Why do they do this?

Skid

Got an e-mail from RCCL with the subject "looking forward to welcoming you onboard". There are links attached to the cruise planner for making all purchases and reservations. All well and good except that our cruise is over 300 days away and, of course, the cruise planner won't allow doing any of that this early (except for the spa). When going to cruise planner we get this: Uh oh. It looks like you’re trying to reserve a product too far ahead or too close to your sail date. If you have several weeks to go, try reserving closer to your sail date. If you’re sailing soon, please try to reserve this product once you’re onboard. We booked our last cruise a year in advance and do not remember this email issue. I do not want to unsubscribe because some of their emails are actually useful, but it seems like now we will be getting bombarded for a whole year!

RCCL.gif

5 hours ago, Skid said:

Got an e-mail from RCCL with the subject "looking forward to welcoming you onboard". There are links attached to the cruise planner for making all purchases and reservations. All well and good except that our cruise is over 300 days away and, of course, the cruise planner won't allow doing any of that this early (except for the spa). When going to cruise planner we get this: Uh oh. It looks like you’re trying to reserve a product too far ahead or too close to your sail date. If you have several weeks to go, try reserving closer to your sail date. If you’re sailing soon, please try to reserve this product once you’re onboard. We booked our last cruise a year in advance and do not remember this email issue. I do not want to unsubscribe because some of their emails are actually useful, but it seems like now we will be getting bombarded for a whole year!

RCCL.gif

Yeah, I get the same emails and they are frustrating. There have been other post here regarding RCI website, cruise planner, etc software issues/glitches. I think what you are experiencing is one of those issues. I start, in earnest, about 175 days out from sailing to book and buy. Anything greater than that and I get the same "oh oh...." message.  

Royal Caribbean is renowned for having terrible IT systems ... generally you either get drowned in emails that are meaningless or you get nothing at all ... getting actual, relevant emails is basically not an option.

I have had emails on two different occasions telling me how much they are looking forward to me being on a ship that I had never booked on and inviting me to book excursions. Listed my sail date, took me to cruise planner for that specific itinerary and everything :)

18 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Royal Caribbean is renowned for having terrible IT systems ... generally you either get drowned in emails that are meaningless or you get nothing at all ... getting actual, relevant emails is basically not an option.

I have had emails on two different occasions telling me how much they are looking forward to me being on a ship that I had never booked on and inviting me to book excursions. Listed my sail date, took me to cruise planner for that specific itinerary and everything :)

Start packing--maybe the next email will be a set sail pass!! 

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

One of the ones I got was for a semi-local cruise ... I considered showing up with my email just to see what would happen.  My wife didn't think it would be fun to try though :(

Don't forget your passport!:27_sunglasses:

I agree, for a long while, I stopped getting emails, called RCCL, everything was as it should be, went in online and removed my email, added my email multiple time, nothing, then all of a sudden, here they came.

I'm a IT guy, that is what I do for a living and I don't get it, it's like Operations, Marketing and the Web groups, don't work together. If I've already booked a cruise, booked my shore excursions, booked my specialty dinning, VOOM, Spa, etc., then don't send me emails asking me to book all of that again, going so far as listing my cruise details.

I just booked travel for a trade show in Vegas, but didn't book my hotel through the trade show because I wanted my loyalty points, as soon as I cancelled the hotel through the trade show and booked it direct the trade show started sending me emails, saying "Hey" you don't have a hotel booked dummy, better book one or else. These emails I get.. 

If it makes you feel any better, I'm getting similar ensure from Princess to book our do things that I've already done. My guess is that these are batch emails scheduled to be sent at specific intervals prior to your cruise and it's probably not worth the money for then to program an interface between the various systems. 

13 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I'm a IT guy, that is what I do for a living and I don't get it, it's like Operations, Marketing and the Web groups, don't work together. If I've already booked a cruise, booked my shore excursions, booked my specialty dinning, VOOM, Spa, etc., then don't send me emails asking me to book all of that again, going so far as listing my cruise details.

I'm an IT guy too.  I also do not get it!  Makes no sense.  I understand that some of these conditions could be complicated, BUT NOT THIS COMPLICATED!!!  :2_grimacing:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, janza said:

I never get emails. Not in spam. Checked with them while on the phone. They have my correct info which I know because I do get my week ahead concierge email.  That's the one I care about. lol  Oh well.

Same here. Other than booking and payment confirmations, I have never received an email from RCI.

On 6/12/2017 at 3:47 PM, janza said:

I never get emails. Not in spam. Checked with them while on the phone. They have my correct info which I know because I do get my week ahead concierge email.  That's the one I care about. lol  Oh well.

I know...I've put in my email several times...i don't get them but my husband who doesn't plan anything with the cruise gets a gazillion daily!   Arghhh!  Jane