Jump to content

Any lanyard recommendations?


pabrumm3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Depending on the ship, hole punching may not be an option.  If you are one of the newer ships (Harmony, Symphony, and Quantum class) the cards are RFID cards and you have to take them out to be scanned.  If you're on an older ship, hole-punching works great as @jurrjurr mentioned above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CGTLH said:

Unless it is some funky pouch that is very thick or has some sort of blocking feature. I've never had to remove my card from a basic plastic pouch on those ships.

You could be right...I just assumed that because they were RFID cards they wouldn't work.  I will have to tell the kids to give it a try next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you are one of the newer ships (Harmony, Symphony, and Quantum class) the cards are RFID cards.

So when you're in the port terminal for a Q-class or HM / SY, do they sell lanyards with plastic pouches to put the cards in? If they don't, I may pick up something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cruise-Lanyard-Retractable-Detachable-Waterproof/dp/B074TSGTY2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536325228&sr=8-4&keywords=cruise+card+lanyard+id+holder

Kind of annoying that the lanyard I bought last cruise is basically useless for this one simply because I'm on Anthem with its RFID-type cards. Any chance they sell just the pouches, so I can re-use the lanyard I already have?

Edited by JLMoran
Added final comment/question
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter found a better solution than the lanyard.  We had an internet connection that we used to find each other on the ship so we had our phones with us.  She put her Seapass in a "phone wallet".  I was very jealous.  I tried hard to find a phone wallet for myself, but they didn't have any in the shops on the ship, nor could i find one in port.  If you have your phone with you, the phone wallet is much more convenient than a lanyard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, new to RC said:

My daughter found a better solution than the lanyard.  We had an internet connection that we used to find each other on the ship so we had our phones with us.  She put her Seapass in a "phone wallet".  I was very jealous.  I tried hard to find a phone wallet for myself, but they didn't have any in the shops on the ship, nor could i find one in port.  If you have your phone with you, the phone wallet is much more convenient than a lanyard.

Can definitely be a good alternative, especially since you can leave your credit cards and other stuff in the room safe and just have the SeaPass card in there. Unfortunately in my case, I have a special case on my phone that allows me to mount my add-on camera lenses, and I can't put any other kind of case on it while using that one. And since I'm always taking pics on the ship as well as in port, well... that case pretty much never comes off. So a lanyard (or just keeping my SeaPass in my pocket) is my only option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Any chance they sell just the pouches, so I can re-use the lanyard I already have?

Yup: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6YTKM8

I have a few extras at home. Depending on if they fit in an envelope and a single stamp works I'll mail you a few. Won't have an answer until late Sunday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CGTLH said:

Thanks, @CGTLH. Was thinking if the terminal itself had the kiosk stand with just the pouches, I'd pay whatever premium they were charging so I only had the two I'd need for the missus and me. But then again, if we like Anthem enough to want to bring the kids with us on a follow-up trip (or, you know, a July 2020 CA/NE RCBlog Group Cruise ?), then getting this 10-pack might be the better way to go so everyone is covered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Depending on the ship, hole punching may not be an option.  If you are one of the newer ships (Harmony, Symphony, and Quantum class) the cards are RFID cards and you have to take them out to be scanned.  If you're on an older ship, hole-punching works great as @jurrjurr mentioned above.

I bought this lanyard  from the Tigers store when I was in Detroit this past January which I am intending to use for my Adventure cruise in December. My SeaPass card will get hole punched for sure, but, for my Harmony cruise next year, I'm going to have to get a pouch. Going to have to dig around at home for one, if not there's always the dollar store. ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Can definitely be a good alternative, especially since you can leave your credit cards and other stuff in the room safe and just have the SeaPass card in there. Unfortunately in my case, I have a special case on my phone that allows me to mount my add-on camera lenses, and I can't put any other kind of case on it while using that one. And since I'm always taking pics on the ship as well as in port, well... that case pretty much never comes off. So a lanyard (or just keeping my SeaPass in my pocket) is my only option.

I didn't see any at Cape Liberty (disclaimer we went through super fast) but they do sell them at Terminal 18 at PE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

So when you're in the port terminal for a Q-class or HM / SY, do they sell lanyards with plastic pouches to put the cards in? If they don't, I may pick up something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cruise-Lanyard-Retractable-Detachable-Waterproof/dp/B074TSGTY2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536325228&sr=8-4&keywords=cruise+card+lanyard+id+holder

Kind of annoying that the lanyard I bought last cruise is basically useless for this one simply because I'm on Anthem with its RFID-type cards. Any chance they sell just the pouches, so I can re-use the lanyard I already have?

Forget the SeaPass, use the Wow Band instead! 

After all you only really need the SeaPass to get on/off the ship 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wow - thanks for all of the great ideas!  I like the phone card holder idea - just not sure if it will be hard to get off afterwards,  or if it might ruin the pretty bling I have on my case  ;).  As for the WOW bands, are they available on the Harmony?  We sail in 3 weeks!!! and we haven't been on a ship yet that uses these!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, pabrumm3 said:

wow - thanks for all of the great ideas!  I like the phone card holder idea - just not sure if it will be hard to get off afterwards,  or if it might ruin the pretty bling I have on my case  ;).  As for the WOW bands, are they available on the Harmony?  We sail in 3 weeks!!! and we haven't been on a ship yet that uses these!!

WOW bands are available on Harmony.  They are available in different colors at guest services.  This may not apply to you but if you have kids in Adventure Ocean you can't use the WOW band to pick them up.  You still need your SeaPass.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pabrumm3 said:

wow - thanks for all of the great ideas!  I like the phone card holder idea - just not sure if it will be hard to get off afterwards,  or if it might ruin the pretty bling I have on my case  ;).  As for the WOW bands, are they available on the Harmony?  We sail in 3 weeks!!! and we haven't been on a ship yet that uses these!!

If you are in a JS or above, the WOW bands are included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you are in a JS or above, the WOW bands are included.

Is that also true on Anthem? Granted, after the troubles I heard about here with WOW bands usage at the bars and having to constantly take them off, I'll probably still carry my SeaPass card in a lanyard or at least my pocket, but it will be nice if my JS booking gets me a free pair of WOW bands in the room when we check in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Is that also true on Anthem? Granted, after the troubles I heard about here with WOW bands usage at the bars and having to constantly take them off, I'll probably still carry my SeaPass card in a lanyard or at least my pocket, but it will be nice if my JS booking gets me a free pair of WOW bands in the room when we check in.

It sure is!  We had 4 waiting on our bed in the JS on Anthem in March.  Funny thing is that on Harmony, Hubby said that the WOW band did not work well at all.  He gave up and barely used it after the first few days.  On Anthem, they seemed to work much better and he and kids loved using it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long-time lanyard-wearer for work. Please, please, please get a lanyard that releases from the back of the neck when enough tension is applied. Choke / entanglement issues. Trust me. Same reason that cats should always have a releasing collar.

Wouldn't cruise without one. Found ours at the port (Port Canaveral) after check-in and before the boat. Georgia Tech, to be exact. Wife's Alma Mater.

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MrB said:

Long-time lanyard-wearer for work. Please, please, please get a lanyard that releases from the back of the neck when enough tension is applied. Choke / entanglement issues. Trust me. Same reason that cats should always have a releasing collar.

Wouldn't cruise without one. Found ours at the port (Port Canaveral) after check-in and before the boat. Georgia Tech, to be exact. Wife's Alma Mater.

Tom

I too wear a release lanyard at work. Where would you see a release being needed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PrincipalTinker said:

I too wear a release lanyard at work. Where would you see a release being needed?

At this point, anywhere I wear a lanyard. There is just enough weight in that card  to swing it into very strange places. Handrails and bannisters, for some reason, can be an issue for me.

At work, I have had issues with the lanyard getting caught up in computer cabling. Nasty, if no release. A couple of head-snapping, where-do you-think-you-are-going incidents that were saved from being worse by the release. Ladder + cabling + needing ID card out at all time  = releasing lanyard. But I digress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2018 at 10:00 AM, JLMoran said:

Thanks, @CGTLH. Was thinking if the terminal itself had the kiosk stand with just the pouches, I'd pay whatever premium they were charging so I only had the two I'd need for the missus and me. But then again, if we like Anthem enough to want to bring the kids with us on a follow-up trip (or, you know, a July 2020 CA/NE RCBlog Group Cruise ?), then getting this 10-pack might be the better way to go so everyone is covered.

On 9/7/2018 at 9:55 AM, CGTLH said:

I have a few extras at home. Depending on if they fit in an envelope and a single stamp works I'll mail you a few. Won't have an answer until late Sunday.

Just got home a did a weight check. Could mail four of the pouches in a standard envelope with one stamp. If you are interested I'll be more than happy to mail some at no cost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Just got home a did a weight check. Could mail four of the pouches in a standard envelope with one stamp. If you are interested I'll be more than happy to mail some at no cost.

@CGTLH, thanks so much for that! I've PM'ed you with my address. Just double-check that you don't need any of those spares from the ones you already used getting worn / torn where the lanyard hook goes.

This is why I love this community and I'm so glad I found it. The willingness of folks to help out in a multitude of ways never ceases to "surprise and delight" (to borrow an Apple marketing phrase). ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Just double-check that you don't need any of those spares from the ones you already used getting worn / torn where the lanyard hook goes.

Don't worry got plenty of them. Normally the part that ends up breaking is the zipper seal after opening it a few times. Good thing is once the card is in the pouch it never needs to come out.

Got your info, will mail them out tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...