Where do I find my room number?

PB05

Just booked my first cruise for Symphony of the Seas leaving next month. I did the balcony room and let them pick my room.  When I log in to my profile I cant seem to find what my room will be. Any ideas? Or will they automatically book my room once we get closer to departure? 

They could wait until RoyalUp is finalized before they finalize your room. One time when I let them pick my room I did not find out the room number or where the room was located until a few days before my cruise, so the same thing might happen with your room; especially since the people who bid on staterooms through RoyalUp have to be denied or accepted before they can pick your room. There is a chance that if they don’t have any balcony rooms left when they pick your room, they could automatically upgrade you to a suite @ no additional charge unless you made a bid for a suite through Royalup and the bid was accepted.

40 minutes ago, PB05 said:

Just booked my first cruise for Symphony of the Seas leaving next month. I did the balcony room and let them pick my room.  When I log in to my profile I cant seem to find what my room will be. Any ideas? Or will they automatically book my room once we get closer to departure? 

Make sure that you click on View More Details under your booking to expand that area.  It may show a room assignment there.  If your eDocs are ready you may get a hint as to where you are by reading through them..they may have assigned it but not updated it on the site.  Check the luggage tags in the eDocs as well.

That`s  the scary thing about letting them pick your room.  Not to be the devils advocate. What if there are no rooms. Do they reimburse your air fare, etc.? I would check with my travel agent and get their advice. If you don`t have one you may want to consider one.  They are free and worth it.  And you may get a perk or two thrown in. 

Just now, fonemanbob said:

That`s  the scary thing about letting them pick your room.  Not to be the devils advocate. What if there are no rooms. Do they reimburse your air fare, etc.? I would check with my travel agent and get their advice. If you don`t have one you may want to consider one.  They are free and worth it.  And you may get a perk or two thrown in. 

It's highly doubtful this would happen..it would be a rare, rare, rare scenario.  It's more likely if they ran out of rooms in your category that they would start trying to offer upgrades to others to free up a room.  As a last resort they may put you into a much better room than you paid for.  

Getting the lower price for a GTY room does have the drawback and not knowing what room you will end up with.  That's the trade-off for the lower price.  But you will have a room and if you don't care where you are going to be on the ship, might as well save the extra money!

As the ship begins to fill up both Royal Up and GTY bookings are often used to optimize muster zone capacity.  This can delay GTY assignments.

Cabins are allocated to a specific muster station which is associated with specific lifeboats.  Lifeboat have a finite capacity and they are not allowed to oversubscribe lifeboat capacity.  

If a specific muster zone has capacity for 7 more guests versus another one that can accommodate two more guests they can review the GTY and Royal Up bids to assign or move people around to better optimize each muster zone possibly resulting in being able to sell one more cabin or add a guest that otherwise might be unavailable.   

56 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

While overselling is (or was) more common in the aviation industry it's not as prevalent in the cruise industry.   

A hotel reservation is basically a GTY booking and even when a hotel is fully booked up it's very rare for a guest with a reservation to be turned away. 

Not all cabins on a ship will appear in inventory for booking.  Some are held back for various purposes including crew overflow when entertainment cast are turning over or other work is occurring that requires temporary crew or contractor space beyond the crew quarters capacity.  Like hotels often a couple cabins may be blocked out of inventory to deal with emergencies (even if Guest Services says there are no cabins available).

4 hours ago, twangster said:

A hotel reservation is basically a GTY booking and even when a hotel is fully booked up it's very rare for a guest with a reservation to be turned away. 

As someone who used to work in the hotel industry and has had to "walk,"  that's what it is called in the industry when you have to take a guest with a confirmed reservation to another accommodations, it is no fun.  Although this isn't that common, it does happen. Hotels usually overbook by a set % based on history, to maximize occupancy. We have also had times when we had overbooked a room category and upgraded a guest to a higher category as @twangsterhad suggested. A Royal Up at no cost.

I'm double Pinnacle (point count, not being snooty) and just had an overbook for the JW earlier this year. A special desk rep called to see if I was interested in doing the canal for free (only had to pay taxes/fees) later this year. ALL of my monies were refunded including air penalties so no complaints. It is the only time it's happened to me but was an interesting peek behind the curtain.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

I'm double Pinnacle (point count, not being snooty) and just had an overbook for the JW earlier this year. A special desk rep called to see if I was interested in doing the canal for free (only had to pay taxes/fees) later this year. ALL of my monies were refunded including air penalties so no complaints. It is the only time it's happened to me but was an interesting peek behind the curtain.

It pays to be pinnacle :) 

15 hours ago, twangster said:

It pays to be pinnacle ?

My largest overall $aving$ has been the solo travel discount that kicked in as D+. DW wanted to know " why you keep dragging me along on these cruises." So playing into the "how can I miss you if you don't go away" line, this has worked out well for both us?

I know it's wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but 29 year anniversary right around the corner!

28 minutes ago, Hagar said:

My largest overall $aving$ has been the solo travel discount that kicked in as D+. DW wanted to know " why you keep dragging me along on these cruises." So playing into the "how can I miss you if you don't go away" line, this has worked out well for both us?

I know it's wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but 29 year anniversary right around the corner!

Congrats!

DP340 has been a game changer for me, especially for bucket list cruises like Panama, Hawaii, Norway, Med, Greece, etc.  

I didn't have any July or August cruises booked until Empress and Majesty opened up without single supplements in July and August so I picked up a few cruises on the old girls.