Embarkation Day Lunch

Jayalekznder

My family and I will be going on our first cruise in August of 2024 on Freedom, and have researched the recommendation to avoid the Windjammer Buffet on Embarkation Day. I was thinking maybe Giovanni's Italian Kitchen but I dont know if it would be interesting for children that are 8 and 6 years of age. Would it be a good idea to reserve lunch? or is it better to swing by another dining location like Sorrento's?

I'll be the dissenting opinion on this as usual. If you are boarding early, I have no problem with the WJ getting there right when it opens. It takes a little while to get crowded as it takes time for people to board, wander, etc.

I also don't mind if it's a little crowded but many do.

On Freedom Giovanni's is Kitchen and not Table, there are multiple versions, so children will have access to pizza as well as a pasta. You can always look at the menus. Personally, I love an embarkation lunch and am willing to pay for comfort. But Freedom does have El Loco fresh(tacos) and Sorrento's as complementary options. 

3 hours ago, Jayalekznder said:

My family and I will be going on our first cruise in August of 2024 on Freedom, and have researched the recommendation to avoid the Windjammer Buffet on Embarkation Day. I was thinking maybe Giovanni's Italian Kitchen but I dont know if it would be interesting for children that are 8 and 6 years of age. Would it be a good idea to reserve lunch? or is it better to swing by another dining location like Sorrento's?

We really enjoyed our lunch at Giovanni's (although the Table not the kitchen) on embarkation day during our last cruise - it was our first time doing that due to a certificate from our TA. We have teens, but I can still see it being a great option for elementary aged kids because the servers are very focused on you and interested in your dining experience, plus it was quiet and spaced out, unlike everywhere else on the ship at that time. I can see it being a calming, lovely experience for your kids after the hustle and bustle of getting on board, especially if they have a little time to exert some energy first - like some swimming or water slides if you board early enough. Now is a great time to book it with the BF sale!

4 hours ago, Jayalekznder said:

You could always book it now to lock in the sale price and then think about it over the coming months. If you ultimately decide not to do it you can simply cancel for a refund.

Sorrentos is our ritual with an 11 yr old...it's right there when you walk in, so we grab a few slices each, grab a table and take it all in for a few minutes. Watch everyone walking on, grab our drink package cups, grab drinks, and scroll through the app making sure everything we need to book is booked and see whats up for the next few hours until the room is ready. 

2 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Sorrentos is our ritual with an 11 yr old

I like how experienced cruisers usually all have their own unique rituals and routines.

I've usually had some WJ, a kummelweck from Park Cafe, and possibly a taco from ELF by the time rooms are ready, lol.

When we turn D+ and plan to use a BOGO dinner for night one, I think I'm going to have to cut back on the embarkation binge eating routine.

3 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i like to envision mike with some kind of food bingo card and this is the first step toward making bingo 😂😂😂

I followed a live blog elsewhere of a guy who basically made a drink bingo card like that (but he was going for a blackout). It was more of a giant list broken into categories.

Don't think I haven't thought about making a more formal eating plan, lol, or at least some sort of list. I always get to the end of the cruise and think "I didn't eat enough XYZ."

9 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Nonsense.  Your eating game will mature with your status escalation

Possibly... but we don't do a ton of specialty so I make darn sure I have room for those dinners.

Mason Jar brunch on Wonder (which we love and have scheduled around noon on each cruise) works better than dinner. I just eat slightly less in the early morning, stuff myself at MJ, and then my stomach dictates the rest of the day/evening. 😁