Terminal Arrival Time vs. Boarding Time

BethGR

How far in advance of our boarding time should arrive at the terminal? It's been a few years since we cruised and the last few times, we flew. This time we are driving in.

So from arrival at the terminal, dropping bags, parking, how much time should we allow, prior to our actual boarding time? 

Side question - do folks recommend terminal parking, I believe $17 / day vs. alternative offsite parking? Doesn't seem worth it to save $50 or something for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

Your assigned time, which has a 30 min window, is when you arrive at terminal. Some folks arrive a little early. Certain categories have priority, eg. suites, Key. Parking depends on port. We use offsite, but it can cost an hour at disembarkation. Again, boarding times may or may not be enforced, but they serve a purpose.

@BethGR  I drive to the port a lot in California.  I have a 4-hour drive and a large mountain between me and the port.  I give myself 8 hours before the final boarding time and that means I am there a couple of hours before my boarding time.  If my car breaks down, I want time for my son to be able to come pick me up and get me to the port.

Parking,  In the winter time when there might be issues driving I get one of the hotels with a park-and-cruise package.  I can park my car send the night and they drop me off at the cruise ship.  It takes all the stress out of the trip.  In good weather I pay the extra money to be able to park next to the cruise ship and walk on the ship.  It also helps with showing up a couple hours early.  I can sleep in my car until boarding time.

11 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Some folks arrive a little early.

In my experience, some folks arrive SIGNIFICANTLY early. At Seattle, the port workers were walking along the line calling for people with 11:00-11:30 times to move forward and enter the terminal building. The looks on the faces of the people who thought they would be first into the terminal because they were first in line (but had later arrival times) were priceless. 

Gotcha, so your chosen "arrival time" is when you should be pulling into the terminal and dropping your bags, etc. (I understand you do that, or can do that, before even entering the parking garage.) But HeWhoWaits, it seems like if you are there early, you just queue up and wait for your time to be called to enter the actual terminal building?

Thanks all!

26 minutes ago, ScottD said:

What port? Just remember all of the ways into Port of Miami are under construction, took us an hour for what should have been a 15 minute shuttle ride because the tunnel closes in one direction for a few minutes at a time. So add that into your timing if that's where you are boarding.

Sorry, great question and info I should have included. Port Canaveral!

2 hours ago, BethGR said:

Sorry, great question and info I should have included. Port Canaveral!

Port Canaveral is a good way from the airport and such. So, if your check-in time is 11am, you would want to be at the port around 10:30-10:45 because you are parking. I say 30min max is always a decent rule but there will be people who have a 1pm in check-in probably in line at 10:30. They will be waiting, probably outside, unless they are in a suite or pinnacle. 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:12 PM, BethGR said:

Side question - do folks recommend terminal parking, I believe $17 / day vs. alternative offsite parking? Doesn't seem worth it to save $50 or something for the inconvenience.

At Port Canaveral the convenience of walking off the ship and driving off is worth the extra $50. Not having to deal with the shuttle back to the offsite parking is worth it.

20 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

Speaking of Port Canaveral how close to the terminal is the parking. My wife uses a mobility scooter which I have to unload and set up. I like to do it after we've parked if it's not too far?

If you're on Wonder (I think I saw you post in the roll call) as long as the garage isn't full, it's right next to the terminal. I would suggest for boarding day you try to park closer to the left elevators if you can, or at least use those elevators to come down so you will be on the correct side for boarding and not have to navigate the gauntlet from the right side with the scooter.