CraftyCat05

Med. Symphony B2B - July 24th to August 12th

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I was hoping you were more efficient than I.  Phew!

It's easier when solo...

Guess it depends on how you do it... I'll force hubby to do all photo related tasks and only do the writing 😈 Gotta give something back to the board that answered all my stupid newbie questions... and caused hubby to spend €€€€ on a camera, equipment and photo seminars for both of us to make good use of it... I'm looking at you Twangster 🤣

2 hours ago, CraftyCat05 said:

The Sickest of Cruisers

a lot has happened since my last update! Let’s start:

-I have a cold (or something)

-I had to cancel our Rome plans

-I have some medication to help

-This vacation isn’t planning out to what it was supposed to be!

Hope you get well soon!  💉 Maybe you can do Rome the 2nd time around? Would be a pity to miss it, but going there while sick doesn't sound enjoyable either, especially if the weather is anything like Germany.

Omygoodness--- I didn't see the post where you said you were sick. If you can maybe get meds? My friend went when we were on and it cost about $175. He was better in days. My other friend and I got something and we did not get meds...we felt better after 2 weeks. 

I hope it passes!

The Barcelona Update

So... i'm back! And better than.... well Rome. So there's been a change of plans for how this blog is going to work now with me getting over the cold and with me just having too much fun! 

The Plan 2.0

I plan to do little highlights of my day and post a few pictures from my day. This will also include the days I haven't updated you on (marseille) to today (Barcelona).

I will then post a comprehensive part review of my trip and all other things once a get home. I will be starting some things when I get back though, so this could be pushed til Christmas (😈).

The Barcelona Initiative  

We plan to get off the ship today! This is either going to go very bad, or go very well.

We got tickets to Sagrada Familla after not seeing it while in Barcelona, and now we are very happy! Will send some pictures of the amazing architecture. 

The Plan for Week2

Day 1 - Dinner at Izumi still, except above

Day 2 - Drach Caves still, dinner at Jamie's Italian

Day 3 - Biking cancelled due to weather and health of myself, dinner at Wonderland

Day 4 - On waitlist for Carrara Marble Tour by Jeep, dinner at 150 Central Park

Day 5 - Exclusive: Best of Rome from last week rebooked to this week

Day 6 - Amalfi Coast and Pompeii by Land and Sea rebooked to this week

Day 7 - Dinner at Hooked

Also, it's past Barcelona... oops

EDIT: Fixed to plan to what we are now planning to do. Didn't change it before I posted this. oops

Very very glad you have rejoined the land of the living so to speak. 

I’m looking forward to your blogs as we will be on the Jewel in October doing an extended itinerary of your cruise. 

I do have a question you can probably answer now. I have read The passengers will be mostly Europeans and the dress onboard will be more formal or dressier than we Americans are used to. Yes or no?

Also is the VAT added to excursion purchases onboard or are they included in the published price?

Hope all goes well from here on in  🤧🤧

4 hours ago, Mljstr said:

I do have a question you can probably answer now. I have read The passengers will be mostly Europeans and the dress onboard will be more formal or dressier than we Americans are used to. Yes or no?

I remember reading back in 2016, when I went on the Harmony Med cruise about the dress, I first ran in to the reading when I was researching the hazards being in the ports with the gypsies and pick pockets, they basically said to lessen your chance of being picked out of a crowd by a thief to dress more like a European than an American, I can only give you a mans perspective because that is all I read.

They may no be any more formal than anyone else, but they may wear a pair of nice black jeans instead of blue jeans with a nice button down shirt, no polo or golf shirts, usually with a light jacket to top it off, casual loafers.

On shore, no ball caps, no tennis shoes, no t-shirts, shorts are nice linen or linen pants with a linen button down shirt.

I encourage you to read, the gypsies were especially interesting reading on their ploys...

3 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I remember reading back in 2016, when I went on the Harmony Med cruise about the dress, I first ran in to the reading when I was researching the hazards being in the ports with the gypsies and pick pockets, they basically said to lessen your chance of being picked out of a crowd by a thief to dress more like a European than an American, I can only give you a mans perspective because that is all I read.

They may no be any more formal than anyone else, but they may wear a pair of nice black jeans instead of blue jeans with a nice button down shirt, no polo or golf shirts, usually with a light jacket to top it off, casual loafers.

On shore, no ball caps, no tennis shoes, no t-shirts, shorts are nice linen or linen pants with a linen button down shirt.

I encourage you to read, the gypsies were especially interesting reading on their ploys...

Thanks I will!  I’ve read about pickpockets but not much about gypsies and dress. I will definitely research it. 

17 hours ago, Mljstr said:

Very very glad you have rejoined the land of the living so to speak. 

I’m looking forward to your blogs as we will be on the Jewel in October doing an extended itinerary of your cruise. 

Also is the VAT added to excursion purchases onboard or are they included in the published price?

Hope all goes well from here on in  🤧🤧

I can't say it better than @tiny260 did at the moment, but haven't really noticed a change in clothing style between the Americans and Europeans, except on formal nights. They certainly go more all out on those!

VAT is added after, and not included in the price like it is in other parts of Europe. This is Royal Caribbean, a American cruise line after all! Good questions!

Thanks for all of the well wishes Mljstr and Guy Gadwa! 

Palma Highlight

We did the Drach Caves, and man were they amazing! Really cool to see what was formed all those years ago. 

IMG_9165.thumb.JPG.2b5a3e8a47d379ed85937d5cf624502c.JPG

On the ship, we got some sliders and potato skins at Playmakers for lunch... and it was really good! Probably one of my favorite lunch meals we have had on the ship, but we really haven't had much of those. I think it really is a great addition to the ship, adding to the overall feel of the boardwalk and the lunch options. (Didn't get any pictures though, just imagine some really good food!)

Then it was time for Wonderland ~ Imaginative Cuisine... And boy was it a trip down the rabbit hole! The food was pretty good, but you really are just there for the experience, right? The mad hatter really adds to the experience, making it all the more fun and entertaining. Looking back at it, it wasn't a dinner... it was a show! 

Will do another post about Wonderland with pictures at a later date.

Afterwards, we went to look at some watches (we can fantasize!) and then called it a night... Got to get ready for the 80s party the next day!

Hope this is still fine for the blog, may not be as extensive, but it's something! Chao Chao for now! 

Do you think you can scope from 80's night? Would love to relive it. Don't know if you did it last week but I really loved it. Maybe it is my inner Cruise Director though. :4_joy:

Enjoy whatever you are doing in Marseilles today. I stayed on the ship for Week 2.

3 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Do you think you can scope from 80's night? Would love to relive it. Don't know if you did it last week but I really loved it. Maybe it is my inner Cruise Director though. :4_joy:

Enjoy whatever you are doing in Marseilles today. I stayed on the ship for Week 2.

Will definitely try to scope the 80s night. Didn't do the party last week because we were all tired, but hope to love it this week!

We stayed on the ship and enjoyed the upper decks. Waterslides, Suite Deck, Drinks, Pools, and More!™️

Just now, CraftyCat05 said:

Will definitely try to scope the 80s night. Didn't do the party last week because we were all tired, but hope to love it this week!

We stayed on the ship and enjoyed the upper decks. Waterslides, Suite Deck, Drinks, Pools, and More!™️

What was your favorite slide?

Just now, CraftyCat05 said:

(Trying to write this is such a pain with the sticky key...) Blue! Green is fun, but find the blue to be more thrilling. How aout you?

Blue was great. I regret only doing it once. On HM, it was actually really slow. I loved the green/champagne bowl one. The yellow one was a bit slow.

Just now, Joe01 said:

Blue was great. I regret only doing it once. On HM, it was actually really slow. I loved the green/champagne bowl one. The yellow one was a bit slow.

Aww man... I rode it a bunch for you today! Yellow is slower, but can get fast if you really get a good start. Lots of screaming from the green tube today! Had to give a little yell for the crowd in there, really echos!

42 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

@Joe01 80s Party is starting, periscope in a quick minute!

Thanks for scoping it. Was having my own silent party in the house.

What did you think? Good theme night? It's a new theme night so I'm sure Royal are eager to hear opinions. 

Just now, Joe01 said:

Thanks for scoping it. Was having my own silent party in the house.

What did you think? Good theme night? It's a new theme night so I'm sure Royal are eager to hear opinions. 

Glad you enjoyed it!

I thought it was great! The crowd was really high energy, definitely more so than the balloon party last week, but different kinds things huh? I think it definitely appeals to the younger generation, saw lots of kids/teens and young adults dancing and knowing the music more than other themed party nights. The cruise director staff really makes or breaks it, and the staff on this cruise definitely made it. 

Thought it was definitely more elaborate than the other years themed nights, with the other stage, (don’t remember that on Allure, but was probably there) and the car thing. 

What did you think when you saw it a few weeks back? Same thoughts or different.

Now, if you have no idea what me and Joe are talking about, watch the party replays on my periscope! @CraftyCat05 

Also did some sail always recently, go check them out!

8 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

Glad you enjoyed it!

I thought it was great! The crowd was really high energy, definitely more so than the balloon party last week, but different kinds things huh? I think it definitely appeals to the younger generation, saw lots of kids/teens and young adults dancing and knowing the music more than other themed party nights. The cruise director staff really makes or breaks it, and the staff on this cruise definitely made it. 

Thought it was definitely more elaborate than the other years themed nights, with the other stage, (don’t remember that on Allure, but was probably there) and the car thing. 

What did you think when you saw it a few weeks back? Same thoughts or different.

Now, if you have no idea what me and Joe are talking about, watch the party replays on my periscope! @CraftyCat05 

Also did some sail always recently, go check them out!

I wasn't alive in the 80's and also knew most of the songs. It is a good balance as it is 'hip' and high-energy enough for a young demographic, but equally retro enough for a middle aged demographic. Maybe not for the oldies though. 

Definitely had a lot of production. The cameos from PacMan alongside the number from the Hairspray professional dancers (who are insanely talented) just add that little bit extra. The Staff certainly did a great job getting people involved and it seemed the same on your scope. Some guests were shy and didn't dance on my cruise. More active on the 2nd than 1st week. Overall, it is a job well done. I just worry that this party won't be good when Michele is replaced in Sept (won't say any more to avoid going off-topic).

On AL, it was the 70's. Great show but time to do something else. I think the 80's is a good replacement. I liked the 90's on HM as well, but some curmudgeons made complaints when she arrived in the USA so they didn't transfer it to other ships. It didn't have as much production, but the idea and songs were there.

13 hours ago, CraftyCat05 said:

This is Royal Caribbean, a American cruise line after all! 

Wasnt RCI formed in Norway in 1968 when 3 norwegian companies merged? 

@CraftyCat05--great job with the blog and scoping--thanks and happy you are feeling better, Carson.

Question for you and/or @Joe01 : When on Adventure of the Seas the 70's Show was presented from a bridge that spans the width of the Royal Promenade. As crowded as it was, everyone could see (although you had to look up). It did not appear that Symphony has a bridge like that (or the show wasn't done from there if there is one). How high was the stage---you obviously had a decent viewpoint, but was it really possible for everyone to see? How long before the show did you get there to secure your spot? Curious minds want to know!

3 minutes ago, Skid said:

@CraftyCat05Question for you and/or @Joe01 : When on Adventure of the Seas the 70's Show was presented from bridge that spans the width of the Royal Promenade. As crowded as it was, everyone could see (although you had to look up). It did not appear that Symphony has a bridge like that (or the show wasn't done from there if there is one). How high was the stage---you obviously had a decent viewpoint, but was it really possible for everyone to see? How long before the show did you get there to secure your spot? Curious minds want to know!

Oasis Class don't have the same Promenade design as Adventure as it is nearly twice as wide. Oasis and Allure have a bridge which is usually folded up but comes out for 70's night (doesn't span the width though) however HM & SY don't. They put a stage (about 2ft high, just enough to see the performers from a distance) in the middle of the Promenade between the handbags store and Cafe Promenade alongside using the stage directly above the Royal Caribbean merchandise store. 

Not everyone will be able to see, but if you are in the Aft half of the Promenade, you should see. The stage above the merchandise store is angled appropriately that you can see what is happening. I got there early, but I think you can stroll in just as it begins. Busy but still plenty of space.