Power supply

jmhvlh

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Yes.  But depending on a bunch of factors...Like the port, the guy doing the screening, Etc., you may get lucky and get it onboard.  

Just curious, what makes it prohibited?  When the item's description says it's a "cruise ship power strip with no surge protection", how is a fairly new cruiser to know?  I have this one that I successfully took on the cruise I took in October; it also says it's safe for cruise ships.

Screenshot_20230413_091410_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I had a power block almost identical to the one above, confiscated a few weeks ago.  The screeners do not know or care about "ship safe/no surge protection".  They just DO.NOT.CARE.  They will not take the time to listen to your plea and they don't do any investigation.  They take it.  You can get it back but it will not go onto the ship with you IF they decide it's not going.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I had a power block almost identical to the one above, confiscated a few weeks ago.  The screeners do not know or care about "ship safe/no surge protection".  They just DO.NOT.CARE.  They will not take the time to listen to your plea and they don't do any investigation.  They take it.  You can get it back but it will not go onto the ship with you IF they decide it's not going.

I ordered it from Parodeejay's Amazon store, thinking that since they've been on almost 100 cruises they should know what's allowed.  Looking at their page this morning, I see mine above and also the one the OP asked about.  Go figure! 😄

17 minutes ago, Southern Waters said:

I ordered it from Parodeejay's Amazon store, thinking that since they've been on almost 100 cruises they should know what's allowed.  Looking at their page this morning, I see mine above and also the one the OP asked about.  Go figure! 😄

I've seen their channel and they are fine, but they get their affiliated commission whether it makes it onboard or not.  What I think @WAAAYTOOO is trying to illustrate is that seizures are often very arbitrary.  While the truly prohibited power strips with surge protection will almost always get taken, those in charge of doing the inspection don't know what they are seeing, don't always know the rule, don't know what they don't know and don't care because once they've made the decision to take it they are going to adhere to that no matter what.

The one the OP posts should be allowed, but will often get taken by those that take anything with a cord.  The one you post, also allowed, is less likely to be taken but might be by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at.

I've had good luck with a usb hub like this one below, but will not be shocked if one day they take that too.  There are rules around what is prohibited, but only you need to follow them.  The folks at the port will enforce whatever they want.

image.png.205e57e1910e2861a1f2f298462f9085.png

21 minutes ago, Xaa said:

I've seen their channel and they are fine, but they get their affiliated commission whether it makes it onboard or not.  What I think @WAAAYTOOO is trying to illustrate is that seizures are often very arbitrary.  While the truly prohibited power strips with surge protection will almost always get taken, those in charge of doing the inspection don't know what they are seeing, don't always know the rule, don't know what they don't know and don't care because once they've made the decision to take it they are going to adhere to that no matter what.

The one the OP posts should be allowed, but will often get taken by those that take anything with a cord.  The one you post, also allowed, is less likely to be taken but might be by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at.

I've had good luck with a usb hub like this one below, but will not be shocked if one day they take that too.  There are rules around what is prohibited, but only you need to follow them.  The folks at the port will enforce whatever they want.

image.png.205e57e1910e2861a1f2f298462f9085.png

Thanks for that explanation; it just illustrates my point.  Someone like me who's fairly new to cruising has no way of knowing what power solution is OK to bring other than no surge protection.  Maybe I should get an additional one of a different type and hope one of them makes it past the willy nilly port inspector.

38 minutes ago, Southern Waters said:

Thanks for that explanation; it just illustrates my point.  Someone like me who's fairly new to cruising has no way of knowing what power solution is OK to bring other than no surge protection.  Maybe I should get an additional one of a different type and hope one of them makes it past the willy nilly port inspector.

It is confusing.  The safest advice is to bring something without a cord that gives you more USB ports.  If there are power outlets or a cord, there's a chance it gets confiscated.  In theory, a simple adapter that changes one European-style power outlet to one US-style power outlet should also be safe but I'm no longer willing to bet money on it.

I should have added....that I had taken that power block on many, many cruises prior to it getting confiscated.  @Xaa is correct.  It's totally arbitrary.  The screeners do not have time to investigate everything they "think" is illegal, so they will, if they choose, confiscate everything.

Yes, the power block is fine.  It should be allowed...but if you get the wrong screener, it will not be.

😔

With all the reports lately of the seemingly random confiscations of plugs, I've bought a couple more of the multiple USB plugs and plan on sticking a few of each in mine and my travel companion's carry on. I'm hoping that at least one or two make it through. It would be nice if there was a standard rule that the screeners follow.

15 minutes ago, smost said:

With all the reports lately of the seemingly random confiscations of plugs, I've bought a couple more of the multiple USB plugs and plan on sticking a few of each in mine and my travel companion's carry on. I'm hoping that at least one or two make it through. It would be nice if there was a standard rule that the screeners follow.

We put a variety of different power blocks in all of our luggage both carry-on and checked.  That way our chances of something getting through is pretty good.  I even stash a power block inside a pair of sneakers.

15 hours ago, jmhvlh said:

Is this prohibited on Royal caribbean

D8B5D6E2-9094-4724-83F8-76C3043DE460.jpeg

What makes this one a problem is 

A. it has a long cord

B. it makes a single 110 outlet into 3

As said above, it seems arbitrary and random oftentimes the way things are enforced; however the 2 points I make above, really makes an item prime for refusal.

BTW there is no such thing as "cruise line approved" power strips; no cruise line endorses any products; this is just marketing jargon to get the sale.

1 hour ago, Southern Waters said:

I have a little cube with 2 USB outlets and the electrical prongs fold up into it.  I'll be taking it along with a couple of others; maybe at least some of them squeak by 🤞

I think this is a fabulous configuration.  If the prongs fold down, the screeners are unlikely to spot it.  👍😉

136C6CA3-FCFD-4E13-B058-A74BEC215A61.thumb.jpeg.11cb91496aa83509bbd69904953d9305.jpeg07D3FC3D-3B72-4C2C-AEBF-B34F207C7B2A.thumb.jpeg.064030deabb0fe8d419ca62647e1f769.jpegWe have used this one for many cruises and never had a problem…Not saying it might not be a problem on our next cruise.   We like that the power cord can be detached and stored somewhere else so all the screener see is the USB hub with out any electrical cord…It seems like if looks like a power strip, it’s going to be confiscated.  We store the power cord in a little USB cord carrier with lots of cords.