level 3 state department warning for jamaica

i am not usually one to be too concerned, given that falmouth doesn’t read as the heart of jamaica — and we don’t normally leave the ship — but they’ve just upped the concern from a level 2 to a level 3. apparently in some parts, it is a 4. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html

since we are slated to be there next week on oasis, wondering if we will have that day in port or not….

4 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i am not usually one to be too concerned, given that falmouth doesn’t read as the heart of jamaica — and we don’t normally leave the ship — but they’ve just upped the concern from a level 2 to a level 3. apparently in some parts, it is a 4. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html

since we are slated to be there next week on oasis, wondering if we will have that day in port or not….

I wonder what point they do decide not to go. Now they have Nassau on a level 2, but at least there you can kind of stay in the port area and be fine...I guess as long as the ports are still safe, they go?

We visited on Oasis two weeks ago, I think the 19th? It was a Level 3 and no one seemed to care, including folks in our Facebook group. We seemed to have no problems other than one excursion returning late. I stayed on ship. This does raise plenty of questions. When DO they decide to cancel a port? Do they factor in warnings? Wait for an incident? Interesting discussion. 

That travel advisory is a little Wild, Wild, West scary for those areas outlined in the bulletin!  Eeeesshhh!  😳

Even back in May 2019 when we visited Jamaica on Allure, there were some "minor" safety concerns. Our friends that traveled with us have a go-to driver that they always use while in Jamaica (FYI... he was armed from what I was told... concealed of course). They actually just returned from a quick getaway this past week in Montego Bay without any incidents or concerns.

Our driver explained during our travels, that at that time, Jamaica was a hotbed for international phone scam rings. The government had just cracked down on these rings and some of the organizers/leaders were still on the loose on the island and the military was trying to track them down.

They set up military checkpoints throughout the island... we must have passed through 3 or 4 on our way to Rick's Cafe and all of our other stops! He clearly knew the soldiers at these checkpoints and we passed through quickly! 

Jamaica_05_2019.thumb.jpeg.9b00ddd09b6e8d7c00cd6d6c2bf1d9c3.jpeg

We never felt unsafe during that 2019 trip, but I guess it's become a little more dangerous in some areas.

I would do what makes you feel most comfortable... most of the risk appears to be primarily after dark and in the more sketchy, remote areas. 

Jamaica has always had warnings. Went there on our honeymoon many years ago and noticed the soldiers patrolling outside the resort. Talking to the resort driver about it he  basically said it's know not to mess with the tourists because if you do and the soldiers get you the rest of your life won't be pleasant. As long as you stay to the tourist areas it should fine

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 3:34 PM, smokeybandit said:

The same advice can be used in just about any city.

On 2/16/2024 at 2:29 PM, FOB said:

Think if you check that just means Jamaica is the same level as the UK. And we are safe in 99.9% of areas. 
don’t flash cash, don’t buy drugs and stay in the main areas and you should get fine

It’s actually sad that you have to state the obvious but clearly this world is filled with plenty of stupid people buying drugs in Jamaica and venturing off to unsafe areas w/o an organized tour. I would venture to guess if they knew what a Jamaican jail looked like, the decisions would be different!