av3206

Dinner dress code for men

It is always best to think about others which is why I often give up a prime spot on a railing at a glacier when I've taken a few pictures - let someone else enjoy it.  Being courteous to others when boarding elevators or waiting to order a drink at a bar comes naturally. 

However I draw the line at dressing up for others so some of them might feel better, maybe?  I don't notice what other folks wear in dining rooms.  It has zero impact on the taste of my meal or the company I am sharing.   This applies in land restaurants and on ships.  That's not to say I wear crappy clothes with a "just off the beach" look but I haven't packed a jacket or tie for a cruise in a while now.  I wear long pants and on formal nights a long sleeve short with a collar when I eat in the MDR.  

If I sailed a luxury line or a different line that stated a dress code I would follow it.  Royal does not have a dress code.  Period.  I paid as much or more than my fellow guests and I'm not dressing up for any of them.  I have no issue with folks that choose to dress up, that is their choice.  I do not consider this to be self centered or damaging to other guests in any way just as someone who wears a tuxedo hasn't damaged me or my experience in any way.

I could write a 400-page-book about how sensitivity to others ruined my mother's life… and how not understanding social conventions is ruining mine.

Happily, in the blessed cruise vacation bubble, I forget all of this. This is what vacationing is about...

Last thought from me in this topic; if someone wearing shorts is ruining your life/holiday then (a) you’re lucky that’s all you have to worry about and (b) maybe you need to get a hobby.

Also, funny that no one has still commented on why they find shorts offensive but not women in knee length skirts or dresses - why are men’s legs more worrisome than women’s?

5 hours ago, twangster said:

It is always best to think about others which is why I often give up a prime spot on a railing at a glacier when I've taken a few pictures - let someone else enjoy it.  Being courteous to others when boarding elevators or waiting to order a drink at a bar comes naturally. 

However I draw the line at dressing up for others so some of them might feel better, maybe?  I don't notice what other folks wear in dining rooms.  It has zero impact on the taste of my meal or the company I am sharing.   This applies in land restaurants and on ships.  That's not to say I wear crappy clothes with a "just off the beach" look but I haven't packed a jacket or tie for a cruise in a while now.  I wear long pants and on formal nights a long sleeve short with a collar when I eat in the MDR.  

If I sailed a luxury line or a different line that stated a dress code I would follow it.  Royal does not have a dress code.  Period.  I paid as much or more than my fellow guests and I'm not dressing up for any of them.  I have no issue with folks that choose to dress up, that is their choice.  I do not consider this to be self centered or damaging to other guests in any way just as someone who wears a tuxedo hasn't damaged me or my experience in any way.

I signed up just to give a big thumbs up to this post. If you want to sneer at people for dressing smart but not as stuffy as you go find a different cruise line.

The only person I dress to impress is my wife...if she thinks dressing formal is appropriate and she is going to "get dolled up" for dinner then youre damn right Im going to dress nice.  Otherwise I would rather be comfortable and I quit caring about what others think about me a LONG time ago.  Life is so much better when you mind your own business and just live your own life.  If everyone would worry about them, get a job and mind their own business well.....that would fix 90% of the world today.

+1 to dressing for only one person (my soulmate).  Each night I ask her what she wants me to wear.  It takes me less than 15 minutes.  Making her happy makes me happy.

With respect to what others wear, I like to apply the old French Proverb:

"Praise the god of all, drink the wine, and let the world be the world."

Wear whatever you want ... we are not watching.

1 hour ago, Yo2slick said:

The only person I dress to impress is my wife...if she thinks dressing formal is appropriate and she is going to "get dolled up" for dinner then youre damn right Im going to dress nice.  Otherwise I would rather be comfortable and I quit caring about what others think about me a LONG time ago.  Life is so much better when you mind your own business and just live your own life.  If everyone would worry about them, get a job and mind their own business well.....that would fix 90% of the world today.

This is pretty much the way I see it. 

One more thought.....

If a woman wears a 2 piece swim suit into the MDR, I'm not going to say anything. But my wife will.....to me.  Like it's my fault she's there.... 🙄

23 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Some folks are going to be sensitive to others, some aren't.  It is your choice.  Perhaps think about what your parents or teachers might say -- are you acting like the person you want to become?    When I was a teen and a young man, I accidentally offended people I cared about because I didn't fully understand social conventions.  I choose not to do that now, when I am aware of my surroundings.   That is all I am saying.  On any cruise, some guests will err towards being self-centered and others to being more sensitive of others, knowing they are from diverse backgrounds.  No one is denying anyone rights to dress as they please - that is not the point. 

Everyone who has posted has a valid feeling or perception.  I just ask that you think about others, since we don't always see a lot of that in the social media or certain TV networks.

So, just to check.  Sometime in the future, you walk into the MDR wearing pants and you realize that 75% of people are in shorts.  Do you immediately turn around, return to your cabin, and change into shorts in order to be sensitive to the social convention?  If not, you can't expect that of those that want to wear shorts now.

So, just to check.  Sometime in the future, you walk into the MDR wearing pants and you realize that 75% of people are in shorts.  Do you immediately turn around, return to your cabin, and change into shorts in order to be sensitive to the social convention?  If not, you can't expect that of those that want to wear shorts now.

FManke reacted to this
  • You sound a little defensive, which not the point.  My point is that some people don't seem to understand the basis for social guidelines, which I believe involves sensitivity to others.  That was the point.  Being dressed to the 9's on formal night while being rude isn't following the established guidelines, as most members here agree.  Being rude isn't socially acceptable, and it ruins the evening for some. I stand by my belief that there are a diversity of opportunities on RCI ships for a diversity of lifestyles, and we can embrace that by using a little common sense and following clearly communicated RCI guidelines at particular venues, where that is feasible.
  •  
  •                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               To your point, In a parallel universe on another planet where the MDR guidelines were to wear shorts, I'd wear shorts.  There would be an underlying reason for that guideline apparent to most everyone.  Reminds me of some Star Trek episodes....  I will stand down but wish to point out that this all started because someone asked a question for which there is a "book" RCI answer, which has been communicated.  Ciao

W

Here's my thoughts on this...Is this a public venue or private? Either way it's up to the establishment for policing there policy's and enforcing rules.  I do however dislike when they state formal attire and people show up in t-shirt and shorts, but its not up to me to enforce there rules...I say don't let them in or change the attire guidelines.  It is considered rude to show up in inappropriate attire knowing what the dress code is.  That to me shows disrespect to the establishment and those around that your clearly a "it's all about me" entitled individual and no respect to others.

Last night was our second formal night and i did see people in t-shirts and jeans, t-shirts and shorts (not dressy) with the majority in appropriate attire. 

Maybe Royal Caribbean should have those not in designated attire in one dining room and the rest in main dining.  Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Either way it's up to the establishment for policing there policy's and enforcing rules.  

I agree.

Rules are only rules if they are enforced. If you are making rules for the majority, you need to enforce those rules with the minority. Make up your mind RC. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:07 PM, whenismynextcruise said:

This topic comes up a lot and it always makes me wonder.....are pants that hard to wear? All medical or physical disclaimers aside....they are just longer shorts :)

Honestly I think it has to do more with packing. Your in a warm environment, pants take up extra suitcase space. I get your point but if I fly to Miami for a week, there will be no long pants in my case. Its vacation in the heat and comfortable is the word.  

Yeah, the hubs is not so keen on wearing pants on the cruise. And do they designate no jeans?  Frankly, I think nice khaki shorts are nicer than jeans in most cases.  On formal night, we'll likely go elsewhere (tho it's the Majesty, so not a TON of other options).  But want to plan to go to the MDR most other nights. We'll bring a couple of polo shirts for him to wear (probably only for dinner) and maybe one pair of pants.

But I guess this all begs the question - should there be ANY limits to the dress code in the MDR?  I mean, are tank tops, tube tops and cutoffs ok?  Folks might say that's silly, but seriously, if we all draw our own line, who knows where it stops.  Naked night?  Ok, so THAT'S def too far! 😂

Again, we're a casual couple (that both dress in business attire for work) that will choose to skip the formal night. But I like the suggestions on relaxing the dress code for the MDR or one of the dining rooms. Tho maybe on bigger ships w/ more options, it isn't as big of a deal.  

1 minute ago, BethGR said:

Naked night?  Ok, so THAT'S def too far! 😂

That made me LOL. Formal night in MDR on Symphony last month had some of everything. Couples in evening gowns and tuxes, others in dressy casual, others very casual. Years back there were always comments made about people who were not dressed formally--not necessarily tuxes, but dressed up. The last couple of years we have heard nothing. I'm not sure if most have accepted that people are on vacation and want to be relaxed or if they gave up worrying about it.

Personally, we split the difference. After a day at beach/pool or a long excursion we don't mind dressing a little when preparing for dinner. I'll usually bring a pair of casual dressy pants, a shirt and a vest. If the mood hits me, I'll actually throw on a tie. Wife usually brings dress pants and 2 different shirts. We also understand that people are on vacation and may not want to do a buffet so they come in to the MDR "underdressed". Does not bother us at all. Nothing that anybody wears can have an affect on us enjoying our vacation.

Actually, the only comments we make come when we have a "WOW" moment looking at some of the spectacularly dressed people. I sometimes want to take pictures of them, but that would be rude (and creepy).

7 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

This is me, I get dressed up every day for work, so I typically don't bring much for a cruise, but the Wife likes to have a couple of nice photos taken, so I will bring clothes for that, which usually coincides with formal nights, but I always wear at a minimum slacks and a polo shirt for dinner. But after dinner I'm down at the room putting on shorts for the rest of the evening.

A recent cruise we took we were spending a lot of time in the Diamond lounge during the day, provided a nice place to relax and read out of the sun, one evening we got to the lounge at around 5:45'ish, my wife wanted a glass of wine to take back to the room. I was berated by a Pinnacle for not adhering to the proper dress code for the Diamond lounge, I blew him off because I thought he was kidding until I left and saw a sign on the door explaining the proper dress for Diamond happy hour. 

I will tell one story at Dan's expense... (he won't care, anyway).

MANY years ago we were on Radiance and for whatever reason (I can't remember but I think we had just gotten back from an excursion or something) we went to the MDR; Dan had on shorts and I can't remember what I was wearing but I am SURE it wasn't "dressy".

The Maitre d' stopped Dan and told him "no shorts in the dining room".  I went and sat down at our dining table and waited for him to come back.  I will tell you this.  Dan has NEVER EVER shown up in a dining room of ANY kind in shorts again since that day.  He does not get dressed UP (unless it's formal night.  The man loves his tux !) for dinner but by GOD he does not wear shorts EVER.  He has been known to wear jeans on occasion but never shorts.

7 hours ago, BethGR said:

Naked night?  Ok, so THAT'S def too far! 😂

So RCCL is always looking at saving money on food supplies. That would do it. Nobody would be eating that night.

I'm on HoTS in August via Amsterdam via Boston.

I have 20KG/44lb  luggage weight for my case,  I cannot make space for formal night suits. 

On formal night I might decide to eat elsewhere or in MDR. We were on explorer in May and some dressed (I did.) and some didn't.

I don't really care what other's do but I do enjoy seeing everyone in the finest it does create an ambience but that's just a personal opinion.

I'd enjoy sitting having a laugh at the table with someone in shorts or a tux I'm paying a lot to enjoy my cruise and I'm gonna do just that !