Medications allowed?

ThyriC

Hello!  First time poster, long time lurker.

So my first question is, for prescription medications, do I need the original pill bottles for prescription and non prescription medications when cruising?  I think I might be able to get my pharmacy to bottle my medications in smaller bottles for travel, but I am on a controlled medication if that matters.  My husband and travel companion also has several prescription and non prescription medications.

Usually when travelling in the US, I just put the medications in my purse in a zip lock bag for each medication with a little label on it (the ziploc snack bags with the label on them work perfect for me)but because we're going to Bermuda in October on Grandeur, I just wanted to have an idea of how to pack the medications.  Must they be in the unchecked bag?  Can they be in checked luggage?  

I have always portioned them out in the pill containers you can buy at any pharmacy and I put them in my carry-on and have never had a problem. Putting them in your carry on is safer as well in case your luggage is delayed or lost for any reason.

Not sure if this is part of your question but cruise lines follow federal law so canabas, whether prescribed or not, is not allowed on cruise ships. 

We just put ours in daily containers and have never had a problem.  Just make sure you pack more than the cruise days, just  in-case you run into delays...ie weather, breakdowns, flights overbooked. If you think there might be a problem and you need a refill....bring your original prescription bottles, because the ships Dr. will want to see the containers.

Just confirming what's been said. Using a daily container has never been a problem & and ALWAYS bring a couple extra days worth. Just for peace of mind, I always keep them with me in my carryon.

Welcome to the boards and happy cruising!

In an abundance of caution, I would personally bring the original Rx  bottle for the controlled medication, but not bother about it with the others. This goes double if the controlled medication is an opioid or some other easily abused for non medicinal purposes medication. The last thing you need is overzealous security somewhere acting like you are smuggling something. 

59 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I put mine in Ziploc snack size bags and it's never a problem!  True story....

Just checking, since we will be departing out of Vancouver on the Alaskan cruise about changes in the Canadian laws.  Does that mean you can put ANY “medication” in a ziplock baggie to carry on the ship.?

57 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Just checking, since we will be departing out of Vancouver on the Alaskan cruise about changes in the Canadian laws.  Does that mean you can put ANY “medication” in a ziplock baggie to carry on the ship.?

Wife like to use these.

https://www.amazon.com/Dose-Disposable-Pill-Pouches-count/dp/B001TIOLN4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_bs_lp_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=Y5XSK3SSE2Q2KWJ0VM0G&th=1

I second the vote on controlled meds I take an opiod for a hip injury these types of meds can be looked on differently in different country's Haiti has a particularly strict check from labadee to the ship make sure you can prove they are prescribed its just not worth the head ache

Thank you everyone.  No the controlled medication isnt cannabis.  Its an opioid so I'll bring the original bottle for that, and I have an antianxiety medication as well so that'll also get its original bottle.  Daily pill organizers for everything else.  Several of our medications come in huge bottles so a fair bit of luggage space would have been taken by the pill bottles if we used the original bottles for everything, doubly so if they had to all be in the carry-on.  

This is what I did on our recent cruise in Europe. I bagged each day's medication and labeled it with the date to be taken, but I did not want to take all the bottles. So I took a picture of each bottle with my name on it and the name of the medication. Easy to carry.

7 hours ago, ScooterScott22 said:

I cannot comment on cruises departing out of Vancouver since I have never done so myself.  Nor can I guarantee on ANY medication, just the common ones that I have taken myself.  You might want to look at an official customs site for that information.

I take a host of medications/supplements due to various health conditions, and have them portioned out into pill cases because it makes no sense to carry around all those bottles.  I have not had one problem with using the bottles.  Although a word to the wise if you do have anything that can be classified as "questionable" (opiates, or meds that get sold on the street") I would bring the bottle that way if you are questioned you have some proof.