Lobster Night no longer ?!?!

I am currently on Enchantment OTS, 7 night sailing from Rome and there was no lobster in the MDR on our entire sailing. We are on our second formal night and they replaced the lobster with “large” shrimp. Never in all our years of cruising have we ever not had a lobster night. I am beyond disappointed and hoping this is not where we are heading. 

Is lobster really that big a deal? It's always been overrated in my opinion, and not just cruise lobsters.

Also, IIRC lobster has never been offered on European cruises, at least not in a long, long while. They are also never offered on cruises shorter than 6 or 7 nights. This isn't 'where we are headed'. This is how it always has been.

Everyone should have known it was coming.  If I was a cruise line, I would have done it years ago.  From what I have seen, people cannot just enjoy a lobster dinner.  They have to be gluttons and have 2, 3, 4 or more lobster tails.  If the cruise line charge people for the extra and they have a fit.  It is easier to just remove them from the menu.

interesting, cruise or cruise-bashing sites such as this, folks pile it on in saying the lobsters are horrible.  Then simultaneously, folks are critical of the thought of lobsters being curtailed or eliminated on menus.  

I am a lover of lobsters.  Maybe my all time favorite food.  And I thoroughly enjoy the lobsters aboard ship.  Apparently I was not born with a silver spoon, so to speak.😎

Well, I like beef also, but we were talking about lobster.  I understand folks having opinions, including me, and not everybodies opinions match.  That's okay.

I understand not everybody likes lobster.  But to insist the lobster is bad, just because a person doesn't like lobster anyway, makes little sense. 

My point simply was, folks constantly complain about the lobster, but then complain that lobster is or might be discontinued.  You'd think these same folks that hate lobster would be happy to see it go.  It's kind've like, you can't have it both ways. 😄

But what about those of us who like lobster, but just think Royals MDR lobster is bad? That’s where I’m willing to be the majority of those criticizing the lobster fall into. I love steak, but does that mean I have to think highly of Chops? My last steak at Chops looked like it was boiled (I did NOT mean broiled). It was also one of the toughest ribeyes I’ve ever ate. You can like something AND also not like the way a certain place serves it. Both of these things can be true. 

11 hours ago, WAYNO said:

interesting, cruise or cruise-bashing sites such as this, folks pile it on in saying the lobsters are horrible.  Then simultaneously, folks are critical of the thought of lobsters being curtailed or eliminated on menus.  

I am a lover of lobsters.  Maybe my all time favorite food.  And I thoroughly enjoy the lobsters aboard ship.  Apparently I was not born with a silver spoon, so to speak.😎

I get you on this @WAYNO.  I think some of it is the idea of lobster more than the lobster being serviced that gets some riled up.  not everyone of course.  The notion that they can tell their non cruising friends about dining and say things like "even on lobster night, it's all you can eat lobster" made people happy.  

I eat the lobster served on the ship and like it enough.  I don't feel like I've had a lobster dinner, but combined with the NY strip, I'm pleased with the evening meal for sure.