Covid Vaccine 90% Effective!

Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine could cost Britain £588million and wind up being seven times more expensive per dose than the one being developed by Oxford University.

The jab, which the company this week claimed is 90 per cent effective and could be approved by regulators within weeks, is likely to cost at least £15 per dose and must be stored in specially designed ice packs that can cost approximately £5,000 each.

A vaccine being produced by Oxford, however, may cost as little as £2.23 per dose after the university and manufacturer AstraZeneca agreed not to profit from it.

Part of article from link below 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8937191/amp/Pfizers-coronavirus-jab-cost-seven-times-Oxfords.html

12 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

I suspect (well, speculate really) that my own government, for a period of time (several years, say), will require anyone entering the country to carry certification/proof of vaccination. The outcome would obviously be that anyone wanting to take a cruise would need to be vaccinated.

I could see lots of governments around the world implementing this measure, in much the same way as, for example, yellow fever vaccinations, in order to potentially avoid imported cases.

Another thing I have learned about Pfizer's announcement, is that the 90% efficacy quoted applies to prevention of catching the Covid-19 disease. It says nothing about being infected with the virus in the first place.

So although an individual could take the vaccine and be 90% confident of not getting sick if they caught the virus, they would not be immune from being infected with the virus.

More information needed at this stage.

1 hour ago, KWofPerth said:

So although an individual could take the vaccine and be 90% confident of not getting sick if they caught the virus, they would not be immune from being infected with the virus.

Strictly speaking, this is how all vaccines work. None of them prevent infection. Instead, they make sure that the immune system is sufficiently primed that when you do get infected, your immune system reacts so fast that the virus doesn't have a chance to build up to critical mass and cause symptoms.

Think of it like police (immune system) watching the highways and local roads (blood stream) for speeding drivers (virus). The effect on the immune system from getting vaccinated is like hiring a bunch of extra police and setting them along the highways and local roads over a much greater area and higher density, so that speeders are much more likely to be caught and stopped before a bunch of other drivers decide "hell, I'm gonna speed!" (infected cells releasing more virus). Some will get by at first, but with all those extra forces out there, they'll be caught before too many other people are speeding and causing massive pile-ups.

31 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Strictly speaking, this is how all vaccines work. None of them prevent infection. Instead, they make sure that the immune system is sufficiently primed that when you do get infected, your immune system reacts so fast that the virus doesn't have a chance to build up to critical mass and cause symptoms.

Think of it like police (immune system) watching the highways and local roads (blood stream) for speeding drivers (virus). The effect on the immune system from getting vaccinated is like hiring a bunch of extra police and setting them along the highways and local roads over a much greater area and higher density, so that speeders are much more likely to be caught and stopped before a bunch of other drivers decide "hell, I'm gonna speed!" (infected cells releasing more virus). Some will get by at first, but with all those extra forces out there, they'll be caught before too many other people are speeding and causing massive pile-ups.

Aahh, thanks Joe!

On 11/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, Gears said:

The Pfizer vaccine has shipping and storage requirements due to stability challenges. Apparently, shipping and storage requirements are...-80 deg C.

BioNTech and Pfizer are working on getting the temp down (or rather up). My understanding is that they chose a temp they knew would work, and are working higher storage temps in tandem with other things.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, Gears said:

Learned some things from our bio-tech lab chemists today...

The Pfizer vaccine has shipping and storage requirements due to stability challenges. Apparently, shipping and storage requirements are...-80 deg C.

The vaccine deteriorates rapidly if not stored at or below that temperature. Not the end of the world obviously, but will certainly present some logistical hurdles.

Contract with Schwann's to transport....Problem Solved! ?  The Ice Cream on those trucks is at least -80 C.

• 3 weeks later...