Windjammer miniscule pork chops

Al Miller

Wow! I've had pork chops in the WJ before and they were cut like what most people would know as standard pork chops. What we had on Oasis tody was less than an eighth of an inch thick. Barely thicker than lunch meat. What a disgrace. The pork schnitzel the previous night was easily twice as thick. And that dish is supposed to be pounded out thin! The race to the bottom continues unabated unfortunately...

1 hour ago, Ryan79 said:

Was getting a second pork chop at a BUFFET out of the realm of possibility?? Heaven forbid they should cut them smaller to try and reduce waste…at a BUFFET!

If you like meat so thin that it can't sit on the warming trays for more than 2 minutes before being as dry as shoe leather, then sure get all you want. If you want to guarantee that no one finishes more than one bite of a dish and then chucks the rest, then this is the right move. If you're idea is that people will eat less if you make the food terrible, then this is definitely the way to go.

9 hours ago, Al Miller said:

Wow! I've had pork chops in the WJ before and they were cut like what most people would know as standard pork chops. What we had on Oasis tody was less than an eighth of an inch thick. Barely thicker than lunch meat. What a disgrace. The pork schnitzel the previous night was easily twice as thick. And that dish is supposed to be pounded out thin! The race to the bottom continues unabated unfortunately...

Thanks for the update. As you noted later, thin cuts are easily overcooked. Your information is useful.

7 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

Was getting a second pork chop at a BUFFET out of the realm of possibility?? Heaven forbid they should cut them smaller to try and reduce waste…at a BUFFET!

This is my sentiment 100% of the time when I hear about portion sizes being small in the MDR.  Just get 2, or 3 even.  On the pork chop thing, while I'm not as far down the doom and gloom gang plank as @Al Miller, I do see a thin cut chop and a thick cut pork chop as 2 different dining experiences with dryness being one of the primary differences.

If I were after thin cut chops and they were paper thin, I think I would just grab a stack.  If I preferred thick and was already down the path of "The race to the bottom...", that would certainly be something I would seize upon.

When your customers are jubilated they will make excuses for you if you screw up, when they are satisfied, they will remain with you even through some hiccups, when they are no longer satisfied and on their way to dissatisfied they explore other options and issue complaints, when they are closer to dissatisfied than satisfied they begin to see and create complaints in the places they otherwise wouldn't, when they are fully dissatisfied, they cease complaining and spend their dollars another way.

I think @Al Miller is closer to dissatisfied than satisfied recently for reasons we talk about here everyday.

I had originally ignored this topic. But I have to point out to those who think/say just get more etc. If being thin cut causes the poor quality and people are forced to try multiple pieces to get a good one, it's a classic example of a false savings on Royals part. I've left 5 or 6 plates full of food on my last 2 trips at every Windjammer meal because of poor choice ingredients, poor cuts of meat, etc etc. The basics of the ingredients are there. The economic poor choice execution saves nothing in long run when folks try plate after plate for a good one. What's the point of access to more if a cut is too thin and causes dry rubber bad taste etc? The first thing your tought in a professional kitchen is doing it right in the first place saves money in the long run. This is where Royal is failing lately. 

This same phenomenon has been happening for 100 years, as you get older and have had things multiple times it doesn't taste as good as it used to. So many times I've tried something for the first time and thought wow gotta come back to this place and always end up slightly disappointed. The brain is a massive receptor for taste.

My parents would always say food doesn't taste as good as it used to when i thought it was fine.

I never considered the person getting more to find a good one.  I was thinking only of getting more to have more pork.  I'm not sure if I've ever wasted 5-6 plates of food at a buffet in my entire life combined, but that is their model.  Try things and if you don't like it, try something else.  That certainly begs waste.

I sort of suspect there were folks on the ship that were glad the chops were thin and prefer them that way.  That wouldn't be me, but I know such people.

2 hours ago, Xaa said:

I never considered the person getting more to find a good one.  I was thinking only of getting more to have more pork.  I'm not sure if I've ever wasted 5-6 plates of food at a buffet in my entire life combined, but that is their model.  Try things and if you don't like it, try something else.  That certainly begs waste.

I sort of suspect there were folks on the ship that were glad the chops were thin and prefer them that way.  That wouldn't be me, but I know such people.

Yep I like my meat thick and slightly cooked, my wife thin and cooked into oblivion. I don't get it but ain't going to ruin my life.