Didn't Love Nachi Cocom... May Try Paradise Beach Next

OCSC Mike

Went to Nachi for the first time last week when we had a last minute itinerary change due to weather and had a time but was underwhelmed. I had read about how great it was for many years and it just didn't live up to the reviews.

It was definitely nice looking, quiet, and I had no complaints about our palapa close to the ocean as requested. The service, however, was a bit uneven. We expected to have 1 attendant all day but we had 2 randomly stopping by for drink orders and occasionally a 3rd. Sometimes quite often, sometimes not so much. Frozen drinks were very icy/watery so I quickly switched to margaritas. They were weak but tasted fine so I drank a few more than I normally would. Food was OK but not great. When we were ready to leave the server was saw most often promptly had a taxi for us within minutes so that was nice. We didn't have a bad time but likely won't be going back.

I'm off to find somewhere else for our next 2 trips to Cozumel this summer. So far Paradise Beach with the addition of a day bed looks like an option. I'm normally frugal (never spend a penny at CocoCay except voucher tips) but the day bed seemed like it would serve multiple purposes, besides comfort. It looked like it would mitigate the crowds on the beach a bit, guarantee shade (the sun hates me), and put us in a good location very close to the food and drink (of which I'll likely consume plenty, especially the food). We enjoyed the quietness of Nachi and a smaller beach club in Costa Maya before, but we also have no problem sitting by other people around the Oasis pool on CocoCay in ear shot of the DJ so we don't need solitude. We're also plenty used to sailing with tons of kids as my wife is a teacher so that's not a big deal. We're just not looking for a loud party.

25 minutes ago, instaGator said:

I am sorry that Nachi Cocom didn't live up to your expectations.  If you would like a fun day seeing the other side of the island, then you might like the Cozumel Bar Hop : https://cozumelbarhop.com  We have hopped three times and have had great fun each time.

No worries, we had been planning to try it for a long time, just never had. Good news is the itinerary change from Labadee to Cozumel last week let me try it sooner so we can try something else this summer.

Bar hopping isn't for us but thanks. My wife doesn't really even drink and I like food so an all inclusive beach club fits the bill if we're not doing something like a boat/snorkel tour.

After looking at some Paradise Beach videos and even discussing what day bed we would want because the club looked good, my wife tells me she's actually OK if we don't do anything just for the sake of getting off the ship, lol. Maybe we'll just be enjoying Wonder and CocoCay some more and putting the excursion money back into the general cruise fund.

4 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

After looking at some Paradise Beach videos and even discussing what day bed we would want because the club looked good, my wife tells me she's actually OK if we don't do anything just for the sake of getting off the ship, lol. Maybe we'll just be enjoying Wonder and CocoCay some more and putting the excursion money back into the general cruise fund.

I still go back and forth on the best beach club in Cozumel. We have been to all of the big 3 several times and Paradise might be the best all around. Never had an issue at any of them but I suppose it’s hit or miss and heavily dependent on individual experiences. The only one we still haven’t tried is the small resort beach club located close by the pier (can’t recall the name but it gets good reviews).  

14 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I still go back and forth on the best beach club in Cozumel. We have been to all of the big 3 several times and Paradise might be the best all around. Never had an issue at any of them but I suppose it’s hit or miss and heavily dependent on individual experiences. The only one we still haven’t tried is the small resort beach club located close by the pier (can’t recall the name but it gets good reviews).  

I'll second that opinion.  We have been to all the beach resorts in Cozumel.  Paradise Beach is our go to spot now.  

@tonyfsu21 Is it El Cid in Cozumel? We walked over & experienced it once before. Very clean but not well organized.  Their pool was super small for the property. The food was surprisingly good but the chairs & such when we went were not in the best shape. To get into the ocean water it took taking some rocky stairs as well as to return. It wasn't bad if you wish to walk over for a quick beach day without the bother of a taxi ride & it's cool lying on the beach and viewing the ships. Personally I might return if I'm feeling a lazy day in Cozumel, super lazy. LOL! 

The day pass included towels but when we arrived they were all in the "laundry" so I would bring my own next time. It was okay at best in my humble opinion, I liked Nachi better but I've yet to visit any additional beach clubs in Cozumel yet. We were told about the bar hop as well, people were talking about it on Nachi but that's not particularly our thing. 

Paradise is on our radar for next time. Do you have their website to share?

20 minutes ago, Neesa said:

https://www.paradisebeachcozumel.com/  (I still have it open in a tab in case my wife changed her mind, lol.)

Everything about it looked good to me (from watching YouTube videos) except maybe the beach being a bit crowded with loungers close together (thus why we looked at a day bed). They even seemed to have good American food and non-alcoholic drinks for my big kid of a wife (pizza looked surprisingly good and they have actual smoothies, not just virgin daiquiris).

If she told me she wanted to get off the ship, I'd book it in a heartbeat, there's no dollar value for that... but if she's just as happy on the ship (which should be nice and quiet on a port day), we can just chill in the Solarium, use our vouchers, and eat food we've already paid for.

16 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

f she told me she wanted to get off the ship, I'd book it in a heartbeat, there's no dollar value for that... but if she's just as happy on the ship (which should be nice and quiet on a port day), we can just chill in the Solarium, use our vouchers, and eat food we've already paid for.

We love staying on the ship during port days.  We usually plan that into our cruise now.   There is nothing like a relaxing day by the pool with everyone in port. 

Paradise Beach does sell out. If you plan on going make sure you get reservations. 

1 hour ago, Vacation Crazy said:

We love staying on the ship during port days.

We do too but we've been doing that a lot in the past 2 years for various reasons. I'm just trying to make sure my wife is content. For our next several 7N Wonder cruises, we'll likely get off at CocoCay and one other port... staying onboard for 1-2 ports each time (or maybe just going for a quick morning walk around the port then coming back). We have 3 of the 4 cruises covered but there will be a Western with 3 stops besides CocoCay with nothing planned as of now... that's where Paradise Beach was going to fit in.

11 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

there will be a Western with 3 stops besides CocoCay with nothing planned as of now

Re-reading this is making me think I need to make sure my wife understands that, lol.

Her final answer to Paradise Beach was that she would try it but it was up to me and she really didn't care. After 21 years of marriage, I have learned that this phrasing sometimes means she truly doesn't care and other times it means I may want to do what I think she'd prefer even if she doesn't realize it. A beach club itself isn't a huge draw, she's being honest when she says she doesn't care, not playing mind games, but I'm not sure she realizes that she really may want to get off the ship a 2nd time that week once we're onboard.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Re-reading this is making me think I need to make sure my wife understands that, lol.

Her final answer to Paradise Beach was that she would try it but it was up to me and she really didn't care. After 21 years of marriage, I have learned that this phrasing sometimes means she truly doesn't care and other times it means I may want to do what I think she'd prefer even if she doesn't realize it. A beach club itself isn't a huge draw, she's being honest when she says she doesn't care, not playing mind games, but I'm not sure she realizes that she really may want to get off the ship a 2nd time that week once we're onboard.

I think you will be happy if you plan to visit Paradise Beach.  We've been twice and recommended to numerous friends who have all loved it.  I would definitely book a daybed (we prefer the beach ones to the ones around the pool but both are great).  The drinks are terrific, the food is as good or better as on the ship and the service is wonderful.  

32 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

I think you will be happy if you plan to visit Paradise Beach.  We've been twice and recommended to numerous friends who have all loved it.  I would definitely book a daybed (we prefer the beach ones to the ones around the pool but both are great).  The drinks are terrific, the food is as good or better as on the ship and the service is wonderful.  

Thanks. I have no doubt we'd enjoy it, it's just a matter of the issues I rambled about above. The food and drink options looked great.

My initial thought would be a beach daybed but for some reason we didn't like how they looked when watching videos yesterday and were thinking by the pool though I can't remember exactly why. I think they looked like there wasn't much open space around them and there were trees and loungers between them and the ocean. Want to briefly sell me on the beach daybeds?

EDIT: I found a video and it was definitely that we thought we the daybeds on the beach looked very crowded with less free space as some of the ones around the pool. It's not that we want to be at the pool but the daybed was partially to make it feel less crowded and it looked like the pool area ones did a better job of accomplishing that. Still interested in your thoughts though.

We are visiting Paradise Beach next month for the first time. Friends will be joining us; between all of us we booked 4 daybeds to act as a central place to call home. We booked the beach facing daybeds, not the ones poolside.  I had to contact Paradise Beach after an itinerary change and they made all the necessary changes right away. I hear consistently good experiences with activities, food and service so I hope we have a great day.  I will report back on my blog. 

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I found a video and it was definitely that we thought we the daybeds on the beach looked very crowded with less free space as some of the ones around the pool. It's not that we want to be at the pool but the daybed was partially to make it feel less crowded and it looked like the pool area ones did a better job of accomplishing that.

Yes I am concerned with this too but since there are no cabanas, we decided we would rather be ocean facing. We plan on arriving early so hopefully we miss some of the overcrowding I am anticipating.  Worst case I can always pull the side curtains. Lol 

6 hours ago, Jax said:

Yes I am concerned with this too but since there are no cabanas, we decided we would rather be ocean facing. We plan on arriving early so hopefully we miss some of the overcrowding I am anticipating.

Next month I assume? Would love you see/hear your feedback. I don't think we'll really care what daybed we get if we go. We'd normally choose ocean facing too but if there are trees and chairs in the way, facing the ocean doesn't do much. I feel like it's an obstructed view daybed. 🤣 I'm sure you can see some part of the ocean and it's not that big a deal.

23 hours ago, Neesa said:

@tonyfsu21 Is it El Cid in Cozumel? We walked over & experienced it once before. Very clean but not well organized.  Their pool was super small for the property. The food was surprisingly good but the chairs & such when we went were not in the best shape. To get into the ocean water it took taking some rocky stairs as well as to return. It wasn't bad if you wish to walk over for a quick beach day without the bother of a taxi ride & it's cool lying on the beach and viewing the ships. Personally I might return if I'm feeling a lazy day in Cozumel, super lazy. LOL! 

The day pass included towels but when we arrived they were all in the "laundry" so I would bring my own next time. It was okay at best in my humble opinion, I liked Nachi better but I've yet to visit any additional beach clubs in Cozumel yet. We were told about the bar hop as well, people were talking about it on Nachi but that's not particularly our thing. 

I looked it up and the beach club is called Del Mar Latino. I have heard some good things about it but never tried. The only downside for us is adults only. 

20 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks. I have no doubt we'd enjoy it, it's just a matter of the issues I rambled about above. The food and drink options looked great.

My initial thought would be a beach daybed but for some reason we didn't like how they looked when watching videos yesterday and were thinking by the pool though I can't remember exactly why. I think they looked like there wasn't much open space around them and there were trees and loungers between them and the ocean. Want to briefly sell me on the beach daybeds?

EDIT: I found a video and it was definitely that we thought we the daybeds on the beach looked very crowded with less free space as some of the ones around the pool. It's not that we want to be at the pool but the daybed was partially to make it feel less crowded and it looked like the pool area ones did a better job of accomplishing that. Still interested in your thoughts though.

The daybeds around the pool are a little bit more open but we found that then you have all the pool traffic and more kids around.  The ones on the beach do have have a good view of the beach and the trees that block some of the view are palm trees so we don't mind looking at those.  We also like that we can have our feet in the sand when not actually laying on the bed.  You truly can't go wrong with either should you decide to book - if you go, I highly recommend the coconut shrimp!

2 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

The daybeds around the pool are a little bit more open but we found that then you have all the pool traffic and more kids around.  The ones on the beach do have have a good view of the beach and the trees that block some of the view are palm trees so we don't mind looking at those.  We also like that we can have our feet in the sand when not actually laying on the bed.  You truly can't go wrong with either should you decide to book - if you go, I highly recommend the coconut shrimp!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards booking but now I'm hung up on the daybed location.

I have 3 large palms in my back yard so looking at those isn't enticing, lol, but it's a fair point. I wish I could find a better video of the beach daybed area. It just looks congested but I'm sure it would be fine once I was there in person.

@recogneyes @Jax and anyone else who has been there or is going...

At the 12:07 mark of this video I think I found a pretty good shot of the beach daybeds on the far left and obviously the ocean on the far right. That just doesn't seem all that appealing to me. There are tables, trees, and tons of loungers between the daybeds and the ocean. I'm just trying to decide for myself, not talk you guys into or out of anything. Am I missing something or is it just that it wasn't a big deal to you guys. Thanks for the ongoing opinions.

43 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

@recogneyes @Jax and anyone else who has been there or is going...

At the 12:07 mark of this video I think I found a pretty good shot of the beach daybeds on the far left and obviously the ocean on the far right. That just doesn't seem all that appealing to me. There are tables, trees, and tons of loungers between the daybeds and the ocean. I'm just trying to decide for myself, not talk you guys into or out of anything. Am I missing something or is it just that it wasn't a big deal to you guys. Thanks for the ongoing opinions.

That's a terrific video of the resort.  Since you have the pleasure of palm trees in your backyard then that's one less vote for the beach day beds.  The chairs and trees don't bother us at all but you might be safest booking a daybed by the pool and then walking down to the sand/beach area if you feel like doing so.  The washrooms are to the right of the bar area in the direction of exiting the resort.  Any of the beds are a quick walk to the washroom but might be something to consider when choosing a bed.

42 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm just trying to decide for myself, not talk you guys into or out of anything. Am I missing something or is it just that it wasn't a big deal to you guys. Thanks for the ongoing opinions.

The only reason we are getting off the ship is that the guys wanted to do some of the activities. Our son recently turned 18 and has wanted to try jet skis. When we visited Coco Cay the jet skis were cancelled due to winds. My preference would have been for an overwater type cabana but that isn’t going to happen in Mexico. So I am going into this with low expectations and we will see what happens.  At least we have a dedicated space and for $50 it will be what it will be.  The daybed definitely won‘t live up to our overwater cabana experience at coco cay but again it’s only $50.  

I'm an idiot. 🙈  I e-mailed them and they pointed out exactly what it says on the website page where you choose your daybed... "CLICK ON THE NUMBER TO CHECK THE VIEW."

Each one gives you a very large, clear picture of what you see in front of each daybed.

16 minutes ago, Jax said:

I will definitely provide a review in my Blog with pics/videos. We have booked daybed #14 and our friends have 15,16,17. 

Great! I was just looking at those with my wife and we were leaning towards 16 or 17 because it looks like there's more of a view of the ocean down a path in between the loungers. We'll probably have booked it by then but I will definitely be looking forward to your blog (which I would have been reading anyway, of course).

Thanks for the input.

16 hours ago, Jax said:

The daybed definitely won‘t live up to our overwater cabana experience at coco cay but again it’s only $50.

Having been treated to both types of CocoCay Beach Club cabanas (which are way above my pay grade), no, they will not.

I think you know from my posts that $200 or whatever for the day and the daybed for all you can eat and drink is more my style and price point, lol. It's $70 for a daybed now, btw, prices aren't just going on the ships or in the US.

If the food and drink were better, we would have gone back to Nachi Cocom for 2 loungers and a palapa for $59pp... but this seems far more appealing.

EDIT: Wife has narrowed it down to the beach and either 14, 15, or 16.

18 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm an idiot. 🙈  I e-mailed them and they pointed out exactly what it says on the website page where you choose your daybed... "CLICK ON THE NUMBER TO CHECK THE VIEW."

Each one gives you a very large, clear picture of what you see in front of each daybed.

Great! I was just looking at those with my wife and we were leaning towards 16 or 17 because it looks like there's more of a view of the ocean down a path in between the loungers. We'll probably have booked it by then but I will definitely be looking forward to your blog (which I would have been reading anyway, of course).

Thanks for the input.

Well @OCSC Mike you just taught me something about the resort - I had no idea that interactive map was there.  Either it's new or it wasn't there earlier this year when I booked.  Both times we've gone, we had to book the resort then send a separate email requesting a daybed and then they sent a payment link.  This is so much better.  When we went the first time we were assigned daybed 15.  We requested it the next time but it wasn't available so we took bed 14.  I agree you might have a bit better line of sight to the beach from 16 or 17 but one thing to consider is people traffic - in between those loungers is access to the pool, bar and washrooms as well as the taco truck so you might find a few more people passing by.  I think your wife is bang on with choosing 14 or 15!

14 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

Well @OCSC Mike you just taught me something about the resort - I had no idea that interactive map was there.  Either it's new or it wasn't there earlier this year when I booked.  Both times we've gone, we had to book the resort then send a separate email requesting a daybed and then they sent a payment link.  This is so much better.  When we went the first time we were assigned daybed 15.  We requested it the next time but it wasn't available so we took bed 14.  I agree you might have a bit better line of sight to the beach from 16 or 17 but one thing to consider is people traffic - in between those loungers is access to the pool, bar and washrooms as well as the taco truck so you might find a few more people passing by.  I think your wife is bang on with choosing 14 or 15!

@recogneyes Glad I could help. At least it wasn't there when you booked. I saw the map and just didn't read the instructions about seeing the views, lol. I agree it's an excellent feature.

My wife was concerned with the taco truck and walking path between 16 and 17. I appreciate the feedback and I'll pass it along. It was going to be her call anyway... for both happy wife reasons and b/c as long as they keep bringing me food and drinks, it won't have a significant impact on me wherever we are. 😁

I was discussing this with someone else who has been there and he said having only 2 ships in port on the day I'm looking at would probably make a significant difference in how crowded it is. So that's a nice bonus but I'm sure she'll wind up choosing 14 or 15 anyway.

The website pics make it look like the ocean is pretty far away from the daybeds with the trees and loungers in between. I'm nitpicking, I know, but I like discussing stuff to pass the time when my next cruise is months away.  Is the view better than I'm envisioning?

16 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

@recogneyes Glad I could help. At least it wasn't there when you booked. I saw the map and just didn't read the instructions about seeing the views, lol. I agree it's an excellent feature.

My wife was concerned with the taco truck and walking path between 16 and 17. I appreciate the feedback and I'll pass it along. It was going to be her call anyway... for both happy wife reasons and b/c as long as they keep bringing me food and drinks, it won't have a significant impact on me wherever we are. 😁

I was discussing this with someone else who has been there and he said having only 2 ships in port on the day I'm looking at would probably make a significant difference in how crowded it is. So that's a nice bonus but I'm sure she'll wind up choosing 14 or 15 anyway.

The website pics make it look like the ocean is pretty far away from the daybeds with the trees and loungers in between. I'm nitpicking, I know, but I like discussing stuff to pass the time when my next cruise is months away.  Is the view better than I'm envisioning?

You're not nitpicking...and I agree it's fun discussing lots of things prior to upcoming cruises.  I think the view is pretty much what you are envisioning - maybe better when you are standing by your day bed as opposed to when laying on it.  I will say the service from this resort makes it so that you don't need to leave your day bed unless you choose to.  We enjoyed walking down to the water and the pool area for parts of our visits but mostly just stayed put and enjoyed being pampered.

1 hour ago, recogneyes said:

You're not nitpicking...and I agree it's fun discussing lots of things prior to upcoming cruises.  I think the view is pretty much what you are envisioning - maybe better when you are standing by your day bed as opposed to when laying on it.  I will say the service from this resort makes it so that you don't need to leave your day bed unless you choose to.  We enjoyed walking down to the water and the pool area for parts of our visits but mostly just stayed put and enjoyed being pampered.

Thanks, that pretty much sounds like what I was picturing on all counts. My wife said if it's a toss up between 14 and 15 we'll go with 14 b/c it's her lucky number, lol. The only difference I could come up with is that 14 only has another daybed on one side of it. So I think we've sort of settled on 14.

In the spirit of discussing things, I was chatting with that same person who was giving me his opinion on Paradise and he has been to Cozumel so many times (not always via cruise) that he had a list of about 10 other places/things to consider. So now I'm actually considering one for our other Western Caribbean cruise this summer (we're doing the same exact itinerary on Wonder in both June & July, lol).

The fun of planning and researching is getting in the way of the fact that we mostly sail for the ship and have a great time without excursions. It's also threatening my frugality. This one is pretty inexpensive but we can sit in the Solarium, use our vouchers, and eat wherever at no extra charge. 🤔

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks, that pretty much sounds like what I was picturing on all counts. My wife said if it's a toss up between 14 and 15 we'll go with 14 b/c it's her lucky number, lol. The only difference I could come up with is that 14 only has another daybed on one side of it. So I think we've sort of settled on 14.

In the spirit of discussing things, I was chatting with that same person who was giving me his opinion on Paradise and he has been to Cozumel so many times (not always via cruise) that he had a list of about 10 other places/things to consider. So now I'm actually considering one for our other Western Caribbean cruise this summer (we're doing the same exact itinerary on Wonder in both June & July, lol).

The fun of planning and researching is getting in the way of the fact that we mostly sail for the ship and have a great time without excursions. It's also threatening my frugality. This one is pretty inexpensive but we can sit in the Solarium, use our vouchers, and eat wherever at no extra charge. 🤔

Sitting in the solarium - especially when quieter as many people will be off the ship is never a bad option.  Since you've got a few visits to Cozumel planned, maybe try one of the resorts and if it doesn't do it for you, then you have your answer and can just enjoy the solarium going forward.  We've heard good reviews on a few other resorts in Cozumel as well.  We just really like Paradise Beach and therefore are going to stick with it.

6 hours ago, recogneyes said:

This must be new. When I booked last spring I had to book the all inclusive passes first and then the resort sent me a link to book the daybed.  I am now curious what my view from daybed #14 looks like. Where do I go to view?? Do I have to do a mock booking for all inclusive passes to get to daybeds??? 

18 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yes. Then click on the number 14, not the middle of the daybed graphic to actually select it. The view should pop up in a new window.

Yup it worked! I am ok with the view. I expect to be looking out at a sea of people 😬 but at least we have some dedicated space that won’t have loungers jammed right beside us.  

1 hour ago, Jax said:

Yup it worked! I am ok with the view. I expect to be looking out at a sea of people 😬 but at least we have some dedicated space that won’t have loungers jammed right beside us.  

Holy crowded port Batman! You're there with 7 ships?!? Just close the curtains and leave a little slit open for food and drink delivery. 🙈

57 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Holy crowded port Batman! You're there with 7 ships?!? Just close the curtains and leave a little slit open for food and drink delivery. 🙈

Haha I love this.  More fun facts….those 7 ships have a combined passenger count of 25,491 🤯 What could possibly go wrong with numbers like that.  Our view will be the least of my worries. Lol 

15 hours ago, Jax said:

Haha I love this.  More fun facts….those 7 ships have a combined passenger count of 25,491 🤯 What could possibly go wrong with numbers like that.  Our view will be the least of my worries. Lol 

Fingers crossed it's not too bad - both times we were there lots of ships were in port...resort was busy but service was still amazing.   They do have a cap of how many they allow.  Have a great time!

18 hours ago, Jax said:

This must be new. When I booked last spring I had to book the all inclusive passes first and then the resort sent me a link to book the daybed.  I am now curious what my view from daybed #14 looks like. Where do I go to view?? Do I have to do a mock booking for all inclusive passes to get to daybeds??? 

So glad that @OCSC Mike pointed this out - way better than how the resort booked daybeds in the past

8 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

So glad that @OCSC Mike pointed this out - way better than how the resort booked daybeds in the past

I accept tips as a thank you. 😁

I actually booked Paradise with daybed 14 for July this morning. I'm sure I could have waited but I decided to just get some stuff out of the way for our next group of cruises before I got busy over the next few months with work, holidays, and of course booking more cruises as 2025-26 is being released. 🤣