Intrastate cruises will most likely kick off Australia's cruising resumption, whenever that might be...

2 hours ago, Vanessa77 said:

Fingers crossed. What confuses me is the terms ‘international travel ban extended to June 17’ which apparently automatically includes cruising, yet travel to NZ, which is technically international, by plane is ok. Like it seems weird that we have a bubble but the means of travel to the country matters. 

Either way, happy to see they’ve started the discussion. Here’s hoping that P&O gets the go ahead from June 17, leading the way for the full season to begin as usual in October. 

I don't know for sure but I imagine the flight crews in this case are made up of either AU or NZ citizens/residents.  Contrast that with cruise ships where the crew are from all over potentially.   Consequently flights get an exception, one that could more easily be revoked should the need arise. 

Allowing cruise ships to sail requires a significant level of effort to crew and prepare.  Revoking that a month later would be financial ruin at a scale much larger compared to flights where aircraft and crew could potentially still be used domestically.  

It's a small step in the right direction that will hopefully lead to a bigger step eventually (cruise ships between the two countries).

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

I don't know for sure but I imagine the flight crews in this case are made up of either AU or NZ citizens/residents.  Contrast that with cruise ships where the crew are from all over potentially.   Consequently flights get an exception, one that could more easily be revoked should the need arise. 

Allowing cruise ships to sail requires a significant level of effort to crew and prepare.  Revoking that a month later would be financial ruin at a scale much larger compared to flights where aircraft and crew could potentially still be used domestically.  

It's a small step in the right direction that will hopefully lead to a bigger step eventually (cruise ships between the two countries).

Yes they are all NZ/Aust flight crew flying the bubble flights. Aslo any crew who flies ne of those flights can't fly any other international flight for 14 days before they scheduled NZ/Aust flight and must test negative twice during that time.

I see flights and cruise very different to each other. A flight has assigned seating and very little movement on board. With masks mandatory during the whole flight there is actually very little case of transmission (the airport is a whole other story). I'd see a cruise ship like an indoor entertainment venue, say a night club or bar etc. If you allow those open then you should low cruises (Which we do in NZ/Aust so I'd have no problem with cruising with the right precautions etc). I do have a concern that cruising does traditionally attract an older clientele (Says the 40ish year old who have been on about 15 cruises) which of course are more likely to have server reactions if they catch COVID. For their sake I would like to see everyone vaccinated before cruising even if NZ and Aust are COVID free (I'd hate to see a case that say a boarder worker went on a cruise only to find they had non symptomatic COVID and spread it to someone who might not be able to fight it as well as me due to age or medical conditions etc).

I think comparing cruises to flying actually doesn't help the argument to start cruising again. If we instead look at similar activities like indoor entertainment establishments, gyms, swimming pools, bars etc I think we can form a far better argument why cursing should resume (At least in NZ/Aust).