Senior and Military Discounts

Mrs. Thomas

Unfortunately, the military discount is almost non-existent.  Every blue moon you will see a fare that permits a military discount but it's really, really rare.  I would not expect to see any kind of military discount and then be extremely happy if one shows up.

As for the senior discount, if your parents have no Crown & Anchor status then a senior discount might apply.  I wouldn't look for it to be much but since I haven't qualified for a senior discount - maybe ever (I'm certainly old enough but never seem to see a senior discount apply 😪) I'm not sure how much it would likely be.  Not much, I'm guessing...

A senior discount isn't an automatic thing. You have to tick the box on the promotions page when making a booking and sometimes there will be one and sometimes there won't.

We have had some success with getting them and sometimes the savings have been substantial. On Odyssey in May last year we got $402 in senior savings, $538 on Anthem in September last year and again on Anthem but in April this year, $137 on one cabin (booked just for me) and $182 on our other cabin (DH + DS, despite the fact that DS is not a senior).

So it's definitely worth ticking that box when you're pricing a cruise.

My parents have never cruised before. My husband and I are little ole Gold C&A members. Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be something. I looked at going on a different sailing on Freedom but I really think my kiddos will have more fun on Symphony considering their age at the time. I'm just trying to find ways to save money as much as possible for us all. I'll just have to make sure I talk things through with my TA.

I have had luck here and there with the Senior discount…but most of the time now Royal will give you either that or the CAS discount for my current level of Platinum when I book a Balcony.  I will be Emerald after my November cruise but I think the discount remains the same.  Now…the couple we cruise with got an unbelievable discount for our November cruise because he is a fireman!  
At any rate…discounts are what they are and often change from sale to sale!

I'm eligible for either a senior discount or a military veteran discount. One or the other discount used to pop up occasionally last year ... not this year.   It is sad because the military discounts used to be substantial.

I still look for opportunities to reprice a cruise but those opportunities are few and far between too.   I don't recall seeing any discounts this year except for C&A discounts.  Price increases are mostly what I see.  I'm glad I booked my remaining cruises last year.

@Dad2Cue I'm hoping that using a TA will help me out. Unfortunately, I am like many people and not overly flexible at when we can go. We have to go around school times and this year it's because of birthdays. Those birthdays just so happen to be around Easter. Hopefully this won't effect the discount too much as we are on a bit of a budget. The nice thing is that planning ahead can help with that.

on RCCL discounts are for specific cruises only, not across the board, and discount amount varies.  They are certainly not what they were pre-Covid, but then again nothing is.  Get a good agent, or for self service, use Vacations To Go as a search engine, and select the type of discounts you qualify for, they will clearly show the book rate, and the discounted rate for all categories underneath in yellow.