The key

6 hours ago, Courtney.9 said:

I booked The Key a few months ago and it said you get a lunch on day 1 from chop grills menu, on the website it now says a key special menu. Does anyone know if it’s still from chops or not? Cruising in Harmony in August. 

if It is at Chops... here is a thread from recently that includes the menu... 

57 minutes ago, Xaa said:

I do think changing the wording from a Chops Menu to a "Special" menu gives them latitude for it to be almost anything and not necessarily from Chops going forward.  @Courtney.9, if your cruise is soon, please grab a pic to share so we can see if it is only the wording that has changed up to this point.

Good point... looking at it now in my planner and it doesn't even mention Chops now....

• Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key Signature menu. Savor our signature lunch menu, showcasing guest favorites across appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

I'm officially done with The Key.  If you get early boarding, there is no advantage on boarding with The Key. Mrs Fan and I had The Key.  Our 3 grown kids and their spouses did not.  We arrived at the Smith Cove terminal at the same time. We entered The Key line; they went to the regular line. We all ended up merging to board the ship at the same time and we all walked up the gang way together. There is a small advantage for debarkation as you can kind of choose you own time.  

The Key lunch is very good, but as stated it looks like RCL is keeping its options open to continue to tweak the offering.  I doubt any tweaks will be in favor of the guests. 

The Key benefits keep changing month-by-month! It's a pain to keep track of!

Now, they tweaked it and created some priority boarding access perk (never had problems with my usual early boarding time), added 20% off all specialty dining reservations for the length of cruise when booked on Day 1, and they adopted "fast lanes" for ship activities in addition to usual scheduled Key time periods (sounds like Universal & Disney)...

Prices are ridiculous right now, but that 20% discount may sway someone that has not purchased the UDP and wants the VOOM package if the price is right.

image.png.f339998ea18332f0ae882edee87cafeb.png

Yeah.. still not worth it. The priority boarding\debarkation never sold it for me because I've never had to wait getting on or off the ship. Never bought wifi for the whole family and don't do enough of the special activities like flow rider or ice skating for it to be worthwhile. Literally the lunch is the only thing that sounded appealing to me, and that's not worth paying all that money for. 

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Isn't that 20% off specialty dining old language ?  I thought they offered that during the early days of the restart but subsequently ended it.  I could be wrong.  I've never ever used the Key.

You never know! Lol! 😃 The description has changed a few times, but that “Key Signature menu” lunch wording is present.

We purchased the UDP for the first time, so that 20% discount is not a perk for us.

31 minutes ago, Gilley said:

@WAAAYTOOO you have a lot of cruises under your belt.  Are you Pinnacle or close to it?

My first cruise was back in 1998 on the Empress.  I wish I had staying with cruising.  But I’m back have 4 onto the books now/

Liberty, Anthem, Visions, Icon.

Not offended in the least !  We are very close to being Pinnacle.  Should make it on our 10-13-23 Mariner sailing.  Can't wait !!

Same here- I see a lot of value in having the Key, but to each their own. It was only a few dollars more than internet alone and we will have priority tender in Santorini. I booked an excursion through Viator (1/3 the price of Royal for the same tour), so time is of the essence. We also have a fairly early flight out of FCO, so getting off the ship very early is a must. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the key multiple times. Each time has been an abbreviated version of the chops menu.  I get the filet each time and gf  gets the fish. I enjoyed all the lunches and the royal treatment and most of all getting past the lines that can and do get really long at boarding and leaving time.