Is VOOM Surf and Stream viable for work?

I need to get work done during cruise. I have to connect to the corporate network via a VPN. I usually do this with my laptop at home using my wi-fi. It works fine. Can I use VOOM the same way? That is, use the VOOM wi-fi to connect to my corporate network via VPN.

This is critical. If I can't connect to work, I am not going on the cruise. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Rookie Cruiser said:

I need to get work done during cruise. I have to connect to the corporate network via a VPN. I usually do this with my laptop at home using my wi-fi. It works fine. Can I use VOOM the same way? That is, use the VOOM wi-fi to connect to my corporate network via VPN.

This is critical. If I can't connect to work, I am not going on the cruise. Thanks.

Ho @Rookie Cruiser and welcome to the boards.

I'm pinging another member of the forum who will definitely be able to give you some insight into this.

@twangster can you help?

Most corporate VPN works fine on Voom but there is always a possibility one may not.   

Perhaps you can book time off work and try it for one cruise while officially off from work.

Satellite internet is far from perfect.   Ship wifi is farther from perfect.   No one here knows how your corporate IT has configured your company VPN.   

I've worked often from ships.   My work load can usually be time shifted.  When I had important meetings I would schedule them for port days so I had cellular as a backup.   I sometimes had to use cellular.   

Ship internet will have some hiccups and outages.   Murphy's law will cause an outage right when you need the internet the most.   

My experience is that ship to shore calls and meetings usually work well. But if you need access to more than that or email and simple web stuff, then it is hard to work onboard with voom. If you are doing any regulated work, like iTar or FedRAMP, you technically cannot work on board because those roles by law require you to be on US soil to access those systems. Also, I do a lot of work with 8k streaming requirements, so bandwidth onboard is an issue for me. So it really depends on your role, the nature of your work, and your bandwidth needs if you will be able to successfully work on board. 

I don’t speak as a business person, just a standard WiFi user.  Anthem has been horrific with starlink, worse than when it was Voom.  I was just on Oasis and the WiFi was as close to perfect as can be, even in my forward ov cabin.  The Diamond lounge was spotty after 11pm, I was not in there earlier to do a comparison.  Symphony was very good.  The smaller ships Grandeur and enchantment were not so great. Radiance was very good.  For reference my idea of very hood is being able to go downloads, open web pages, send and receive emails, FaceTime or WhatsApp with family around midnight. 

I have done work on ships. The worst was Mariner but that was before Starlink was put on. It really depends on the type of work you will be doing. Since I am mostly accessing files, sending emails, and having meetings on Teams or Zoom. I have fared pretty well but as other have posted, if you need to work on certain platforms, it can be a risk. I like to let everyone know, ahead of time, whether I will be able to complete anything. 

I've had no problems connecting to VPN, but that will depend at least in part on your corporate IT settings.

90+% of the time, the RCL internet works just fine. But if your job is dependent on absolutely having to be on a specific meeting at a specific time, there is an element of risk involved. So if working on the ship is as vitally important as your initial post makes it sound, trying to work on a cruise might not be for you. 

On 5/15/2023 at 2:10 PM, WesKinetic said:

I've had no problems connecting to VPN, but that will depend at least in part on your corporate IT settings.

90+% of the time, the RCL internet works just fine. But if your job is dependent on absolutely having to be on a specific meeting at a specific time, there is an element of risk involved. So if working on the ship is as vitally important as your initial post makes it sound, trying to work on a cruise might not be for you. 

I think you are correct about corporate settings. My employer's clients include aerospace and defense. High security.

1 hour ago, Rookie Cruiser said:

I think you are correct about corporate settings. My employer's clients include aerospace and defense. High security.

That’s exactly the example I was giving earlier. iTar and FedRAMP both prevent you from working off US soil by regulation. Sorry you had to cancel, and I hope you have time to enjoy a cruise in the future. Trust me, you will enjoy it more by putting work behind you for the trip.