Questions Regarding Icon of the Seas "Infinite" Style Cabins

I've been scouring all over the internet for any definitive sources that answers my questions but to no avail. Hoping some fellow cruisers know anymore more than I do regarding the infinite ocean view balcony rooms.

Question: Does the infinite view balcony rooms have some sort of partition/divider/door to separate the cabin and the balcony area to maintain the air conditioning?

I've seen countless of videos and pictures either showing no separation between balcony/cabin or curtains/folding doors.

I figured with all the money, time and resource put into Icon OTS they would include some sort of partition so you can open the balcony window freely without jeopardizing your air conditioned room. Caribbean is known to get quite warm and humid and without any way to separate your balcony window from the cabin it would immediately heat up the cabin and perhaps cause mold due to moisture or condensation between cold and hot air. This could constantly deter you from enjoying the balcony if you're aware opening it would cause your cabin to use considerable energy to cool down the cabin again.

15 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

If it is anything like Celebrity's implementation, no. Once the window is open A/C is turned off.

wouldn't you agree they may overlooked a major design flaw if that was the case. you get all the cons but none of the pros of a traditional balcony cabin 😞

simply adding a tri-fold door/wall they could have solved the entire dilemma without ruining the concept they wanted to achieve.

With the traditional balcony theres a door separating your cabin and the balcony so you can enjoy the heat outside then come back into a chilled cabin afterwards but with this concept it'll be extremely uncomfortable to open the balcony ever.

the marketing sold me on an infinite view few years ago way before they released their animated tour of the cabins then i realized i should have just booked a traditional balcony instead for Icon OTS

2 hours ago, VillainsGin said:

wouldn't you agree they may overlooked a major design flaw if that was the case. you get all the cons but none of the pros of a traditional balcony cabin 😞

simply adding a tri-fold door/wall they could have solved the entire dilemma without ruining the concept they wanted to achieve.

With the traditional balcony theres a door separating your cabin and the balcony so you can enjoy the heat outside then come back into a chilled cabin afterwards but with this concept it'll be extremely uncomfortable to open the balcony ever.

the marketing sold me on an infinite view few years ago way before they released their animated tour of the cabins then i realized i should have just booked a traditional balcony instead for Icon OTS

Celebrity's infinite balconies on Beyond use the folding doors similar to your idea, but it is still not enough to solve the AC problem.  You either use the area as something like a sunroom with AC, or you open the window and use it as a private balcony without AC in your room, you can't do both.  Most people that like the room like it for the extra space and oversized window that stays mostly closed when it is hot.  Most people that dislike it feel as you do and would rather have a traditional balcony that does not shut off the AC in the room itself as long as the door is closed.  Either way, the lovers will book it, the haters will get a more traditional setup in a different room type.

I was surprised they used the infinite balcony design on Icon. I wonder if it is cheaper or perhaps makes the ship more aerodynamic by reducing drag? I feel it must have some major benefit to the cruise line as most people who have cruised on edge class are not big fans of the design. I myself try to get a porthole balcony when on Edge class to still have somewhat of a true balcony.

11 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

We booked the same room for March and I am already regretting the decision. We should have just stayed with a standard balcony. 

Their marketing was extremely deceptive and I basically folded in on the "infinite" balcony as well since my definition of infinite was so much better than what they really had in stored for me.

Now I know to never book anything with infinite in the name and stick with traditional balconies/suites. I understand some people like this category but personally for me it feels more limited than a traditional balcony.

It would have been nice if they did not withhold this information until most of us booked it. Going to mess with royal up bid to see if I can find something perhaps more to our desired preference. 

1 hour ago, VillainsGin said:

Definitely do please, I will marked a reminder so I can follow up because its killing me LOL

I will say, a big reason we booked it was for the space and # of beds as we are a family of 5 - but it was also something new to try with the infinite balcony, so definitely will report back on both aspects!

13 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I was surprised they used the infinite balcony design on Icon. I wonder if it is cheaper or perhaps makes the ship more aerodynamic by reducing drag? I feel it must have some major benefit to the cruise line as most people who have cruised on edge class are not big fans of the design. I myself try to get a porthole balcony when on Edge class to still have somewhat of a true balcony.

Definitely agree with you on the aerodynamic drag idea, I mean obviously it is not meant to fly(it would be wicked cool though), but I believe anything that increases The Icon's fuel efficiency while also enhancing the sleekness of her design would be a win-win.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, VillainsGin said:

image.png.c5928b52299deabae8fb1a5136457a6f.png

No one compete with me! i put in a max strength big for a large balcony room for ICON OTS. I'd rather pay extra than groan/regret staying in a infinite balcony cabin.

Wish me luck!

***Just an update***

My bid just got accepted as of today for the ocean view with large balcony!!! After more cruisers started confirming their dislike for the infinite balcony from the videos on youtube my anxiety just kept going up. BUT my max bid of $450 per person so $900 total was accepted, moving from infinite ocean balcony to ocean large balcony!

I dont have to stress about compromising my A/C and experience the view and smell of the ocean! 

🥳🥳🥳🥳

On 1/2/2024 at 4:03 PM, VillainsGin said:

I've been scouring all over the internet for any definitive sources that answers my questions but to no avail. Hoping some fellow cruisers know anymore more than I do regarding the infinite ocean view balcony rooms.

Question: Does the infinite view balcony rooms have some sort of partition/divider/door to separate the cabin and the balcony area to maintain the air conditioning?

I've seen countless of videos and pictures either showing no separation between balcony/cabin or curtains/folding doors.

I figured with all the money, time and resource put into Icon OTS they would include some sort of partition so you can open the balcony window freely without jeopardizing your air conditioned room. Caribbean is known to get quite warm and humid and without any way to separate your balcony window from the cabin it would immediately heat up the cabin and perhaps cause mold due to moisture or condensation between cold and hot air. This could constantly deter you from enjoying the balcony if you're aware opening it would cause your cabin to use considerable energy to cool down the cabin again.

See my post here: 

As you can see in pic, there is no "hard" divider.  There are 2 curtains, a sheer one and a light blocking one. 

3 hours ago, I_Love_RCI said:

See my post here: 

As you can see in pic, there is no "hard" divider.  There are 2 curtains, a sheer one and a light blocking one. 

Thank goodness my royal bid was accepted, I personally do not like any of the infinite category. compensating a/c just to open the window is ridiculous, especially for the caribbeans when its known for being humid and hot. I can see it being great for colder climates but not for Icon of the seas with a western/eastern caribbean.

Celebrity would probably have the most popular ships available right now if they had designed their Edge class ships with traditional balconies. People seem to love those ships, but for that one issue... Which is enough for many to refuse to cruise on it. Can't believe Royal brought this over. At least they only did it for a smaller number, rather than the entire ship. 

10 hours ago, Eighty8 said:

Celebrity would probably have the most popular ships available right now if they had designed their Edge class ships with traditional balconies. People seem to love those ships, but for that one issue... Which is enough for many to refuse to cruise on it. Can't believe Royal brought this over. At least they only did it for a smaller number, rather than the entire ship. 

One can still get a traditional balcony on an Edge class ship

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 2:20 PM, Marlena said:

Anyone know if a royal up for an "infinite balcony" is only for ocean view? It says ocean front in description but I worry we could get a CP one

i royaled up for the ocean view one and it is ONLY for ocean balconies. no central park and no surfside balconies.