Perfect Day at Coco Cay = Nickle & Dime??

I think part of the issue is that people are expressing is that Coco Cay was for the most part "free" up to a cpl years ago.

Yes there was a "slide" you could pay for but other than that, really nothing. it was so peaceful and quiet and about the only place you could go on a Royal Caribbean cruise that had the feeling and atmosphere of a deserted island or oasis. Labadee always felt busier and louder and more like a port stop than a beach stop right from the beginning I believe, whereas Coco Cay did not. So I think some of this resistance stems from losing that one last place of peaceful quiet seclusion. I enjoy theme parks, but they are not relaxing

...and lets be honest. Its a slipperly slope...for "now" you may be able to still sit on ONE section of beach for free and eat and drink with your drink package for no extra cost but I don't think anyone really honestly believes its going to stay that way. So while for now there is still a limited option for that, Royal will be converting that in the near future I am sure.

As for the cost, you cant compare this to Disney or Atlantis and say well its cheaper, cause its not either of those at all. And no one would  expect it to be, nor would they expect to pay those kinda prices. But these are just "try em out" prices I believe. Within a cpl years I expect them to be much higher. If they can raise a soda package by 20% for no reason or extra benefit..you can be sure this will happen here as well.

I wish they had done all this at Labadee......and left coco cay as is for the most part. It was great the way it was and it seems many out there feel that way about it.

Just noticed the official pricing is out......the prices we were discussing here are the base prices..if you look, its up to double that cost based on the season....?????

So could be a 100% jump in price already for what people here have been saying and justifying as reasonable....

Unless I am wrong, someone can point me differently..

Some people enjoyed the deserted island feel of Coco Cay but others found it boring with nothing to do.  Some people are not beach people who can waste a day lying on a lounger.  The. Entire. Freaking. Day. 

I'm not sure where the prediction that a free beach day will be taken away in the future.  I just don't see that happening, ever.  That would amount to being charged just to step onto the pier and I don't see that ever happening.

Pricing will be driven by supply and demand.   If 99% of an Oasis class ship buys the all day water park pass,  they will raise the price.  If they set prices too high and not enough people buy it, there will be frequent sales or it will be offered at a lower price.  They prepared a business model to sell this to the board.  They ran pricing predictions and cost modeling.  It's a for profit business with shareholders they answer to. 

Some people just don't like change.  I see that as choice.  Now I can choose to do more on one visit, less on another, much like my Labadee strategy now.

Agree to disagree..I wil save this post for future reference...... ;)

Already we see a price range of over double for some activities..I think it will at some point become a cost to use the island period. Why wouldn't they do that.....like @twangster said some people find it so boring to lie there all day..so those ppl can stay on the ship and those that want to use the island can for a fee.....

With everything else that has become a fee with Royal...you can't persuade me that its not a possibility.

Right now there is a cost to use the island.  There always has been.  You don't see it, it is contained within your cruise fare. 

The island has never been 'free' just like meals are not 'free' and entertainment is not 'free'.  They are included in your cruise fare.

Using your logic, why stop at Coco Cay?  "Welcome to Cozumel!  $100 to leave the ship please" - I never see that happening. 

Coco Cay will be remain the same.  Included in your cruise fare for those activities that are complimentary. 

It would be disastrous PR to deliver guests to any pier then charge a fee to step off the ship.  Imagine how the competition would gobble that up and use it against them. 

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Right now there is a cost to use the island.  There always has been.  You don't see it, it is contained within your cruise fare. 

The island has never been 'free' just like meals are not 'free' and entertainment is not 'free'.  They are included in your cruise fare.

Using your logic, why stop at Coco Cay?  "Welcome to Cozumel!  $100 to leave the ship please" - I never see that happening. 

Coco Cay will be remain the same.  Included in your cruise fare for those activities that are complimentary. 

It would be disastrous PR to deliver guests to any pier then charge a fee to step off the ship.  Imagine how the competition would gobble that up and use it against them. 

Well said! Actually after seeing Matt's post I was impressed with the number of things that are included as far as the new additions go - for example complementary Snack Shacks around the island seem like a good addition so you can still find something outside of the 2 hour lunch window. 

So I'm a few days late to this party but I'm going to add my .02 as I think my family of 6 is who RC is trying to appeal to with this Perfect Day water park.

First, the pricing on the low end is what I'd expect and would be willing to pay.  I don't really think it is any different than Labadee.  I pay for a "cheaper" bungalow, zip line. The price for a day in Labadee is more than I would have originally expected to pay for a private island.  Yes, I could make it cheaper but we do the things my that are worth it for my family. 

Looking at the Coco Cay, the low side is what I'd like to pay for any excursion but I typically pay more as snorkeling tours can cost $120 pp plus tip. I'd be willing to pay for a waterpark cabana on the lower side but seeing as we usually travel during peak times like spring break so I'd expect it to be more. That may make me pause but I'd still probably pay the higher prices as that is what my family would like to do.  

I do see a lot of free things to do too but we aren't the quiet just sit on the beach family.  

Given that these cruises also go to Nassau, I'd probably not get off the ship there.  

Like Kayla, I am not a huge water park person, but I appreciate that Royal Caribbean is revitalizing CocoCay and offering more options to their guests. Can't wait to see the renovations!

I will be visiting CocoCay in December 2019 on my Harmony cruise and am looking forward to parking my big fat Canadian butt on the beach ? Nothing to do but swim, snorkel (with my own gear), read, relax, eat the cruise fare inclusive buffet, and take a billion photos!

2 hours ago, Hockeyman55 said:

I for one am excited for this expansion but im also a huge waterpark fan and am planning our next cruise to make sure this is one of our stops ?. I was actually pretty surprised the all day pass wis only $44, when you compare to most other waterparks that charge $50-$60 its not that bad.

Yes but keep in mind that $44 only gets you 6-7 hours max. You could get at least 12 hours in those other water parks.

19 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Yes but keep in mind that $44 only gets you 6-7 hours max. You could get at least 12 hours in those other water parks.

Yes very true but one big benefit is the savings we would get on food. It costs the 5 of us $50-$60 on for lunch easily at the waterparks, possibly even more if we are at Disney or Universal. And then add on additional $10-$20 for parking depending where you are headed. So i can justify spending the $44 and feel like we got our moneys worth. 

8 hours ago, Hockeyman55 said:

Yes very true but one big benefit is the savings we would get on food. It costs the 5 of us $50-$60 on for lunch easily at the waterparks, possibly even more if we are at Disney or Universal. And then add on additional $10-$20 for parking depending where you are headed. So i can justify spending the $44 and feel like we got our moneys worth. 

Food is already included with coco cay so nothing really gained or lost there. While I don’t think $44 is outrageous, I will be interested to see how long the lines will be. If I have to wait an hour to ride a water slide count me out.