of fish entirely.  Here we have American citizens (presumably) visiting an American city, having never stepped foot in a foreign land, being restricted as to what they can and can not do unsupervised. This is skirting the margins of constitutional freedoms.

It's all about risk mitigation for the company