Question about cruises being cancelled by cruise line.

Socialized with a passenger couple on my most recent cruise last weekend and the topic brought up was how they had a booked cruise cancelled on them by royal caribbean.  I didn't think too much of it aside from sympathizing with them and moving on to more cheerful conversation.

Thinking back on this event, I have so many followup questions brewing due to paranoia and my overly cautious nature when it comes to planning my vacations.

I've made a list of question I hope someone could help answer in regards to "if" and what to do if royal caribbean cancels your cruise

Questions

• What happens if you've already paid for the cruise, excursions, drink packages, dining packages, prepaid gratuities, port fees/taxes, etc?
  • what happens if you've already paid for round trip flight tickets corresponding to that cruise sailing?
  • Does royal caribbean fairly compensate and what do they compensate for?
  • Does cancellation happen often and reasons that could cause this to happen?
  • Does cancellation happen days or weeks or months prior to sailing date?

If anyone has more helpful input to add to this topic it would be most appreciated! Just compiling information to confidently deal with the situation should it ever arise for anyone.

Let's try to answer these 1 at a time 

What happens with stuff you've paid for? If you booked through royal,  then it refunded automatically. 

What about airfare? If booked through air2sea, it will be refunded.  If booked some other way, you'll have to work with the airline.  If you have travel insurance, it might help as well

Does royal fairly compensate? This is handled on a case by case basis. 

Does this happen often and why? Not often, but most frequent cruisers have had it happen.  There are many reasons. Sometimes there's mechanical or weather problems. Sometimes they redeploy the ship. Sometimes the ship is chartered. 

How far in advance does this happen? Depends on why it happens. Weather or mechanical issues will be days or weeks prior.  Redeployment will be months or years in advance. 

I hope this is helpful 

Below is an example cancellation letter.

Typically when they cancel a cruise they will offer a couple of options with the ultimate option of a full refund of money paid.  

As far as airfare, the typical compensensation is $200 per person for domestic and $400 per person for international.   Their assumption is you will get something from your airline such as a flight credit to use for a different trip.  The $200/$400 is to cover any change fees an airline might levy.  If you booked your airfare through Royal's Air2Sea program then everything airfare related is refunded.  

In my experience the alternates that are offered never work for me so I typically go the refund option.  In my opinion when sailing in suites the alternate options rarely work out but when in a regular cabin the alternate options are more appealing.

As far as frequency I can recall six times when it has happened to me.  Three of those are from a full charter occurring.  One time a crane in a shipyard fell on the ship.  Twice they redeployed the ship (such as below).  

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

To enhance your experience, we’ve adjusted the itinerary for our upcoming March 16th, 2024 Rhapsody of the Seas sailing. Rhapsody will now sail a 7-Night Southern Caribbean itinerary.

The time and effort you took to plan your cruise is important to us, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Every aspect of your time with us should be enjoyable, so we’ve put together some alternate options that we hope will work for you and those in your party.

Option 1: Stay on our new Rhapsody of the Seas 7-Night Southern Caribbean sailing. Below is the updated itinerary for your review:

<itinerary omitted for brevity>

What you’ll receive:

• We’ll move you to a like for like stateroom once the new sailing becomes available. Please note, in the meantime, you may be moved to a GTY category while we work to complete this process. Once your stateroom has been assigned, you’ll receive an updated invoice with all of the new details.
  • Your original stateroom category price will either be protected at your original cruise fare rate or reduced to the current cruise fare rate (whichever is lower). This excludes taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items. 
    • If your booking was already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we’ll provide you with a refund for the difference. You can expect to receive your refund to your original form of payment within 14 business days after we move you. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • You’ll also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased transportation change fees incurred (such as a flight, train ticket, or rental car). 
    • We’ll cover up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic changes, or up to $400 USD per guest for International changes.
    • Please email your receipts and booking information to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com for review and reimbursement.
    • If you have any travel expenses beyond these amounts, please send us the receipts including a brief summary of these expenses for review.

Option 2: Re-book any other Royal Caribbean International sailing.

• If you prefer to re-book another sailing, we’ll waive any non-refundable deposit change fees.
  • Please know, you’ll be responsible for any difference in pricing for your cruise fare, taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items. 
    • If your booking was already paid in full and your cruise fare rate decreases, we’ll provide you with a refund for the difference. You can expect to receive your refund to your original form of payment within 14 business days after we move you. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • You’ll also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased transportation change fees incurred (such as a flight, train ticket, or rental car). 
    • We’ll cover up to $200 USD per guest for Domestic changes, or up to $400 USD per guest for International changes.
    • If you have any travel expenses beyond these amounts, please send us the receipts including a brief summary of these expenses for review.

Option 3: If you can’t find a new itinerary that works for you and choose to cancel, we’ll be sad to see you go, but hope you’ll come back soon. You’ll receive: 

• A full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare (including non-refundable deposits) and any pre-paid amenities to the original form of payment within 14 business days. Kindly note, refund times may vary depending on your financial institution.
    • If you used a Future Cruise Credit on this sailing and you request a refund instead, we’ll refund any NEW funds paid above the certificate amount and we’ll reinstate your original certificate.  
  • Please know, if you choose this option, we will not provide additional compensation.

There are a lot of moving parts when it comes to updating sailings and rebooking all guests, and we may need to temporarily place your booking into a Guarantee (GTY) status while we work to complete this process. We ask for your patience as we work to make this process as easy as possible for you.

It’s important to us that you find the best vacation option. Please call us at 888-281-9344 or contact your Travel Advisor by August 29th, 2023, to let us know your decision. We’ll send an updated reservation confirmation with your revised details to the email address on file as soon as your reservation has been completely updated with the pricing fully adjusted. If we haven’t heard from you by August 29th, 2023, you’ll remain booked in a like for like stateroom on the NEWMarch 16th, 2024 Rhapsody of the Seas sailing.

During covid the net was we rebooked at a higher price even with extra credit. This year our 24 Hawaii cruise was cancelled and all we were offered was 50 OBC. The other options didn't work. Last minute cancellations are the worse because of fare increases since original booking. PS. Our travel insurance was rolled over to new dates by Allianz.

I have been on 2 cancelled cruises.  One was cancelled about 5 years ago, about 3 days prior to cruise. RC gave us our money back for things we already paid,  The hotels and other expenses we used our trip insurance to cover.   The other cancellation was more like 20 years ago and RC booked the ship out to a private function, and was given maybe 2 months notice. That was 1 week of a back-to-back cruise so I was bummed.  I did go on just the 1 week cruise though, and was given back any monies I paid to RC.

1 minute ago, Linda R said:

I have been on 2 cancelled cruises.  One was cancelled about 5 years ago, about 3 days prior to cruise. RC gave us our money back for things we already paid,  The hotels and other expenses we used our trip insurance to cover.   The other cancellation was more like 20 years ago and RC booked the ship out to a private function, and was given maybe 2 months notice. That was 1 week of a back-to-back cruise so I was bummed.  I did go on just the 1 week cruise though, and was given back any monies I paid to RC.

I'm fine with RC refunded the full amount paid for the booking but at that point its not about the money. Canceling a cruise 3 days before sailing is absolutely unprofessional if it wasn't for a valid reason. I can't imagine waiting months sometimes over a year, count the days to come and had it cancelled.

Trip insurance is the shady part for me since I always opt out of travel insurance. Who do you use or how do you go about getting compensated or cost outside cruise fare like hotel/flight?

8 minutes ago, VillainsGin said:

I'm fine with RC refunded the full amount paid for the booking but at that point its not about the money. Canceling a cruise 3 days before sailing is absolutely unprofessional if it wasn't for a valid reason. I can't imagine waiting months sometimes over a year, count the days to come and had it cancelled.

Trip insurance is the shady part for me since I always opt out of travel insurance. Who do you use or how do you go about getting compensated or cost outside cruise fare like hotel/flight?

The cruise that was cancelled 3 days before a cruise was not anything RC could do anything about.  A crane fell on Oasis in port and damaged ship.  Not the fault of the cruise line at all.  The ship could not be sailed.  But I mentioned it because I showed you what RC did with refunds, etc.  

I use private travel insurance to cover other expenses other than the monies that were paid to RC.  There are several companies to use.  I always book thru a travel agent too, and they can handle the insurance for you.  Plus putting in a claim if you need to.  I have personally had to cancel a couple cruises at last minute due to medical issues.  And was so glad I had travel insurance as they covered everything.

Just now, Linda R said:

The cruise that was cancelled 3 days before a cruise was not anything RC could do anything about.  A crane fell on Oasis in port and damaged ship.  Not the fault of the cruise line at all.  The ship could not be sailed.  But I mentioned it because I showed you what RC did with refunds, etc.  

I use private travel insurance to cover other expenses other than the monies that were paid to RC.  There are several companies to use.  I always book thru a travel agent too, and they can handle the insurance for you.  Plus putting in a claim if you need to.  I have personally had to cancel a couple cruises at last minute due to medical issues.  And was so glad I had travel insurance as they covered everything.

I book my cruises as soon as they are available, usually 2 years in advance. That is when you get the best price. 

3 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I usually use Travel Insured for my travel insurance.  When you put in a claim you can get forms online and then I (or my travel agent) mails them.   You need to include receipts for items you paid and show that they are not refundable.  Hotels, train tickets, museum entrance fees, etc.   

4 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I book my cruises as soon as they are available, usually 2 years in advance. That is when you get the best price. 

I personally can't fathom counting down 2 years the anticipation and anxiety would have ended me long before haha.

I wish i had the discipline to book years ahead of time for cost effectiveness but society had molded me with instant gratification everywhere. 😭

1 minute ago, VillainsGin said:

I personally can't fathom counting down 2 years the anticipation and anxiety would have ended me long before haha.

I wish i had the discipline to book years ahead of time for cost effectiveness but society had molded me with instant gratification everywhere. 😭

I take several cruises a year, so always have one coming up fairly soon.  So booking 2 years in advance is not an issue and I have more to look forward to!

Just now, Linda R said:

I take several cruises a year, so always have one coming up fairly soon.  So booking 2 years in advance is not an issue and I have more to look forward to!

I am now retired, but when I did work I was self employed.  So getting the time off was not an issue and I had the control.  But if you work for a company or have children in school, etc.  it isn't as easy to know if you can get the time off.  Especially a year or 2 in advance.  Just enjoy your cruises when you have them!

4 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I am now retired, but when I did work I was self employed.  So getting the time off was not an issue and I had the control.  But if you work for a company or have children in school, etc.  it isn't as easy to know if you can get the time off.  Especially a year or 2 in advance.  Just enjoy your cruises when you have them!

Unfortunately not retired, I have ways to go working for corporate 😭

I take any and all cruise when I can, If possible to forecast I definitely would. Nowadays the furthers I book out to is 6 months and I start lining them up from there.

8 hours ago, VillainsGin said:

Trip insurance is the shady part for me since I always opt out of travel insurance.

You might want to rethink this piece.  Don't get travel insurance for fear of losing money on things that have to be cancelled.  get it because if you have a health emergency at sea an evacuation can be a life changing expense.  I never get it for land vacations, but always for cruises.

8 hours ago, VillainsGin said:

I book out to is 6 months and I start lining them up from there.

You might also want to rethink this piece.  Try to book further in advance and seek out refundable deposits.  Even though they will cost a bit more than the NRD rate that day, you will almost certainly harvest savings over the rate you end up paying.  Alternatively you could book them NRD and then if you change to another cruise, you lose only $100 of the deposit per person.  You are likely, overall, to still come out way ahead.  I'm booked through May 2025 currently.

I've been involved in only one cancellation.  Although ultimately I was refunded every cent, it took many months and many difficult conversations.  Each time I talked with Royal, their excuse changed.  Sometimes they'd even claim I was already refunded, when I absolutely was not.  They claimed they would investigate, but I never received follow ups.  Then I would have to start over.

Sadly, our airline refund was equally difficult. 

So although it's comforting to know that cruisers will be refunded for cancellations, be aware that if you're needing this money to book another cruise, or otherwise pinching pennies for any reason, you could be awaiting your refund for an extended period. 

On 8/26/2023 at 1:55 AM, Xaa said:

You might want to rethink this piece.  Don't get travel insurance for fear of losing money on things that have to be cancelled.  get it because if you have a health emergency at sea an evacuation can be a life changing expense.  I never get it for land vacations, but always for cruises.

You might also want to rethink this piece.  Try to book further in advance and seek out refundable deposits.  Even though they will cost a bit more than the NRD rate that day, you will almost certainly harvest savings over the rate you end up paying.  Alternatively you could book them NRD and then if you change to another cruise, you lose only $100 of the deposit per person.  You are likely, overall, to still come out way ahead.  I'm booked through May 2025 currently.

is May 2025 open now?  I looked recently and only went thru April, and only certain cruises.