Communication on Labadee

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Communication on Labadee
Just now, Xaa said:

Your ship wifi will generally not work there.  I haven't tried to hit a cell tower, but you may be able to do that and incur whatever charges your carrier brings.

I had a cell signal because I remember getting a call while I was there. This was back in 2018ish so things may have changed. You would be calling on the Haitian cell network so do be aware of what fees your provider charges for being on said Haitian network. Pretty sure that area has a stronger Digicell and NATCOM are both pretty strong in Cap-Haitien (at least, they were last time I was in Cap-Haitien in 2022), one of Haiti's largest cities which is just a few miles away, so it should be pretty strong in Labadee too. 

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I assume you mean communicate electronically vs. the typical audible or sign language means of communication.

Smoke signals, although not specifically banned in cruise contract, are likely frowned upon while on ship or private islands. 
Carrier pigeons are also questionable. 

36 minutes ago, CruzOnBye said:

We use walkie talkies when there and on CocoCay and while on the ship. It's worked really well for us, just got a random set from Amazon for a pack of 4 for around $30 for a decent set (or what we consider decent) 🙂

Interestingly enough, most American walkie talkies are illegal in many parts of the world. I believe that includes Haiti (without Haitian government approval...and good luck getting their approval on pretty much anything haha) but am not 100% sure. 

So I say to the party we are leaving the ship at such time and we are going to be located at a preselected location. 

If you show up cool, if not oh well you knew the plan. See you later on board.

I am not responsible for others actions or inactions that may or may not impact their enjoyment of the port.

37 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Smoke signals, although not specifically banned in cruise contract, are likely frowned upon while on ship or private islands. 

To be fair, it's really a private peninsula, not an island...they just don't want you tell you it's actually attached to Haiti. So you should be good. 

1 minute ago, Zacharius said:

To be fair, it's really a private peninsula, not an island...they just don't want you tell you it's actually attached to Haiti. So you should be good. 

That's why they changed it from Labadie to Labadee. No one would ever suspect Labadee being part of Haiti!  Actually that's partially true. Early on, many didn't realize they were in Haiti when a ship stopped there as it was marketed as just Hispaniola.

• 2 months later...

One option is to use messaging apps that work offline. Apps like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger allow you to send messages over Wi-Fi without the need for cellular data, which can be super handy when you're on an island getaway. Just make sure to set up a group chat with your fellow passengers before you go so you're all connected and ready to chat.
And hey, if you're still looking for some handy travel tips or resources, I'd suggest checking out the HRD Corp claimable courses. They might have some valuable insights and information to enhance your travel experience.