Going from Port Canaveral to Fort Lauderdale S2S

Looking for advice from the Florida natives here like @tonyfsu21 @Matt @OCSC Mike @WAAAYTOOO @AshleyDilloor anyone who has done this before.

At the end of July, Hubby and I are doing a S2S. We are going from Adventure of the Seas (PC) to the Celebrity Reflection (PE) on a Friday morning. At the moment, our plan is to leave Adventure as early as possible and do self-disembark at around 6:30/7am. We rented a car at Enterprise on Mullet Road because they open at 7am and we're planning to drive ourselves to Fort Lauderdale to board Refelction that very same day. Is this a good plan?

I thought it was until someone recently asked the same type of question in a FB group. Then people started to bring up traffic (which I have not much knowledge of). Someone suggested Brightline but that seems like a lot of hassle to me (we would need to Uber our way back to Orlando, take the train to the Fort Lauderdale station, and Uber again to the port).

Any ideas/suggestions/better plan?

I'm only responding so you don't think I'm ignoring you. Given how many times you've seen me mention that I have no desire to drive to South Florida, you probably know I can't help a ton based on experience. I've sailed from PE twice in 22 years... once was for my honeymoon almost 22 years ago and we stayed at my SIL's then apartment in FTL the night before and once a decade ago when I wasn't the one driving but we left my house the morning of the cruise.

All that said, I did look into Brightline and I agree it would be a huge hassle (but I'm no expert). As for the traffic, what specifically was their concern on FB? Yes, it's an awful ride, there will be traffic, and FL drivers are terrible... but if you self-disembark Adventure ASAP and go get your rental even by say 8am, that gives you like 7 hours to get to PE assuming all aboard Celebrity is 3:30 or whatever.

If I plug in PC to PE right now, Google Maps says it takes 3 hours, 25 minutes. It's not apples to apples since it's currently a Friday afternoon but that leaves hours of wiggle room. Logically, I would think it would take way more than any sort of standard bad traffic to keep you from making it. A 3+ hour delay should only be caused by some sort of major car accident that shuts down part of I-95 in my mind.

Hopefully others have more first hand experience.

Sabrina, I think your plan is sound.  I say this without ever trying BrightLine but I completely agree that, while the train sounds like it would be fun, it’s waaay more hassle than it would worth - to me - I think.

We make the trek south fairly often on a weekday.  We’ve never gone all the way from PC to PE but it’s a straight shot south (once you get on I95 S) and the trip from PC to my house is a boring and simple drive.  Nothing short of an emergency situation would impact that part of the trip.  Going to PE on a weekday morning is waaay easier than going to PoM on a weekday.  That last 45 minutes from Fort Lauderdale to Miami is a mess….and you’re avoiding that.  I think your plan is the best you can do and I say, go for it !  Yes, traffic will start to get heavy around Jupiter (just south of me), but as I said before, you will miss the REALLY bad traffic by stopping in Fort Lauderdale.

Sounds like a fun S2S.

Insider tip:  Be sure to have your Set Sail Passes and ID in the car with you (not in the trunk).  You will have to through a security stop on your way in to the port.  It’s the only FL port (that I am aware of) that has such a security stop.  

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

People were mentioning traffic congestion on the I95. But seeing that we would make that drive well before noon, I wasn’t sure if that would be a concern.

I'm sure traffic congestion is a legit concern but do they think it will make the ride take 7+ hours? That's the part that has me confused, just from a logic standpoint.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sounds like a fun S2S.

I am pretty excited for it! It’s our first S2S ever. 

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Insider tip:  Be sure to have your Set Sail Passes and ID in the car with you (not in the trunk).  You will have to through a security stop on your way in to the port.  It’s the only FL port (that I am aware of) that has such a security stop.  

I forgot to mention that we would be dropping off the rental car at FLL (airport) and Ubering our way to PE. 

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm sure traffic congestion is a legit concern but do they think it will make the ride take 7+ hours? That's the part that has me confused, just from a logic standpoint.

I don’t think they were saying that it would cause someone to miss the ship, but they were comparing it to Brightline possibly being faster if one got stuck in traffic. 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

People were mentioning traffic congestion on the I95. But seeing that we would make that drive well before noon, I wasn’t sure if that would be a concern.

Frankly, traffic in that area is always an issue.  Once you pass Jupiter, and then WPB, the traffic is…bad.  If you get off the ship and are on your way by 8:00 (which would be doing VERY well), you will hit the major traffic snarls around 11:00 so the morning “rush” should have subsided.  It’s still going to be busy, but not like at 7-8 AM.

Renting a car is probably the most straight forward plan, especially since you're already on the coast, so going "backwards" to Orlando to pick up the train isn't ideal. 

The advantage of Brightline is you dont have to drive and you don't have to worry about traffic, accidents, or weather slowing you down. if you feel comfortable driving yourself, renting the car will probably be the fastest option.

23 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I-95 traffic on a Friday morning is typically bad from Boca all the way to Miami.

You can also jump on the turnpike in Ft. Pierce for a second option down to FLL but no guarantees the traffic will be any better.

The Brightline is great! The only hassle would be getting to a station. We use the West Palm station a lot when we go down to Ft. Laudy or Miami.

52 minutes ago, Humm45 said:

I-95 traffic on a Friday morning is typically bad from Boca all the way to Miami.

You can also jump on the turnpike in Ft. Pierce for a second option down to FLL but no guarantees the traffic will be any better.

Thanks for the tip. I supposed that would be a game time decision on that day. Once we start driving we can take a look a traffic and see which option is better.

On 3/1/2024 at 2:42 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Looking for advice from the Florida natives here like @tonyfsu21 @Matt @OCSC Mike @WAAAYTOOO @AshleyDilloor anyone who has done this before.

At the end of July, Hubby and I are doing a S2S. We are going from Adventure of the Seas (PC) to the Celebrity Reflection (PE) on a Friday morning. At the moment, our plan is to leave Adventure as early as possible and do self-disembark at around 6:30/7am. We rented a car at Enterprise on Mullet Road because they open at 7am and we're planning to drive ourselves to Fort Lauderdale to board Refelction that very same day. Is this a good plan?

I thought it was until someone recently asked the same type of question in a FB group. Then people started to bring up traffic (which I have not much knowledge of). Someone suggested Brightline but that seems like a lot of hassle to me (we would need to Uber our way back to Orlando, take the train to the Fort Lauderdale station, and Uber again to the port).

This can easily be done provided everything goes right with Adventures arrival at PC. I am not very familiar with Westbound traffic on the Beeline Friday mornings but once you connect to I-95 South it’s smooth sailing. The remainder of the drive South should be uneventful. Be cautious of major traffic accidents impacting I-95 and exit early to shift over to Florida Turnpike if necessary. I would say you are at the PE terminal before noon with ease. Note: The major rush hour traffic issues in SoFL (WPB and South to FLL) are not in play here considering you will be farther North during prime time and pass through with little to no issues. 

On 3/1/2024 at 1:42 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are on adventure August 2.

54 minutes ago, Sweety said:

How are you getting to the port?

We are flying in two days early. Going to rent a car and hang around Orlando for a bit. Driving ourselves to the port and dropping off the rental car at Enterprise on Mullet Road. They have a shuttle there to the port. It's exactly what we did last year for Wonder except this year, Hubby doesn't feel the need to go to Hollywood Studios. Thank goodness!