Jump to content

Next May in Europe 2021 what's your thoughts


Recommended Posts

I'm very very tempted by a week 9th May Barcelona Med cruise.

I am just wondering if we still can move it if things haven't gotten better.

I am afraid that once the vaccine is out prices will skyrocket so looking to book now it's only £450 deposit. Even better if we find it cheaper elsewhere we can even claim an onboard credit. For me I am quietly confident that by May 2021 we shall be vaccinated and ready to go. Even if it means paying for a vaccination.

Itching to get searching for drink package offers again ?

 

Just to clarify I live in Belgium and flights to Spain are plentiful. 

 

EDIT there is no news of Royal going bust is there? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two Europe based cruises booked right now in spring of 2021.  I'm on the fence with them meaning I'm undecided.  Final payment isn't due until early in 2021 so I have some time to sit and wait to see how the pandemic evolves until then.  

I am confident that Royal will be around, so much so I am booking new cruises in 2022.  I consider the deposits toward these cruises to be low risk.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

U.S. cruiser here: We are not even thinking of any cruise before December 2021. Even then, if we were to book, it would be with the understanding that we would bail out on the cruise if conditions have not improved. If we got a credit or a refund, so be it. In this climate, we would have to be willing to lose any money (or argue with RCI at a much later date.)

For the first time we would be gambling on a cruise - in this case, on the cruise itself. But we're not going to bet our lives on it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve got October 2021 Med on Odyssey. I feel fairly confident we will have learned to live with this virus. Heck at the rate US cases are going, I think herd immunity is getting closer each day! Honestly as long as mortality rate continues to decline (currently less than .05%) the virus will be more of a nuisance. Still troublesome for those with co-morbidities but manageable for the vast majority. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jill said:

We’ve got October 2021 Med on Odyssey. I feel fairly confident we will have learned to live with this virus. Heck at the rate US cases are going, I think herd immunity is getting closer each day! Honestly as long as mortality rate continues to decline (currently less than .05%) the virus will be more of a nuisance. Still troublesome for those with co-morbidities but manageable for the vast majority. 

I agree! I would book a sailing for next year with the current (really great) prices before they inevitably rise

We are booked for Norway and Iceland June 2021 and have confidence we will be sailing, with or without a vaccine (which I do think will be available by then). Right or wrong, people won't keep living in this distancing bubble forever and I think will take the risks and travel in 2021. We are (relatively) young and healthy and would feel comfortable sailing, especially with the changes that I am sure will be put in place to make cruising even safer. But of course situations differ ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, twangster said:

If you move the cruise before final payment is due then the final payment deadline for the new future cruise also moves.

Thanks Twangster that is very reassuring. 

Honestly there are 4 level 3 trials going on for a vaccine the Oxford people are very confident their vaccine works with no major side effects. I honestly would be very surprised if we don't see a roll out before end 2020.  I will be first in the queue to get one. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MrB said:

U.S. cruiser here: We are not even thinking of any cruise before December 2021. Even then, if we were to book, it would be with the understanding that we would bail out on the cruise if conditions have not improved. If we got a credit or a refund, so be it. In this climate, we would have to be willing to lose any money (or argue with RCI at a much later date.)

For the first time we would be gambling on a cruise - in this case, on the cruise itself. But we're not going to bet our lives on it.

 

I fully understand your worries which are legitimate but since RC are still allowing free movement of the cruise upto 48 hours before sailing I think snagging a good price is also important especially now they have moved the rebooking date to 2022.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, Jill said:

We’ve got October 2021 Med on Odyssey. I feel fairly confident we will have learned to live with this virus. Heck at the rate US cases are going, I think herd immunity is getting closer each day! Honestly as long as mortality rate continues to decline (currently less than .05%) the virus will be more of a nuisance. Still troublesome for those with co-morbidities but manageable for the vast majority. 

A few random thoughts.  

1). We (maybe only Asia .... followed soon by Europe) have already figured out how to "live with the virus".  They wear a mask, physically distance, and trace and track with tenacious efforts.  There is hope as we eventually follow their example. (This one seems to be fairly clear as a path foward).

2) "Herd Immunity" is probably a long shot.  COVID 19 seems to mimic other viruses, where we develop antibodies with a limited "shelf life".  It might be more like the flu.  This is good news as we know how to defend ourselves against the flu.  The flu yearly shot is not perfect ... but compared to our current situation it is Nirvana. (Still not enough data to figure this one out yet).

3).  The number of vaccines in development is very, very encouraging.  They will not be 100% effective (like the flu shot), but they will probably be good enough. (Still not enough data to figure this one out yet ... still this is the hope, this is my dream ... I will do everything I possibly can to make this happen).

Stay Safe, Stay Distanced, Stay Connected.  I hope all of you and yours are healthy, happy and wise,

 

Curt from Canada

 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi all,

Decided against it because I cannot get cheap flights from my home town to Barcelona and the reason for booking (option to cancel) is not available to the flight selection so apart from my deposit of £800 I would also need to add €600 non refundable flights price will only go up as this is a school holiday break week so prices will rise. 

My insurance company is no longer paying out on covid cancellations on new bookings so I would be stuck with useless flights in case of a cancellation. 

What a pity.

If things improve I'll check again after new year to see what's still available.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...