Dolphin encounter excursion....where?

Can't offer recent info, but I will advise to make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at different excursions.

Some are only an 'encounter' in which you stand on a submerged platform and animal swims up to you... 

Others are actually 'swimming' during which you get drug through the water while holding on... 

Second option is generally more expensive...

My advice is to wear sturdy water shoes and bring plenty of money.  My son and I went last time we were in the Caribbean.  It was a fabulous experience, we interacted with the dolphins, fed them, rubbed their backs and they swam around us, but we did not "swim with the dolphins".  The photos were expensive. The DVD was even more costly, but preserving the memories of my then 8 year old son with his absolute favorite mammal was priceless!

18 hours ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

We have several Caribbean cruises booked and am planning on taking my daughter (13) on a dolphin swim type excursion.  Is there a specific port that stands out over others that would be best for a dolphin excursion?

We did a combination excursion at Jamaica--Dunns River Falls and a dolphin experience.  It was worth it.  The photos are expensive, as mentioned.  We bought just one of our son being kissed by a dolphin, but it provides a lasting memory.  Also, as mentioned, you need to decide how much interaction with dolphins you want.

St. Kitts also has a dolphin excursion, which my family and I did. Was a bucket-list item for my wife, so damn the expense and full speed ahead! ? 

I believe all of the dolphin encounter / swim-with places are run by a single parent company / organization; there certainly doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in pricing or packages to be found, which implies someone is coordinating that across the islands that offer it. I'm not normally one to recommend online reviews, but if you have multiple places to choose from then it might be worth it. Don't look for comments about the cost; check for reviews that mention whether the caretakers seem to genuinely care about the dolphins, whether the dolphins looked OK / in good health, etc.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

St. Kitts also has a dolphin excursion, which my family and I did. Was a bucket-list item for my wife, so damn the expense and full speed ahead! ? 

I believe all of the dolphin encounter / swim-with places are run by a single parent company / organization; there certainly doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in pricing or packages to be found, which implies someone is coordinating that across the islands that offer it. I'm not normally one to recommend online reviews, but if you have multiple places to choose from then it might be worth it. Don't look for comments about the cost; check for reviews that mention whether the caretakers seem to genuinely care about the dolphins, whether the dolphins looked OK / in good health, etc.

which implies someone is coordinating that across the islands that offer it.

So Joe, are you implying that there is something "fishy" going on? ?

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Great advice. Thank you!