Odyssey cape liberty Jan 2025 11 night southern

So we are looking at this for next year. My concern is neither of Odyssey’s outside pools can not be covered like Ovations while in the cooler part of the cruise. I’m thinking that the Solarium would be just totally packed. Has anybody taken this cruise in the past. 
Thanks 

This cruise is normally on Anthem which Odyssey is in the same class of ship (Quantum Class).  I've don't both the 11 night and the 12 night cruise on Anthem in January and February several times my most recent 12 night cruise in January on Anthem was January of 2022.  

The truth for the first day at sea the solarium is going to be crowded however the temperature once the sun comes up on that first day at sea will be in low to mid 60s.  For people like myself coming from Chicago where it could easily be  with windchill -25, mid 60's is a heatwave and I'm in shorts teeshirt and flip flops.  However by the time the sun comes up on your second full day at sea temperatures will be in the mid 70s and the solarium won't be as crowded.

Of the flip side when you're sailing back to Cape Liberty on that last full day before arrival when the temp during the day is back down into the 60's in my opinion it never seemed like the Solarium was overly packed.  I think that is because the cruise blues has started to set in as people realize that on the next day it's back to reality. 

I cruise the Anthem out of Bayonne multiple times over the winter months. Having the enclosed main family pool is great for this itinerary. The area is heated against the northeast cold and air conditioned when we get to the hot Caribbean ports. The Solarium is crowded with adults on the day or two coming from Bayonne and the day or two coming back. Chair hogging is a problem. Sometimes it’s like the Hunger Games trying to get a lounger, especially if you have a few people. But…that’s even with a large amount of passengers, adults and families, being in the enclosed main pool area.

However, the Quantum Class Anthem leaves this April and will not return to Bayonne. Her replacement is the Odyssey.

The Odyssey is a Quantum-Plus class ship. The main difference which affects this itinerary is there is no enclosed pool. That area is open so there are two outdoor family pools. I can only imagine how crowded the Solarium will be on the cold days coming and going from Bayonne. How many people will ignore the adults-only rule and bring their kids in because there’s no other option.

It will be interesting.🤔 

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

I cruise the Anthem out of Bayonne multiple times over the winter months. Having the enclosed main family pool is great for this itinerary. The area is heated against the northeast cold and air conditioned when we get to the hot Caribbean ports. The Solarium is crowded with adults on the day or two coming from Bayonne and the day or two coming back. Chair hogging is a problem. Sometimes it’s like the Hunger Games trying to get a lounger, especially if you have a few people. But…that’s even with a large amount of passengers, adults and families, being in the enclosed main pool area.

However, the Quantum Class Anthem leaves this April and will not return to Bayonne. Her replacement is the Odyssey.

The Odyssey is a Quantum-Plus class ship. The main difference which affects this itinerary is there is no enclosed pool. That area is open so there are two outdoor family pools. I can only imagine how crowded the Solarium will be on the cold days coming and going from Bayonne. How many people will ignore the adults-only rule and bring their kids in because there’s no other option.

It will be interesting.🤔 

I do not understand this change. Anthem is made perfectly for NJ in the fall and winter. Why this change to a ship that is less made for the cold makes little sense. 

I think we would have enjoyed Odyssey in warmer weather not the end of January leaving from  a northeast port in the middle of winter. I’m thinking we’ll look at another cruise for next year. 
Forgot to mention we were looking at the 11 night cruise at end of January.

Hmm - was looking at that one for early Jan (have to plan around hubby's school schedule). I can't usually do the regular pools (knee troubles makes it difficult to use the ladders) so my only option for pool is the Solarium, usually. Didn't know Odyssey didn't have the covered pool that Anthem did (have done 2 on her, figured we'd like Odyssey too)

21 hours ago, BrianB said:

It will be interesting.🤔 

The odyssey is the replacement? I was under the impression it was Ovation. I like this option much better since it has the playmakers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 8:09 AM, BrianB said:

It will be interesting.🤔 

On the Presidents cruise Michael Bayley confirmed kids are granted access to the solarium during cold weather. Any restrictions were not mentioned.

celebrity announced kids will be permitted in the solarium on Alaska, The Balkans and Antarctica-I imagine in cold weather (said because I sailed Alaska in 80 degree heat). The hours are 5pm-7pm. Dinner time-so may not impact too many adults.  Crappy for families with kids though!

https://www.cruisehive.com/celebrity-cruises-to-permit-kids-in-adults-only-space-onboard/123994?utm_source=Cruise+Hive+Newsletter&utm_campaign=6240bd2ac1-CHV_RSS_News_InstantUpdates&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e04b47b456-6240bd2ac1-617187465&fbclid=IwAR3-cEtNnVOSCjt9jmHxXtSFL4NEopr86UFEFbRWzLQhVGoGyi_5BCrY2A8_aem_AVI2YJYLJz0P2YaoYM6wWRLAjmXaGY9CKJoWZIH4djnYC8yCOqEC3byhzXtP_g68Zmc

1 hour ago, Leroyr55 said:

Well we decided to throw caution to the wind. It’s booked you only live once. It’s so nice being retired and just thinking about another cruise😂😂

My rational just last week when we booked our first back to back cruise that we spent more than we would have liked, you only live once. Can't take it with you was the other rational. 🤣

This was discussed a couple months ago but it has been a long standing policy that the solarium is open to families at certain times on cold weather cruises, I think usually earlier in the day.  With that said, the question still bears out, has anyone been on Odyssey in cold weather? without the enclosed family pool you effectively drop from 3 pools to 1 (solarium).