Hi - this is our first time cruising, and we’d appreciate some guidance for what level room(s) to get. We’re doing a four night cruise on the Utopia next December. At that point our kids will be 20, 19, and 17. We were planning to book a sky class junior suite, but we’re realizing that just will not give us enough room. So our options are to do two sky class suites (which, $$!!!), or forego the sky class and do two connecting rooms. Does anyone have thoughts? Are the sky class benefits worth it? We are newbies and would greatly appreciate any thoughts and guidance!

Welcome to the boards.

I say the biggest factor will be price....at least in my opinion. This is only a 4N cruise, so you need to come to a realization of what an acceptable price is for you. You can assign a value to having the perks of Sky class and then what it might cost to get those benefits on their own. 

I want to assume it will be 5 people and with 5 people you will need at least two bathrooms. So maybe two rooms, they don't have to connect because connecting room sometimes cost more than two rooms just next to each other. It also might be possible to have the cabin attendant open the balcony dividers and then you have access to each room. 

I would suggest getting a TA, they can help you figure out the best pricing options and, in the event, something isn't right, they can assist. 

we have cruised many times with our teenage and now young adult children. We almost always get connecting ocean view balconies. The price is right and the balcony dividers can also be removed by your stateroom attendant. We have also tried an oceanview balcony for us and a boardwalk balcony for the kids across the hall.  For the money 2 balcony rooms beats 1 suite for us. 

Ok thanks, now a follow-up question. How busy are the restaurants normally? The Coastal Kitchen perk is appealing to us, bc in our heads I think we’re picturing sort of a mad house trying to eat at other restaurants. Are we way off on this? That would be good. 😊 

4 hours ago, Amy and Oscar said:

Ok thanks, now a follow-up question. How busy are the restaurants normally? The Coastal Kitchen perk is appealing to us, bc in our heads I think we’re picturing sort of a mad house trying to eat at other restaurants. Are we way off on this? That would be good. 😊 

The picture is nowhere near as bleak as that. Yes, the Windjammer (which is the main buffet) can be a mad house, especially on embarkation day and at peak meal times but on a ship like Utopia you're going to find plenty of other alternative eating places scattered around the ship.

For dinner, I'd suggest you get traditional seating (early will be around 5.30 and late around 8 pm) rather than choosing My Time Dining (MTD). That way you'll have the same table reserved for you every night and you can just walk straight in without having to wait in line for a table.

Another strategy could be to buy the ultimate dining package, which will let you eat at the speciality restaurants for dinner every day and lunch on boarding day and sea days. The amount you save by booking two standard rooms rather than a suite will probably cover this and you'll likely still come out on top. However, since it's your first cruise, I'd be inclined to suggest you stick to the included venues so you can see what's what and what you like and dislike. Then you'll know what works for you on the next one! 😊

I agree with @FionaMG…stick to complimentary dining places for this first cruise…especially since it’s just 4 nights.  Also choosing your dining time is much better than MTD.  As far as the room…2 bathrooms for 5 is absolutely necessary (in my opinion) so best to book 2 balcony rooms and the different options suggested above are great ones!

Do you have the time to move up to a 7 night cruise on an Oasis class ship? I have been one one 4 nighter and it is like you get on board have a blast and it is time to go. 7 nights really gives a much better feel for the whole cruise experience. Normally I'd not suggest moving to the longer cruise  due to cost but because Utopia is new and the overall cost of short cruises are more per day, you might find the cost in the same ballpark. Very few people get off their first cruise and say "I wish that had been shorter".

Again a good travel agent like the site sponsors here are invaluable. Unlike other styles of vacations cruise TA don't cost you anything, they are paid by the cruise line. You might get OBC as well as a better fare going through the TA but never a higher fare. You can use the good folks here as your TA and just post questions, we really don't mind. The TA will always get back to you almost immediately and if you have a problem we can't advocate for you like a TA. 

@foxrunner Great suggestion!  My first cruise with my husband was 5 nights but it was on the Brilliance so not really a huge ship by any means!  It was a decent amount of time for that ship.  I think Oasis came next and it was 7 nights…awesome!  4 nights is really short for a larger ship…in my opinion…especially as the first time cruise and paying the price for the Utopia!

10 hours ago, Amy and Oscar said:

if you chose early or late dining when booking you will sit at the same table in the main Dining Room each night and not have to worry about crowds. If you chose My Time dining make sure you reserve times on the app before the cruise and again you will not have to worry about crowds. You're going to love your first cruise and be hooked like the rest of us!