Dinner dress code for men

av3206

1 minute ago, BethGR said:

Naked night?  Ok, so THAT'S def too far! ?

That made me LOL. Formal night in MDR on Symphony last month had some of everything. Couples in evening gowns and tuxes, others in dressy casual, others very casual. Years back there were always comments made about people who were not dressed formally--not necessarily tuxes, but dressed up. The last couple of years we have heard nothing. I'm not sure if most have accepted that people are on vacation and want to be relaxed or if they gave up worrying about it.

Personally, we split the difference. After a day at beach/pool or a long excursion we don't mind dressing a little when preparing for dinner. I'll usually bring a pair of casual dressy pants, a shirt and a vest. If the mood hits me, I'll actually throw on a tie. Wife usually brings dress pants and 2 different shirts. We also understand that people are on vacation and may not want to do a buffet so they come in to the MDR "underdressed". Does not bother us at all. Nothing that anybody wears can have an affect on us enjoying our vacation.

Actually, the only comments we make come when we have a "WOW" moment looking at some of the spectacularly dressed people. I sometimes want to take pictures of them, but that would be rude (and creepy).

7 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

The only person I dress to impress is my wife...if she thinks dressing formal is appropriate and she is going to "get dolled up" for dinner then youre damn right Im going to dress nice.  Otherwise I would rather be comfortable and I quit caring about what others think about me a LONG time ago.  Life is so much better when you mind your own business and just live your own life.  If everyone would worry about them, get a job and mind their own business well.....that would fix 90% of the world today.

This is me, I get dressed up every day for work, so I typically don't bring much for a cruise, but the Wife likes to have a couple of nice photos taken, so I will bring clothes for that, which usually coincides with formal nights, but I always wear at a minimum slacks and a polo shirt for dinner. But after dinner I'm down at the room putting on shorts for the rest of the evening.

A recent cruise we took we were spending a lot of time in the Diamond lounge during the day, provided a nice place to relax and read out of the sun, one evening we got to the lounge at around 5:45'ish, my wife wanted a glass of wine to take back to the room. I was berated by a Pinnacle for not adhering to the proper dress code for the Diamond lounge, I blew him off because I thought he was kidding until I left and saw a sign on the door explaining the proper dress for Diamond happy hour. 

I will tell one story at Dan's expense... (he won't care, anyway).

MANY years ago we were on Radiance and for whatever reason (I can't remember but I think we had just gotten back from an excursion or something) we went to the MDR; Dan had on shorts and I can't remember what I was wearing but I am SURE it wasn't "dressy".

The Maitre d' stopped Dan and told him "no shorts in the dining room".  I went and sat down at our dining table and waited for him to come back.  I will tell you this.  Dan has NEVER EVER shown up in a dining room of ANY kind in shorts again since that day.  He does not get dressed UP (unless it's formal night.  The man loves his tux !) for dinner but by GOD he does not wear shorts EVER.  He has been known to wear jeans on occasion but never shorts.

I'm on HoTS in August via Amsterdam via Boston.

I have 20KG/44lb  luggage weight for my case,  I cannot make space for formal night suits. 

On formal night I might decide to eat elsewhere or in MDR. We were on explorer in May and some dressed (I did.) and some didn't.

I don't really care what other's do but I do enjoy seeing everyone in the finest it does create an ambience but that's just a personal opinion.

I'd enjoy sitting having a laugh at the table with someone in shorts or a tux I'm paying a lot to enjoy my cruise and I'm gonna do just that !