Barcelona

Hello, all. First time poster, long time reader of these forums— glad I finally made an account.

We’re Emerald members so while we aren’t new to Royal Caribbean, we are new to the destination we’re going to this summer—we’re cruising out of Barcelona on July 16. Our flight gets in the day before at 10am local time so we’ll be spending the day and night in the city. We’ve booked a room at the H10 Madison in the Gothic Quarter next to the Cathedral. I’ve been browsing through threads here but I’m specifically looking for impressions of the Gothic Quarter from anyone who has stayed there. Any recommendations for restaurants to try in the area? It looks like we’re within walking distance from Las Ramblas but some of the things I’ve been reading indicate this is a tourist trap to avoid although I’m open to impressions from anyone familiar with that specific area, too. Furthermore, are there any specific activities you’d recommend as an “absolutely-must-do” while in Barcelona for the day?

Thanks in advance for any impressions offered 😊

5 hours ago, Shaun530 said:

Hello, all. First time poster, long time reader of these forums— glad I finally made an account.

We’re Emerald members so while we aren’t new to Royal Caribbean, we are new to the destination we’re going to this summer—we’re cruising out of Barcelona on July 16. Our flight gets in the day before at 10am local time so we’ll be spending the day and night in the city. We’ve booked a room at the H10 Madison in the Gothic Quarter next to the Cathedral. I

Thanks in advance for any impressions offered 😊

We stayed at Hotel Colon at Cathedral. Good location. Restaurants and cafes nearby. Flea markets sell silver that is really just plated, so it's good to be cautious as in any city. Little things like the market two blocks away can be fun. How far you walk is up to you, but some Barcelona sights need a cab or bus.

Okay...I've visited Barcelona maybe 12+ times...including two cruises out of Barcelona in the past year (Vision of the Seas August 2022, Symphony of the Seas April 2023).  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Barcelona. First, you didn't leave yourself nearly enough time.

Must sees?  It's a LONG list...but, we will give it a try:

1)  La Sagrada Familia:  Absolutely the most incredible cathedral...maybe even the most incredible building...anywhere in the world.  A masterwork by the mad genius Gaudi.

2)  Parc Guell:  Another Gaudi Masterwork.  Nothing like it anywhere.

Note:  To visit either of these, you may need to arrange tickets in advance (talking about an inside visit to La Sagrada Familia.  You are free to visit the outside).

3)  Casa Batllo.  Yeah, Gaudi again.

4)  Casa Mila.  One more by Gaudi.

5)  Museo Picasso.  Not far from you, in the Barri Gotic.

6)  La Boqueria:   The market...on Las Ramblas

7)  Everything else--Las Ramblas, the Barri Gotic, the Old Cathedral, the Jewish Ghetto, Montjuic.

There is a lot more outside the city.  In the future plan several days--head to Girona (Medeival city where parts of Game of Thrones were filmed), Figueras (home of Salvador Dali with the Dali Museum), Andorra (yeah, the country in the Pyrrenes), Montserrat (Monastery in the mountains).

Las Ramblas is not a "tourist trap".  It is the heart of the city and a great thoroughfare for a stroll--night or day.  H10 is a great hotel chain.  Last few visits, we've stayed at the H10 Catalunya Plaza--one of my favorite hotels anywhere...and the BEST location in the city--right on the Placa Catalunya.  I cannot say enough about the place--outstanding breakfast, free "welcome" drink at the bar...chocolates, wine and more delivered to the room, gratis...great staff.

Have fun.  Enjoy!

Good morning,
There is no problem to visit bario gotico on foot. You will actually be a few minutes walk from the ramblas. on the Ramblas, there are two options: down to the port and the sea or up to the Plaza de Catalunya and Gracia (for example, visit Gaudí’s palaces or the Sagrada Familia). Right next to the H10 Madison, I recommend visiting the Palace of Catalan Music.
On the Plaza de Catalunya you will find the tourist office which will give you all the necessary information. It is a very beautiful city, easy to visit.

Thank you all for the replies. These are certainly helpful in figuring out our day in the city 🙂 

We're excited for this trip. We did Alaska in 2019 and had planned to sail the Mediterranean the following year but we all know how that turned out. This one has been a long time coming and some of the feedback I'm reading here is really driving up my excitement level for the trip. 

14 hours ago, CynBeth said:

Just wanted to say hi we will be sailing out of Barcelona a few weeks before you barring anything unexpected. 

Just curious what shore excursions you're planning for your trip? Rome looks like our longest day right now and we've had an excursion booked since Black Friday but a 10 1/2 hour day running around is longer than anything we've booked in the past when sailing in the Caribbean. 

We did the Hop-on/Hop-off bus in Barcelona.  Made it easy to see the sights.  There are several companies and most if not all, have multiple loops around the city as the sights are pretty spread out. Parc Guell is out on the edge of the city on a high hilltop. Great views but be ready to do some walking.

Make reservations or pre-buy tickets (don't remember which exactly) to get into the Sagrada. I just remember that the lines are long if you just showed up to get in.  

Dinner is late, late.  Anytime before 9:00 pm and you are a pariah. LOL

Mealtimes in Barcelona: When You’ll Be Eating Lunch, Dinner, and In-Between Meals - Eater

You are correct about La Rambla. Tourists galore and lots of tacky stuff for sale. Not worth the time or effort to navigate the masses. We did find some kind of market that had booths selling food stuff and produce.  

8 hours ago, Shaun530 said:

Just curious what shore excursions you're planning for your trip? Rome looks like our longest day right now and we've had an excursion booked since Black Friday but a 10 1/2 hour day running around is longer than anything we've booked in the past when sailing in the Caribbean. 

We also were supposed to be on a Med cruise in 2020. It was cancelled a few times and then did not feel comfortable traveling too far last summer. Some of the ports are different the the original one but no big deal. We are flying in to Barcelona a few days early and booked Casa Battlo and Casa Mila for mid to late afternoon on arrival day hoping we land in the morning as we are supposed to. The next day we reserved Sagrada with Tower for the first slot in the morning and then Parc Guell for mid afternoon. We are hoping to squeeze in Montjuïc and the aquarium. For the cruise my elderly Mom is traveling with us and we thought most of the excursions would be too much she is a slow walker and does not have much stamina. We did book Aix on your own for Marseilles. For Nice we are thinking of taking the train to Monaco. For Genoa they have a hop on hop off bus to different attractions. Portofino we might just walk around. For Livorno we are thinking of taking the train to Pisa. Unfortunately tickets for the Leaning Tower are not available yet. After the cruise we are spending 2 nights in Venice and booked the bell tower, St. Mark’s, and Doge’s Palace. Are hoping to get to Murano but might not have time. We are spending 3 nights in Rome and booked the Vatican Museums. Also would like to see the cathedral and a few of us want to do the dome climb. Hoping to get colosseum tickets next week. 

Gothic Quarter is a great place to stay. With one day in Barcelona I’d prioritize either Park Guell or Segrada Familia, whichever sounds more interesting to you. Check TripAdvisor for restaurants. Las Ramblas is fine but most restaurants on it will be tourist traps so never sit down without checking reviews first.  

Totally agree with that if I have to be the victim of one or the other @Ray.

Couple of differentiators though are that pickpockets are very stealth and can get many victims in the same crowd an area in a specific timeframe.  Also because of the stealthness, the victims don't know they've been robbed and when they become aware don't know when it occurred.

The gunpoint mugger creates a scene and then must flee which makes the interaction with the victim more dangerous, but creates fewer interactions.  The victim is clearly aware they've been robbed and don't find out after they eat dinner with their family and have no ability to pay.

I prefer neither of course and as I said if I must be the victim of one or the other I prefer the less dangerous pick pocket.  On likelihood of occurrence in daylight, pickpockets will be more prevalent.

No reason not to visit places, but a definite reason to maintain heightened vigilance.