How often do they paint the exterior of the ships?

Wondering besides dry dock, how often do they paint the bow and exterior of the ships?  

We were on Harmony earlier this year, and they were routinely painting the bow at different ports.   We are scheduled to be on Oasis in March of next year, and was was watching a YouTube video of Oasis in PC on June 25, and I’ve never seen a RC ship with so much rust on the side.  I get it, nature will take its course, but this ship looks worse than other ships in the same class.

Here is the video I am referring to:  https://youtu.be/qpNhlu6Y6Nk  Views of rust are at 3:30 and 3:38.

What gives?

Its only around the anchor and the crew doorway for docking... notice the back looks fine.  It is something that is done on a touch up basis pretty regularly, but may be just delayed on getting it done due to other priorities or weather issues.  But you'll see crew with rollers regularly outside ships to touch up the bad spots.  

In Galveston for Allure they have been painting on the ship's exterior on the dock side on our last two sailings. They have a motorized lift that the crew were using to get to the high places. It has looked really good lately. They were also varnishing some of the railings during the trip. Standard ongoing maintenance.

On 7/3/2023 at 11:50 PM, squatopus said:

Wondering besides dry dock, how often do they paint the bow and exterior of the ships?  

We were on Harmony earlier this year, and they were routinely painting the bow at different ports.   We are scheduled to be on Oasis in March of next year, and was was watching a YouTube video of Oasis in PC on June 25, and I’ve never seen a RC ship with so much rust on the side.  I get it, nature will take its course, but this ship looks worse than other ships in the same class.

Here is the video I am referring to:  https://youtu.be/qpNhlu6Y6Nk  Views of rust are at 3:30 and 3:38.

What gives?

The bow of the ship specifically around the anchor takes a beating from the sea. Maybe they were waiting on material which was necessary to get the job done or possibly the qualified personnel to perform the work? If they do this maintenance in a US port then there are strict safety regulations regarding OSHA protocol (certifications, PPE exc) that the crew may have needed re-certification on? All this stuff takes time and could cause delays. I can assure you of one thing, the company knows what the ship looks like when it’s docked for the world to see and it’s obviously in their best interest to keep it looking fresh. RC must have had a good reason to not just slop some paint on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...