Jump to content

Australia/NZ Cruising News


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Why so many Lines pulling out of Australia?

If memory serves,  Virgin said they were pulling out because unrest in the middle east made it unsafe to transit the Suez canal. Without the canal, it was too difficult and expensive to deploy in to Australia and New Zealand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Folks,   if you where thinking about booking Anthem or Celebrity Edge out of Sydney during the 25-26 season. Get the credit card out !!!

The competition is pretty bleak and they are selling quickly ,even Voyager looks like a premium ship compared to the Carnival and P&O ships.

A few friends went on Carnival out of Sydney and they said it was worse than P&O . Filthy old Costa ships run over with kids and drunks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, KWofPerth said:

Singapore cruises for 2025-26 are now available. Looks like they've dropped off the Vietnam and Bangkok ports. There is an 8-nighter to Bali available, otherwise it's all just 3 and 4-nighters.

I wonder if Voyager goes to Singapore after the Brisbane 25-26 season.

Short cruises keep emissions down ,it’s all they can do at the moment.

Hopefully we will be producing ship methanol here soon . There is supposed to be 2 plants coming online ,One in Tasmania and one here in Victoria.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Chili said:

I wonder if Voyager goes to Singapore after the Brisbane 25-26 season.

Short cruises keep emissions down ,it’s all they can do at the moment.

Hopefully we will be producing ship methanol here soon . There is supposed to be 2 plants coming online ,One in Tasmania and one here in Victoria.

 


How do short cruises reduce emissions?

If cruise length is a factor in the emissions equation that seems very short sighted.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, twangster said:


How do short cruises reduce emissions?

If cruise length is a factor in the emissions equation that seems very short sighted.  

Well ,short distance and while in port they don’t use as much fuel is what I was getting at , Not the length of time.

Im still trying to find out if port days add to their emissions. Places where they hook up to shore power could be debatable.

Los Angeles would be a good example and they probably hook up to renewable energy while in port 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chili said:

Well ,short distance and while in port they don’t use as much fuel is what I was getting at , Not the length of time.

Im still trying to find out if port days add to their emissions. Places where they hook up to shore power could be debatable.

Los Angeles would be a good example and they probably hook up to renewable energy while in port 

Short cruises can still have distances to get there and with normal hours in port the ship is burning fuel running multiple engines while not at the pier yet.  The typical four night itinerary has a sea day so burning fuel 24 hours.

Tampa's five night cruises are considered short but requires the ship run higher speeds to make it to Mexico.  

There are very few shore power ports today.   Vancouver has had shore power available for twenty years, it just hasn't been legally mandatory.  Los Angeles is another but shore power isn't free.  California doesn't want air pollution that gets trapped by the mountains and lingers for days.  In California 67% of the grid comes from non-renewable sources with natural gas the largest source making up 37% yet LNG ships are still required to plug in to shore power.   It's about moving the pollution somewhere else and it's a revenue source.  With a nearly $4k vessel commissioning charge so that ships are allowed to plug in where they are then charged around $300 per hour means that it would be cheaper to run on diesel but that isn't allowed by law.  Rates are set by the terminal operator usually a port authority of some sort, who typically have to show a profit on their balance sheets.  Someone has to pay for the shore power infrastructure that cost the port to install.  It isn't taxpayers paying for it.  It's the ships.

A seven night cruise doesn't mean the ship is hauling full out between every port. Many itineraries are built to avoid that.   In fact with new speed restrictions (to lower emissions) the distant port legs have been eliminated in most cases. 

The reason Royal is leaning towards short cruises is all about serving the new to cruise market that is the demographic making up the majority of their customers right now.  For example, with less than 3% of all Americans having ever been on a cruise before, the 97% is their target.  New to cruise don't want to commit to seven nights in case they don't like it or get sea sick.   That 97% are the people filling ships right now.

Short cruises allow them to charge more per night since the overall price tag remains low and within reach for more folks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

P&O Australia will be no more as of early next year.Carnival will absorb it.

P&O Explorer will disappear,probably the scrap yard and one of the carnival ships may go somewhere else in the future.

Thats another brand and 2 ships gone from the Australian market but they are old dirty ships. Doing us a favour really.

Royal Caribbean are you listening?

 

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/06/carnival-cruise-line-to-absorb-po-australia-in-2025/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2SU_S_uRMobBEfy6Q37-V-GMYZPLt2zHey_EjYy5tnsdm2XSBtIGHTb74_aem_Ab1d_0Wyd2CYcjBAdmxfEP77_tnhX2H2Kq-R-AvwWIWJ-_bWCV4z0jge7Io-RTINfyLF0hTSGEwjLts3sY8AT6xc#google_vignette

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2024 at 12:54 PM, Chili said:

P&O Australia will be no more as of early next year.Carnival will absorb it.

P&O Explorer will disappear,probably the scrap yard and one of the carnival ships may go somewhere else in the future.

Thats another brand and 2 ships gone from the Australian market but they are old dirty ships. Doing us a favour really.

Royal Caribbean are you listening?

 

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2024/06/carnival-cruise-line-to-absorb-po-australia-in-2025/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2SU_S_uRMobBEfy6Q37-V-GMYZPLt2zHey_EjYy5tnsdm2XSBtIGHTb74_aem_Ab1d_0Wyd2CYcjBAdmxfEP77_tnhX2H2Kq-R-AvwWIWJ-_bWCV4z0jge7Io-RTINfyLF0hTSGEwjLts3sY8AT6xc#google_vignette

 

As sad as it is, I'm not surprised P&O Australia is disappearing, they keep advertising cheap cruises all the time, and I have a feeling it's because noone ever sailed with them or they couldn't fill ships. I feel like a huge part is because they've been using older ships for like the past 20 or so years and there were never any newly build ships specifically made for them. People want to try new things... that's just my take though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sailed on the Pacific Eden back in 2016, and while she was a really nice ship, she did feel a bit outdated. Carnival Panorama was supposedly built specifically for Australia as the lines first "new" ship, but Carnival decided to keep it at Carnival instead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

The news that P&O is being absorbed into Carnival, as well as Cunard, Princess and Virgin pulling out of the Australian market makes me worried that Royal will be the next to go...

You have a point, but I think they'll see it as an opportunity.  Less competition means higher prices and bigger profits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

The news that P&O is being absorbed into Carnival, as well as Cunard, Princess and Virgin pulling out of the Australian market makes me worried that Royal will be the next to go...

It’s a bit of a worry but Royal needs somewhere to send their Alaskan ships during the northern winter. I think we will always get one in Sydney.

All those port upgrades that have been done,like Eden and Hobart to take a Oasis class is waste of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jamesszy94 said:

They could just decide to send their ships to Europe or something. 🤷‍♂️

Quantum and Voyager class won’t go through the Panama Canal and it would be winter in Europe anyway.

About the only place they can send them at the moment is California or Australia.Singapore usually gets a ship from China during the northern winter ,so we can rule that out.

We don’t really need another cruise terminal in Sydney now ,put that way !

I wonder what has really caused it ,I suppose a combination of things.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Quantum and Voyager class won’t go through the Panama Canal and it would be winter in Europe anyway.

About the only place they can send them at the moment is California or Australia.Singapore usually gets a ship from China during the northern winter ,so we can rule that out.

We don’t really need another cruise terminal in Sydney now ,put that way !

I wonder what has really caused it ,I suppose a combination of things.

 

A combination of a lot of things. Adrian (Thecruiseandtravelguy) thinks it's the increasing port fees for the different destinations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn’t aware Australia has American style PVSA and cruise ships get a exemption but apparently the exemption is under review.

 I was wondering why Royal Caribbean only has a couple of domestic cruises for the 25-26 season.

https://cruiseweekly.com.au/news/govt-silent-on-cruise-exemption/78903

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/cruise-industry-campaign-for-change/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chili said:

The prices for the 25-26 season are pretty obscene . Even with a few free drinks,it’s not a cheap holiday anymore.

I think 2025-2026 might be my last cruise in Australia. It's just way too expensive to cruise in Australia, better off flying to Singapore and then cruising from there. 

^ Follow up video to the last one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...