Senior discount on drink package

Jill

When I look at the drink package options in my upcoming sailing, if you scroll to the bottom of the page where it shows the details and "fine print" it says:

"Offer applies to bookings made September 28, 2023 - October 2, 2023 and applies to select sailings departing October 2, 2023 – September 30, 2024. Senior Savings offer applies to guests 65 or older. Offers are non-transferable and not combinable with Crown & Anchor discounts or any other offer or promotion. Offers may vary by ship and sail date. Additional fees may apply to booking changes or cancellations. Prices and offers are subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, and may be withdrawn at any time. Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update fares, fees and surcharges at any time without prior notice."

Edited by Eyeonhevn
To add full details

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/30/2023 at 2:34 AM, FionaMG said:

I wonder if all the adults in the room have to be 65 or over for the senior discount to apply? Since they all have to buy the package if one of the does.

So I figured this one out accidentally last evening - we are sailing on Wonder in May, my MIL is linked to our sailing and she is over 65.  She is sharing a room with her nephew who is 19.  I priced out something showing senior discounted (Mason Jar lunch) that we already purchased.  Me and my wife in 1 stateroom were still $30.99, my MIL was $27.99 BUT her nephew in the same room was $30.99.  So I'd say it is safe to assume that they know the age and will only apply the savings to the passenger(s) that are qualified.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:27 PM, Thom Cruise said:

Why offer discounts to the most financially secure age-bracket of society? 

Sounds like a Reddit argument - not all boomers are financially secured.  Depending on their career and whether their company exists anymore, a pension that they may have banked on may no longer exist or was paid out early at a fraction of the intended value, 401k accounts weren't prevalent for many until the 1990's when they were in their 40s leaving their market earning potential limited, inflation has outpaced SSA income, and while some may have appreciated housing values, not everyone is hanging onto a house bought for $50k @ 12%APR (when making $2.25/hr) as an appreciated asset (many have taken that equity and upsized or downsized houses over the years). 

The over 65 population does have more time and tends to cruise more than non-retirees, but they don't always spend on extras like dining and drink packages as their goal is the adventure, not spending onboard.  Inclusive dining options are perfect for many and buying a couple drinks (if they don't get free ones from status) is cheaper than buying a package. 

Its a marketing push by RCL to drive extra spending and may push someone that was "thinking about it" to "buying it" and as a result, brings in more money where the cruise line has better margins.