Cigars

DAS cigars in St. Maarten are absolutely phenomenal. I researched what cigars were on the island and found DAS cigars. Once I got off of the ship, I saw the Das store and I went over and started talking to the gentlemen that was sitting there. He explained all of the verities and I asked if I could sit there and enjoy one with him before I bought any. He said can I cut and light it for you? We sat there and enjoyed the beautiful day with a great stick. He asked what my name was and I asked him what his was - and said, I am Das! I was thinking holy cow, sitting here with the man himself. What a great experience and Das was such a gentlemen. I highly recommend Das if you are in St. Maarten. 

Das.jpg

6 hours ago, Liftedhands said:

DAS cigars in St. Maarten are absolutely phenomenal. I researched what cigars were on the island and found DAS cigars. Once I got off of the ship, I saw the Das store and I went over and started talking to the gentlemen that was sitting there. He explained all of the verities and I asked if I could sit there and enjoy one with him before I bought any. He said can I cut and light it for you? We sat there and enjoyed the beautiful day with a great stick. He asked what my name was and I asked him what his was - and said, I am Das! I was thinking holy cow, sitting here with the man himself. What a great experience and Das was such a gentlemen. I highly recommend Das if you are in St. Maarten. 

Well, did you buy any?

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Well, did you buy any?

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Well, did you buy any?

Absolutely! White label Toro's

They have a medium, mild and bold available. I bought the white label 5 pack for 60 bucks. The 10 pack comes in a great cedar box (I should have bought the 10 pack)

Das 2.jpg

das 1.jpg

La Casa De Habanos (LCDH) shop in Aruba was small but the cigars were good.  Prices have climbed a bit on Habanos since 2020 but if you are looking for authentic Cubans, this is a good stop.  Walk to the right after getting to the main road outside the cruise port, over the small bridge and down to the shopping center.  Its in the middle of the three rows of shops - when you see Starbucks, you are in the right spot.

Cigar Emporium in Aruba is also good and has legit sticks. I haven't been in there recently though.

38 minutes ago, dmattinson said:

La Casa De Habanos (LCDH) shop in Aruba was small but the cigars were good.  Prices have climbed a bit on Habanos since 2020 but if you are looking for authentic Cubans, this is a good stop.  Walk to the right after getting to the main road outside the cruise port, over the small bridge and down to the shopping center.  Its in the middle of the three rows of shops - when you see Starbucks, you are in the right spot.

Cigar Emporium in Aruba is also good and has legit sticks. I haven't been in there recently though.

This is the info I was hoping for on this thread. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely look into this when I’m Aruba. 

While on board the Adventure of the Seas last August a group of us were discussing cigars on evening in the Concierge Lounge and discovered a number of us enjoyed a nice cigar.  We would meet on the appropriate deck and enjoy our cigars and swap stories.  One of the people in the group was Paul and we discovered we also rode motorcycles.  Since the cruise we've met up and rode the Smoky Mountains and enjoy our cigars.  We are now scheduled for another cruise on the Liberty.  I sure wish the RCCL ships offered a cigar lounge.  

Bill

Not an aficianado, hell I don't even know what I'm doing inside a humidor. Nonetheless, there's something about a cruise, a cigar and a drink. Last November on our Oranjestad, Aruba port call, I found the Authentic Cigar Lounge very close to the port off the main drag/shopping area. Told the extremely knowledgeable lady behind the counter I wanted a nice, mild cigar that wasn't the size of a sequoia tree. She suggested a local hand rolled cigar of Dominican tobacco, sized as Roger Miller said in song "short but not too big around". Bought 3, lit one up and stopped and bought a $4 cup of ice cold Montana Beer, sat at a table and watched the passengers as they walk back to the pier, Jewel in the background. Nirvana............

Makes me wonder why I spent 50 years in Marlboro Country.

3 hours ago, Paid4c4 said:

While on board the Adventure of the Seas last August a group of us were discussing cigars on evening in the Concierge Lounge and discovered a number of us enjoyed a nice cigar.  We would meet on the appropriate deck and enjoy our cigars and swap stories.  One of the people in the group was Paul and we discovered we also rode motorcycles.  Since the cruise we've met up and rode the Smoky Mountains and enjoy our cigars.  We are now scheduled for another cruise on the Liberty.  I sure wish the RCCL ships offered a cigar lounge.  

Bill

Brotherhood of the leaf! Thanks for sharing. I live close to the smokies to. 

Cigars are a different world entirely from cigarettes, pot, vaping, etc.  It's a shame they are still shunned all the same, and now relegated to the same outdoor area on deck as anyone smoking anything else.  The connoisseur clubs were great, I am glad I got to experience one on Freedom before they took them away.  I am not a huge cigar smoker, only have them occasionally, but there are few better spots to enjoy a cigar than on the high seas!    

On 5/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, dmattinson said:

I was at Cigar Emporium and got some in February.  Everything passed the sniff test for legitimacy.  Prices are still super high for Cubans at the moment, and with the (small, but ever present) risk of confiscation at customs, I only bought a dozen or so and no high dollar (Cohiba, etc).

On 5/22/2023 at 6:47 PM, GatorCruiser said:

Supposedly gulhomars on front street in Sxm has Cubans. I have purchased there twice now and they appear legit. Not to mention the insane bourbon selection they have. 

In SXM, head to the French side and hit the LCDH - only place I trust as there are just too many good looking counterfeit cigars being made of floor sweepings and rejected leaf.  

And in Mexico, avoid any Cubans at all costs - they are most ALL counterfeits unless you find a LCDH in a city.  

4 minutes ago, dmattinson said:

In SXM, head to the French side and hit the LCDH - only place I trust as there are just too many good looking counterfeit cigars being made of floor sweepings and rejected leaf.  

And in Mexico, avoid any Cubans at all costs - they are most ALL counterfeits unless you find a LCDH in a city.  

Yup I’m a big la casa del Habanos guy , I just  didn’t have time to get I the French side on that trip. 
I went there when I was in st kitts. Had a smoke a bourbon . Cheers !

• 4 months later...

I often buy cigars in port while on a cruise.  I bring them home, share them with the boys, and we thoroughly enjoy them.  What I've bought have been very nice cigars.

But the real cigar experts continually tell me whatever I've bought down there are counterfeits.  Feel my balloon deflate?

If they are counterfeit, or even if they are just re-labeled, they must have done so with otherwise nice cigars, as these have truly been good cigars, at least to me and the boys.

I continually look at the cigars for sale on the ship.  I buy individual cigars only for immediate use.   The cigars I used to get in the cigar lounges were very high quality and well kept cigars.  The cigar lounges were well tended.  A good cigar, a good whiskey, and good company...   I miss the cigar lounges.   🤩

• 3 weeks later...

I buy a cigar or 2 for my general manger every time I cruise. As a

thank you for carrying the load while I'm gone.

I bought him a box of ten of the DAS cigars. He tells me they are really good burn real even and last quite awhile.

He says he will be ordering some more from DAS.

Thanks for the help in finding him a great cigar.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Coming from Australia where Cigar prices are stupidly expensive, I usually bring enought Cigars on board to last me the duration of the Cruise, but now I found that RC has a fairly good selection on board at reasionable prices.

I enjoy having a smoke while on board.  Now Every time I cruise I join the Facebook group for the Cruise and host an event where like-minded cigar smokers can get together and enjoy a cigar , on our last cruise, we had 7 people in the group mostly from the US but also one from New Zealand who was living in Australia and  myself we also had a ex New York Cop, an Native American Elder a IT guy from Texas a Real estate Guy from Washington State and a Guy that I can’t remember where he came from but he smoked a pipe, We swapped stories shared a few drinks and enjoyed each other’s company.

This is what it’s about, so if your ever on a cruise out of Australia, check out the FB page for the cruise and see if I’m onboard and arranging a Cigar and Whiskey catchup. 

Sweepa, this is what it is all about! You nailed it! Thank you for sharing. I just got off of the Independence OTS out of Florida and they did offer some cigars, but i am not sure if they keep them in a humidor to they stay fresh. I don't see them moving to many, so they could be dry. I would say, take your own like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, dmattinson said:

Will be in Aruba next month, this is very helpful, thank you 

Nice thread resurrection.  And a thread such as this always remains timely.

We understand, cigars are not for everybody.  But for some of us, a nice cigar is a pastime other than just smoking the cigar.  I have had some great visits with other cigar folks when the cigar lounges existed aboard Royal ships. 

That all said, even I don't smoke cigars often.  Far less than my younger days.  And that's partially  because I seldom smoke a cigar alone, and we're running out of places to smoke a cigar and running out of folks to share the experience.  

I've said before, I no longer know if I am buying a genuine product when I am in the Caribbean.  So many folks insist they are too often counterfeit.  Sounds like an extreme generalization.  But when I do smoke a Caribbean or Central American cigar, they have been mostly enjoyable.

And if a feller thinks he can buy cigars in the islands for less than at home, think again.  I have found cigars, abroad, to be very expensive.

So I just buy one or a few cigars at a time, and enjoy them.

if you stop in Grand Cayman, there is a LCDH there on the street where the tender ferries dock and they are fine, but there is another shop a block or so off the waterfront called Old Havana Cigars that are legit and priced well enough for the current conditions.  They were cheaper than LCDH for the sticks I was looking for (Partagas Serie D No 4) by enough to be considerable.

Also, while the selection was limited, the LCDH in Bonnaire had prices comparable to Old Havana In GC.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:12 AM, Liftedhands said:

This is the info I was hoping for on this thread. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely look into this when I’m Aruba. 

The Cigar Emporium in Aruba I tried to stop at in September but they were taking a long lunch and I didn't get a chance to see what they actually have BUT it is close to the cruise pier in the shopping center with the pink buildings, even closer than the LCDH. 

On 3/17/2024 at 3:40 PM, WAYNO said:

Nice thread resurrection.  And a thread such as this always remains timely.

We understand, cigars are not for everybody.  But for some of us, a nice cigar is a pastime other than just smoking the cigar.  I have had some great visits with other cigar folks when the cigar lounges existed aboard Royal ships. 

That all said, even I don't smoke cigars often.  Far less than my younger days.  And that's partially  because I seldom smoke a cigar alone, and we're running out of places to smoke a cigar and running out of folks to share the experience.  

I've said before, I no longer know if I am buying a genuine product when I am in the Caribbean.  So many folks insist they are too often counterfeit.  Sounds like an extreme generalization.  But when I do smoke a Caribbean or Central American cigar, they have been mostly enjoyable.

And if a feller thinks he can buy cigars in the islands for less than at home, think again.  I have found cigars, abroad, to be very expensive.

So I just buy one or a few cigars at a time, and enjoy them.

WAYNO, you are spot on Sir. The brother hood of the leaf always brings conversations. Just last week I had enjoyed a Cohiba Puro Dominican Churchill while sitting Puerta Plata, DR. Pretty enjoyable. See pic 

DR.jpg

On 3/17/2024 at 7:38 PM, tjcruisers said:

Just bought a few Montecristo #4 and Romeo Y Julieta #2. Was hoping it would be warm out this weekend. Youngest son’s 22 bday. Was looking forward to sitting in the back yard, fire pit on, cigar and a glass off Dalmore. Too bad it rained/snowed

tjcruisers, I hope you got to enjoy the company of your son and a great stick. The weather is secondary! 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:24 AM, Liftedhands said:

Das.jpg

Das, has earned a visit from me when we visit in August.  Thank you for the great comments.