Adventure (and probably other Voyager class) hints, tips, hacks, and observations

bcarney

If you like craft beer from bottles, go into the pub (Duck and Dog on Adventure) and go all the way to the bar. Look to the right and you will see a little hallway that goes to a staff area.  Look down that hallway, and on the left will be a chalkboard with the names of all the off-menu beers available on that sailing.  Note, however, that many won’t be available on the first night, as luggage has distribution priority over the beer.  I managed to enjoy Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA several times during the sailing (though it did run out by Thursday).

IMG_1904.jpg

Last year when we sailed, Voom had a problem where you had to log in every single time you used your device.  They’ve since fixed that issue.  The internet is still incredibly slow, though; I wasn’t able to watch any Periscopes or Facebook Live videos onboard, at any location.

EDIT: Wifi calling did not work either; I tried calling my parents to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving, and was unsuccessful in having an audible call.

IMG_1909.jpg

Like Indian food?  Ask your waiter for it in the MDR.  They’ll provide a vegetarian and non-veg dish – or more likely both.  If you are in the Windjammer for dinner, go all the way to the back of the line, and there will be several Indian options each night.  The two nights we ate there, they had four dishes to choose from, including a veg curry, Dal, fish curry, pork curry, pappadam, raita, and a few chutneys. . All were great!  Another night I had a butter chicken that may have been the best I’ve ever had.

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Martinique.  Save your money and make it a beach day.  Leave the ship, hang a right, and walk down to the ferries.  Ask them for the one with the beaches, and take that for $7/pp round trip.  Skip the first stop and get off at the second one, the beach looked a lot nicer there.  We got off at the first stop.  It was just OK, but the kids loved it.

IMG_1193.JPG

Thanks, and keep those tips coming!  We sail Adventure in May 2018, and last time we were on this class was Explorer in 2010.  Long time ago for this class and I'm sure a lot will be different than what we are remembering.  We have a different itinerary as she'll be sailing from NJ then, but I'm loving all the ship tips!  Can't wait for her upcoming refurb to see what else will be completed.  We will definitely be looking at that beer board! 

I'll be back later to ask questions; I'm at work and do't have my cruise folder with me.  I know, I know, I should carry it at all times, right?! 

4 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

What no cruise folder?? Hey at least no smoking computers!! LOL:4_joy:

I actually carry it to work most days, LOL.  I am only here 4 hours today, so I just carried a small lunch bag instead of my regular tote.  If I had know my boss would be out of the office all day, I'd have brought it. 

22 minutes ago, KathyC said:

I'll be back later to ask questions; I'm at work and do't have my cruise folder with me.  I know, I know, I should carry it at all times, right?! 

I use Microsoft's OneNote on all my devices so I have it with me at all times. :)

20 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Here is one I just thought of, when replying in another thread.  Does Adventure have Freestyle machines? 

Yes, there is a pair in the promenade, and another near the Windjammer.  There may be more, those are just the two pairs that I noticed.

Just now, bcarney said:

Yes, there is a pair in the promenade, and another near the Windjammer.  There may be more, those are just the two pairs that I noticed.

Thanks!  We got the sold package for our 18 yr old that doesn't drink soda.  Was hoping they had the machines so he could get other options.  This will be our big money waster of the trip, he'll most likely not use them as he pretty much only drinks water and lemonade, but the bundle with Voom was worth it. 

7 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

It's a good thing you didn't know, you'd be booking more cruises!! LOL

I wish I could!  Waiting impatiently for 2019 Bermuda sailings to be announced next week, and also for Ovation Alaska 2020 whenever that will be.  Then we're done.  Unless Matt plans an awesome group cruise that fits in with our kinda picky work schedules.  :D 

3 minutes ago, bcarney said:

I use Microsoft's OneNote on all my devices so I have it with me at all times. :)

9 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

It's a good thing you didn't know, you'd be booking more cruises!! LOL

I am old school; I carry paper files, I hand write my notes and lists & I also read books - hate staring at monitors/screens.  I need to feel the paper and pen in my hands...

One a side note, I am proud to say i just figured out how to multi-quote!  LOL  

1 hour ago, bcarney said:

the assistant waiters no longer come around with a tray of bread for you to select from.  Dinner starts with bread already on the table, consisting of a couple of rolls and no savory bites.

BOOOO! That sucks big time. Guess you better be the first one at you're dinner seating or don't plan on getting some savory bites!:40_rage:

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

I am old school; I carry paper files, I hand write my notes and lists & I also read books - hate staring at monitors/screens.  I need to feel the paper and pen in my hands...

One a side note, I am proud to say i just figured out how to multi-quote!  LOL  

1 hour ago, bcarney said:

Kathy, I use OneNote for everything too like @bcarney.  I started using it in the classroom and then thought to myself what a great way to keep track of all my vacations and ideas and always have it on me.  It is unbelievably convenient and user friendly.  It is the best filing system for all things cruise related ? but you do need a device so it might be a fire hazard for you ?

3 hours ago, bcarney said:

2 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I use OneNote for everything too like @bcarney.

Since I'm a Mac / iPhone guy, I use the included Notes app for a lot of my cruise notes. The integrated cloud sync is great, keeps everything the same on all devices with no hassle. But I may take a look again at OneNote and see how it compares features-wise. Apple's Notes app has come a long way from its super-basic beginnings.

22 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Since I'm a Mac / iPhone guy, I use the included Notes app for a lot of my cruise notes. The integrated cloud sync is great, keeps everything the same on all devices with no hassle. But I may take a look again at OneNote and see how it compares features-wise. Apple's Notes app has come a long way from its super-basic beginnings.

I'm the same, but I also use Windows machines.  I also like that if necessary I can view my OneNotes via a web browser.  (I also don't trust Apple's ability to run cloud services well, but that's another discussion).

Music:  This was a southern Caribbean cruise, but all the music in public spaces was pop-slop from the last 24 months.  I wish they'd play some local music, at least at times, to bring you into the local culture.  Taylor Swift and Katy Perry 24/7 was like walking around a Target or Walmart.

Boleros played Latin music, including one live tune that had everyone in the area singing along with.  It was a song where part of the refrain was the music Auld Lang Syne, but it wasn't the entirety of the song.  I wish I knew what it was because it meant to much to everyone there.  It was a moving experience.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I like that OneNote I can use on my PC, iPhone, iPad and it's all synced. My devices are all apple but my laptop is not so I find OneNote works best on all my devices. But like I said, I started using it in the classroom a few years ago as a way to go virtually paperless and that gave me the idea. I use to keep binders and folders too of all my vacation details but this is way better.

6 hours ago, bcarney said:

On the 'corporate cutbacks' end of things, the assistant waiters no longer come around with a tray of bread for you to select from.  Dinner starts with bread already on the table, consisting of a couple of rolls and no savory bites.

Ok, I posted my dissatisfaction with this before. Is this going to be a fleet wide change? I hope like hell not! I can just see a couple of blue hairs getting into it with crossed canes over the last roll or savory bite.  Brings a whole new meaning to Royals "Wow" slogan! :51_scream::51_scream:

Disembarkation in San Juan:  For background, our flight wasn't until 2:20pm, so we were in no rush to get to the airport.  We were assigned to group #15, but we lingered at our waiting area in the MDR until it was suggested we should leave.  Getting off the ship and finding our luggage took less than 5 minutes, as most of the luggage in our group was taken already.  After seeing huge lines getting through customs, we flagged down a porter since we've use them in the past and had faster service with them.  He put the luggage on the cart and looked over to the porter line which was kind of long as well, and said follow me.  He took us to the Pinnacle/Consecutive Sailing area, spoke to the RC guy there for a moment, and was let through.  We got to the customs guy who quickly took our form, and without really looking at it stamped it, and we were off to the taxis.  We were on our way to the airport in less than 10 minutes from leaving the dining room.

The lesson here is GET A PORTER.  It's worth the tip.

On 11/29/2017 at 12:31 PM, bcarney said:

Last year when we sailed, Voom had a problem where you had to log in every single time you used your device.  They’ve since fixed that issue.  The internet is still incredibly slow, though; I wasn’t able to watch any Periscopes or Facebook Live videos onboard, at any location.

EDIT: Wifi calling did not work either; I tried calling my parents to wish them a Happy Thanksgiving, and was unsuccessful in having an audible call.

IMG_1909.jpg

I'm hoping that it gets upgraded during the refurb; I plan on scoping AND I'm getting a hamster for Christmas and want to use it! 

On 11/29/2017 at 11:33 AM, bcarney said:

If you are a rum drinker, go to Bolero’s, and they have a decent selection there, including Zafra 21 and Atlantico, among others.  They also had Selvarey Cacao rum which was an interesting treat.

IMG_1866.jpg

So I'm truly determined to widen my drink sampling from frozen Miami vices lol.  What would this be good mixed with?  It sounds great!   Jane

Okay finally found my question sheet.  Do you still have the compasses?  We're curious if there are any activities listed for the "young adults."  We've seen it listed as Club 18-20, as 18-23, and 18-25+.  The activities are usually listed in the regular compasses, no special teen page, and usually in the evenings activity section.  We're taking our 18 & 20 yr old with us next May and while they are not disappointed that they are too old for the teen program they are wondering if there is anything listed for the college set.  I've seen in on some compasses, but not others.  I'm wondering if it's not a seasonal type of thing, they pop up when the college set is more likely to sail as opposed to during a semester.  So I'm looking to add data to my research.  :D

My husband wants to know if the golf simulator is still there?  He was reading something online somewhere and it said it was still there, but I thought those were long gone.

Thanks! 

On 12/1/2017 at 9:32 AM, KathyC said:

Okay finally found my question sheet.  Do you still have the compasses?  We're curious if there are any activities listed for the "young adults."  We've seen it listed as Club 18-20, as 18-23, and 18-25+.  The activities are usually listed in the regular compasses, no special teen page, and usually in the evenings activity section.

My husband wants to know if the golf simulator is still there?  He was reading something online somewhere and it said it was still there, but I thought those were long gone.

There wasn't anything specifically marked as being for young adults; everything was all listed in one section.

The golf sim is ancient history - it was removed during or prior to the last refurb in 2016 (the flow rider and big waterslides are there now), and IIRC it was non-functional during my Jan 2010 cruise.

11 hours ago, bcarney said:

There wasn't anything specifically marked as being for young adults; everything was all listed in one section.

The golf sim is ancient history - it was removed during or prior to the last refurb in 2016 (the flow rider and big waterslides are there now), and IIRC it was non-functional during my Jan 2010 cruise.

Thanks! I've seen it as just another listing under the evening activities in some compasses.  I'm sure they will find someone besides us old folks (and each other) to hang with that week.